NAG1 Trans oil

mija5290

Is the Penrite ATFBMV004 ok to use? Currently it's $36.99 for 4L at stupidcheapauto

I've just bought a 2005 2.7L with the auto and want to get rid of the RSN.

I have found the sprintshift is becoming too unreliable when towing/maneuvering a 2 ton vacuum trailer.

jaahn

Hi :hmmm:
If you asked a question in plain english instead of shorthand people might be more inclined to answer. Not everyone has committed those number and letter codes to memory :frown:
Jaahn

Last edited:

mija5290

ATFBMV004 is the Penrite oil.
Van has no history and changing all the oils is a good baseline. I was hoping someone would know if this oil was ok to use.

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
Just get Fuchs Titan 4134 from Bursons. Its about the same price and its officially MB approved.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Mija,

Part of the confusion is caused because your signature shows you have a Sprintshift yet are enquiring about an auto. Some people refer to the Sprintshift as a Semi-Auto so hence confusion reigns!

If you could add either a link to the product data sheet or photos of Front AND Back of the can that will help greatly as they would show the approval numbers.

Without MB approval numbers you are really guessing as to whether the oil is OK or not.

Keith.

Last edited:

Mija,

Part of the confusion is caused because your signature shows you have a Sprintshift yet are enquiring about an auto. Some people refer to the Sprintshift as a Semi-Auto so hence confusion reigns!

Keith.
Good observation. :thumbup:

If it is an NAG1 5 speed automatic...

My Dodge 2004 Operator Manual listed ATF III synthetic transmission fluid as an acceptable choice.

2004ManualOilSpec01.jpg

:2cents: vic

Sockeye770

After reading Mija's profile, Mija has just replaced his '02 ExAmbo 2.7L 5cyl Sprintshift T1N with an 2005 2.7L with the auto.

I understand Mija's wanting to change from a sprintshift to an auto when towing/maneuvering a 2 ton vacuum trailer, as I jack knifed a 6x4 trailer on my front lawn earlier this year with our old 2001 316 sprintshift. The auto clutch kicked in while turning in reverse, when I didn't expect it.

mija5290

Yes sockeye770, you are reading it correctly. I'm sick of wondering if the sprintshift van will come home from work under its own steam or on a flatbed tilt tray, hence I bought another van with the true automatic.

When reading the webpage suggested by socketeye770 it says
ATF BMV can also be used in Mercedes Benz and Chrysler vehicles where MB 236.12, MB 236.13, MB 236.14, MB 236.15, MB 236.16 & MB 236.17 are specified in Mercedes Benz 5 speed W5A 580 / NAG1, NAG2V Sport Transmissions, 7 G-Tronic models W7A 700 / NAG2 and 9 G-Tronic models W9A 725.
So yes this oil will be fine.

My next question is:
I have quite a bit of shuddering under load just before gear changes. Is it worth found a partial oil change and filter, or dump the lot? Ive read some have had trouble when dumping the lot as too much rubbish comes free and blocks the system. Whereas in a partial oil change the filter has time to catch it all if you do a gradual oil change over the next few 1000kms.
Any thoughts, experiences?

Last edited:

Eric Experience

mija
The best thing to do is to drop the pan and the valve body, there is plenty of information on this procedure in the write ups. only then will you know the condition of the auto. tell us what you find. Eric

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
If the oil has more than 65,000 km, draining the torque converter (TC) and pan can often provide improvement to TC shudder. Usually once you exceed the life of the oil, you will get odd TC behavior.

Does the shudder affect all gears? Is it on up or down shift only?

I would suggest dropping the pan. If its very dirty (post a couple pictures of the bottom of the pan before you clean it), dropping the valve body to clean (without complete disassembly) may be called for.

If it is suspected that the NAG1 hasn't been regularly service, from what I have gleaned on the internet, many recommend a partial change (pan drain and filter only) as you mention. If the fluid has been regularly serviced... max OCI of 80,000 miles as a guess... then a pan, TC and filter change should be fine. The valve body removal and cleaning is generally triggered by late shifting or other symptoms, not just shudder/RSN.

Some info is here.

Rumble Strip Noise Transmission Drive Train Shudder
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5027

:2cents: vic

mija5290

Thanks guys. I will have to wait until Vanworks are back from holidays to get a filter etc.
Will let you know how I get on.

Top Bottom