Oil change

papap

Changed oil in sprinter today. I got the interval Reset. But now th engin light is on. Check level and it looks good. Anyone have a clue what to check?

papap

Oh and now instead of just the small wrench it has a bigger wrench also. But it did change mileage to 10000.

papap

It's a 2011. I all o the guy at Dodge service center. He thinks I ove filled oil. I'll drain alittle out in morning and we what happens.

sailquik

papap,
What oil did you use?
How many quarts (liters) did you put in?
If you overfilled it you should get a warning in the console that says "HI".
It's definitely not a "greeting".
Roger

icarus

Depending on the dash display config, you might get a CEL for high oil. Use a vacuum pump to draw out 1/2 quart. Check it with the dip stick first.

Icarus

papap

Ok. I use Mobil 1 oil that is rated 229.51. I drained some oil out. It shows about half way between min and max on dipstick. It lets me rest the 51 screen But engine light is still on and on oil change interval screen there is a small and larger wrench. Also on one screen it shows a code 0208. Anyone have any clues?

This is a 2011 model with no steering wheel controls.

AGP

AGP
I have a 2008 and the mb dealer said light is very sensative. Real issue and tiny amounts either under or over will cause it to come on. I get a oil can indicator

sailquik

Papap,
Did you also refill the DEF fluid?
I have a 2011 MB Sprinter without the steering wheel buttons but I'm only at 6500 miles so I'm not sure how the DEF warning displays yet.
Since oil changes and DEF fluid refills both occur at 10K miles you could also be low on DEF.
Roger

showkey

Papap,
Did you also refill the DEF fluid?
I have a 2011 MB Sprinter without the steering wheel buttons but I'm only at 6500 miles so I'm not sure how the DEF warning displays yet.
Since oil changes and DEF fluid refills both occur at 10K miles you could also be low on DEF.
Roger

That would be sad if Papap's other thread CEL after oil change is low DEF:idunno:

sailquik

Papap,
Did you buy your 2011 Sprinter new?
How many miles have you put on it?
The issues you are experiencing are the reason why I take mine back to the dealer where I bought it, and have them service it according to the Operators and Maintenance manual
requirements.
If I get any sort of issue, it's their problem to fix it under warranty.
Costly.... maybe a little more than DIY.
Worth the additional cost?
I think so!
Roger

papap

I bought it used. It's a 2011 forest river Solera motorhome. I have 9800 mils on it. I took it to dealer today. Took them just a little while to figure out it was a loose hose. Good thing was that they did not charge me anything . They were very nice to me.

HappyFamilyVan

Captain Ahab
I have a 2008 and the mb dealer said light is very sensative. Real issue and tiny amounts either under or over will cause it to come on. I get a oil can indicator
I also have a 2008. Am I doing something to simplistic? I drain oil, replace filter, add 13 full quarts, never more never less, never CEL or HI or LOW oil light.

Also, if you have steering wheel buttons, the computer will show you exactly how much oil you have versus having to use the dip stick.

Last edited:

papap

No steering wheel button. I guess I just pull or bump a hose lose near filter. I'll be more careful next time.

Top Bottom