2006 Trailer light wiring ?

Aircraft Wrench

I have been searching for posts on how to install a "Generic" trailer lighting converter (powered type) and remember someone recently posting how this was accomplished and had mounted the controller command relay modual under the left taillight assy.....I CAN NOT FIND THE POST:hmmm:

I should be :professor: at by you guys as much as possible!!! I am hoping to not have to extend the too short wires from the module to each side of the van....is there a wiring run on the left side that I can "Tap into" for both turn signal lights?

BTW I did the Sikwan deal and got a hitch from JC Whitney...had it modified for an additional receiver at each end...now I'll have a custom tray/bike holder made....I will post pic of the hitch tomorrow ....

Thanks for the help!!

Best regards,

Mr "I'm functioning well for an 8 year old" Jimmy

Jimmy: The installation of a powered, or isolated style of taillight converter is very straightforward for the 06 style sprinter. I beleive the location of harness you need to tap into, splits in the upper rear corner on the driver side. The harness is in the "trough" (where the raised roof beams are attached) the the wires for both taillights are in this harness. Don't forget, you will need to run a power wire forward to the driver seat base to get 12v+for the converter. Once you determine the correct stop/tail wires in which to connect the converter, you will need to get the trailer wiring out thru to the underside of the sprinter. If you look underneath the rear of the Sprinter, at the driver side for instance, behind the rear tire, you will see a 4" round plastic plug which you can run the wires through.

That's where I tapped into my 2004 harness.

Edit: Oops, I just re-read the post. That wasn't where my wiring was. I tapped into my cargo model van wiring harness under the van on the drivers side rear, not up in the gutter by the roof. There's a place tucked up in the frame where the wiring splits off to the passenger side. All the wires I needed were there except the heavy power wire from the battery. I ran a heavy cable fused to 40 amps at the battery. I then split it off to 2 each in-line fuses in the tail light area. One 30 amp for the trailer controller and one 20 amp for a cigarette lighter power outlet mounted up in the rear post for camping. I used a ss 1/4-20 stud for a ground. At least I didn't get the wiring colors wrong. End edit

Wiring colors I found:
Tail/Park: L = Gray/Blk, R = Gray/Red
Stop: L = Red/Blk, R = Blk/Red
Backup: L = Wht/Red, R = Wht/Red
Turn: L = Blk/Wht, R = Blk/Grn

Hope this helps.
Jimmy: The installation of a powered, or isolated style of taillight converter is very straightforward for the 06 style sprinter. I beleive the location of harness you need to tap into, splits in the upper rear corner on the driver side. The harness is in the "trough" (where the raised roof beams are attached) the the wires for both taillights are in this harness. Don't forget, you will need to run a power wire forward to the driver seat base to get 12v+for the converter. Once you determine the correct stop/tail wires in which to connect the converter, you will need to get the trailer wiring out thru to the underside of the sprinter. If you look underneath the rear of the Sprinter, at the driver side for instance, behind the rear tire, you will see a 4" round plastic plug which you can run the wires through.

Last edited:

Aircraft Wrench

DONE!!!

1) Thanks to everyone who has ever posted on this project in some manner...and both of the guys above who put the icing on the cake!!!:bow::bow::clapping::thumbup::rad:

2) Here is the link to the Pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/aviationvibes/VanTrailerHitchAndLightsInstall?authkey=8oO9I1qFk9Y#

Now for the gritty details:::::lol:

1) the wire bundle for the tailights on my 2006 140" SHC 2500 run UNDER the van, along the inside of the left frame rail, the bundle splits by the left rear step bumper attach point and runs above the spare tire to the right side incorporating the "back up" alarm near the inboard side of the right frame rail.

2) the JC Whitney Hitch is a Class III that fit only after removing some of the step bumper lower arm material...about 3/16th of an inch...no holes needed to be drilled or enlarged in the mounting of this hitch (Hidden Hitch/Cequent) The Sprinter frame rails have a spacer positioned/welded INSIDE the rail so the frame is not crushed when the bolts are torqued to 75 Ft/Lbs.

3) I ran the POWER wire for the control module along the existing bundle and when I came to the fuel cell I used a "fish tape" to run the wire thru the frame exiting forward of the cell....enough wire was available with the kit to attach the 20 amp blade fuse holder and have a nice service loop near the battery....The GROUND wire I cut off and installed a 1/4 hole ring terminal and mounted it to the existing ground as seem in one of the pics ( inboard of the left frame rail) at hitch mount area. I ran the wires (two per side) brakes and right turn signal / running and left turn signal in the plastic wire loom and thru the body grommet splicing only the right side with some shielded 22 gauge twisted pair I had in the shop...remember...the wires to the vehicle harness are just used as "Voltage sense" to tripper the control module to power the appropriate circuit for the trailer lights...I removed both tail light bulb holders and each lens assy from the vehicle (THIS MADE IT MUCH EASIER TO FISH THE WIRES UP THE SIDEWALL!) cut and spliced wires into each tail light harness per the wire call out in the above post.......closed up the taillights and went to the in-laws where I hooked up to my FIL's trailer....EVERY THING WORKED GREAT!!!!!!!

I did note I have another bulb out in the van (Right Rear Lower tail light assy) this thing EATS bulbs!!:thumbdown:

I'll be hooking up to the 6X12 tomorrow night...and dragging it home from Duluth on Wednesday.... WHOHOOOO!!

Best regards,

The Highly Functional 8 yr old...Jimmy

Top Bottom