Airbag replacement recall results

Nate.evans

Anybody know how long it takes to replace the driver side and passenger side airbags in a 2010?

I ask because I dropped my van off to get the recall done, the dealership gave me a loaner and said “we might be able to get it done today, but by tomorrow for sure.” I live 1.5 hours from the dealer (the local Mercedes dealer doesn’t mess with Sprinters). Got the loaner, drove home, walked in the door and get a call “hi, your van is done!”

So....is this like a 15 minute job? The service receipt that’s 2 pages long says they did it and shows part numbers, but doesn’t say how long it took nor can I find anything online.

Maybe I’m just being a bit paranoid, but to tell me “we MIGHT be able to have it done today” to it being done in 1.5 hours leaves me a bit suspicious if anything was done at all.

Lastly, they had no idea about this mailer that came directly from Daimler vans.

Attachments

lindenengineering

This is a warranty recall.
HENCE
The dealer is NOT obliged to disclose the time since its done at a fixed CONFIDENTIAL rate.
That rate is agreed between the dealer and MB USA (in this case)

What I will tell you is that the dealer normally get 20 minutes for the steering wheel bag and 80 minutes for the passenger side.

You can tell if they have been changed just by looking at them.
Don't sweat the small stuff !
Just worry more about the crap coming out of the zorst in traffic silently filling your lungs with nano particles.:lol:
Don't panic just carry on!!:hmmm:
Dennis

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Two bags. If memory serves....maybe about 2 hours total on our ‘14 for the work. Add another 1.5 hours do admin time to the trip. But it took two trips since they were separate recalls. Bring a book, laptop, Nook or a good book. Grab a comfy chair in the lounge. Use their free internet. Dig into the goodies, snacks, cold drinks, tea or coffee while you chat up the hostess.

Chill. Let them do their job.

98Firebird

Both bags add up to around an hour of paid time with the passenger bag taking a majority of the time. After doing somewhere around a thousand of them or maybe a little more, it takes me about 15-20 minutes on average. Sometimes upfitter installations slow the process down a bit but never more than 30 minutes to do both bags. It's honestly only 16 of the t25 screws that are everywhere in the interior, 4 bolts, and a zip tie. Then the driver airbag is just 2 t30 screws. Really a very simple job honestly. They were probably just really busy it seems like and had an opening they hadn't counted on and managed to squeeze your van in.

Last edited:

Nate.evans

It was just odd cause over the phone the service writer made it sound like it was a full day of work since the two appointments available were 9am and 10am and 10am “might not be enough time to finish by close of business” and I definitely would have to drop it off rather than wait. I would have much rather waited for 1.5 hours than drive a total of 4.5 more hours from driving back and forth.

also, the invoice stated the van was courtesy washed and vacuumed, it definitely wasn’t.

Lastly, nobody knowing about that post card that came from Daimler seemed a little odd in conjunction with everything else is all.

Last edited:

Flagster

I dropped my van off for both at the Tucson dealer...my passenger took a couple hours and for my driver's side they called before I had ridden my bike home...probably 25 minutes

hoosierrun

Anybody get this done and have poor fit issues with the passenger side? Mine was done today and looks like crap. I should have never had it done.... or this this an issue with the dealer. Airbag module is slightly different color than rest of the dash and perhaps plastic was molded poorly.

Attachments

Anybody get this done and have poor fit issues with the passenger side? Mine was done today and looks like crap. I should have never had it done.... or this this an issue with the dealer. Airbag module is slightly different color than rest of the dash and perhaps plastic was molded poorly.
I had mine replaced today.
No problems with mine.

The dealer said only the airbag itself is replaced.
The steering wheel cover and passenger side panel above the glove box is re used.

Not sure why yours doesn’t fit properly.

Top Bottom