Oil Change Intervals

Hotratz

I'm pretty sure this subject has been beaten to death in various forums but I'm really curious to know what the Westy community has to say about it.

One indy mechanic I spoke with says 3-5k. Apparently he's still old-school.
I believe the factory interval is 10k. And I know the ASSYST computer will indicate when its due - will this vary from 10k based on some oil quality sensor or is this strictly a mileage countdown?

Couldn't hurt anything but maybe one's wallet for more frequent oil changes - advantages?

Something about 7.5k mi feels right to me but then again I'm not sure.

What are folks here doing?

Speaking of the ASSYST, if one does their own oil changes then the interval must be reset. I recall some youtube video demonstrating this. Something about some sequence of ignition key on/off/on and button push/hold 10 sec something or other.

Kiltym

I do every 10k. There are threads on the T1N forum on resetting the Assyst. The Assyst for me always implies I can go longer then 10k, but I stick with 10k.

I believe in the science of ASSYST and use it to set my OCI.

Some actual facts about ASSYST from Mercedes.

Per BeVo.

For those who may not be familiar with the optional equipment T1N ASSYST Maintenance as to oil changes there is some information here.

It amazes me how much people resist extended oil changes... based upon what? If extended oil changes were truly damaging engines the manufacturers wouldn't recommend them (especially the very conservative Mercedes Benz.) and you'd be reading about the dangers daily from experts on sites like Bobistheoilguy. The majority of oil experts seem to support extended oil changes. Just because there may be a few technicians who have "looked at used oil under a microscope" so I don't go past XXXX miles, doesn't negate lots of other more detailed research.

[Added: In my opinion Mercedes may have gone too far with recommending a 20,000 mile OCI. I would use something closer to a 10,000 mile OCI. I have no data, only opinion.]

All ASSYST does is measure viscosity in a cell with a heating element. It times temperature increase within the cell, differing viscosities taking different times for a given increase or temperature. Other oil qualities aren't assessed.
According to the MB BEVO documentation it does more than just have a test cell.

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/d/d/en/Spec_215_0.pdf

Page #13

3.12 ASSYST Active Service System
With a production breakpoint of February 1997, the
previous maintenance system for passenger cars with rigid
intervals was superseded by an Active Service System
known as "ASSYST".
Beginning with the W 210 4>Matic in 02/97 and phased in on
the remaining model series as of 06/97 (except G 463, 09/97)
the introduction followed.

i see also:
> Introduction into Service manual passenger cars model
series 210 Innovations February/March 1997
> Video "Model series 210 Innovations model year 1997"
> WIS (microfiche) overall system description,
GF00.20>P>0999AZ

"ASSYST" makes it possible for the first time for Mercedes>
Benz to have service intervals of up to 40,000 km or 2 years
(min. 15,000 km or 1 year). The system takes into account
individually the driving style of the customer by evaluating
engine speed, engine temperature, engine load and time.
The timing
of the service required is calculated
and the due date is displayed to the customer in the instrument cluster.

FWIW. vic
As always the original thread/post can be accessed by clicking the blue arrow icon within any quote box.

vic
Have fun with your oil discussion.

:cheers: vic

So, ASSYST is actually like the GM oil condition monitor that measures and monitors several operating parameters?

https://www.yourmechanic.com/articl...t-service-indicator-lights-by-brent-minderler
Yep. It does monitor oil condition and driving/operating.

I can say that I have been impressed that the couple times which I've needed to top off a quart of oil on the 2004, the ASSYST gave me 500 additional miles on the oil change countdown. It wouldn't do that unless the monitor noticed a change from the new oil.

It could be argued that the 500 miles was triggered by the simple level monitor, but from my research it is a more complex monitor system than that.

:2cents: vic

Wasaabi

Sprinter Westfalia #133
Some notes that may be helpful:

- Don't be fooled by oil "looking" dirty. This is normal for diesels.

- I also trust the ASSYST system. The way we use our Westy, which is mostly long drives, the oil life (using Mobil 1 European Car Formula 0w-40) definitely exceeds 10k. I would estimate typically 13k, but we usually change it when it approaches 2k left (so around 10-11k on the oil) so as not to worry about needing to do it suddenly.

- The Sprinter is the easiest vehicle for changing oil. Especially if you add a Fumoto oil drain valve. This clever little thing requires no tools to open the drain valve and has a little nipple for a drain hose. I keep a short plastic hose always attached and looped up out of the way, and when I want to change the oil, I just put the hose right into an old container. When the container fills up, I stop the valve, change to container number 2, and re-open the valve. This means I can change the oil anywhere, without one drop of oil on the ground, barely having to get under the vehicle. A fellow Westy owner turned me onto this and it has turned out to be one of the greatest add-ons ever.

- There is more variability to filters than one might expect. Lots of material on this forum about that. I just order several at once and always keep an extra in the Westy. I order from a trusted source (usually FCPEuro) to avoid fake Chinese-made counterfeits. Especially as sold on Amazon. Some of these look nearly identical to the originals.

- There is room in the engine bay around the air filter area to keep a spare quart of oil tucked in the corner.

- The Sprinter has an overfill sensor that is triggered under a substantial overfill condition (could harm the engine). But just keep track of the fill and you will never have an issue with that. I just under-fill and then top off after driving a bit. In case of overfill, the above-mentioned valve makes draining out the extra a cinch. The only time I've ever had to deal with overfills in my vehicles was from shops, especially dealers. Go figure.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
HKPierce DIY instructions, including ASSYST reset.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165&highlight=Oil+change

Tip: Refresh your memory by reading instructions each time and not relying on memory from the last oil change a year ago.

For example, do NOT put biggest O ring against the oil spike cap flange. It goes in the groove. If the biggest O ring is against the flange, it will push out from under the flange when oil spike cap is screwed down, and oil flies everywhere.

ASSYST one and two wrenches.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2024&highlight=Oil+change

D

Deleted member 50714

Don't be hoodwinked by manufacturers exaggerated claims of miraculous innovations in motor oil formulations allowing extended oil change intervals. Motor oil can suspend only a certain amount of abrasive carbon coursing through the veins of the engine.

Even Mercedes Benz concedes, via service information document, oil change intervals as low as 3,000 miles may be necessary depending on operating conditions.

Attachments

Top Bottom