NCV3 Identification, Miles, Months and Opinion

srt4ny

I have a 2015 with 2.1 4cyl i bough this van brand new it now has 280,000 milles it has been the most reliable van I have owned i have replaced the alternator and the shocks mostly for a smother ride I upgraded dpf bracket never had any emissions problems untill just recently a def heater went bad other than that just regular maintenance al done by me.

s22

I have a 2018 2.1 4cyl only done 5,000 miles in it so far but really impressed, it just feels solid and well made, being rear wheel drive helps giving it great steering feel and a tight turning circle.

I have a 2014 Roadtrek built on the NCV3 / 906 six-cylinder Diesel engine. Bought it new and only have 20K miles on it in five years of ownership. Has been to the shop four times in five years for the exact same issue: DEF/DPF/NoX sensors. In 45 years of vehicle ownership, I have never owned anything so unreliable; new or used.

sailquik

USMC Mustang,
Is the dealer you are using (I expect it's in the Washington DC or Northern Virginia area) an authorized Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer, or just the nearest Mercedes Benz Automobile dealer?
There are huge differences between the Authorized MB Sprinter dealers and the Mercedes Benz Car dealers.
Sounds like the dealer you are using is either not familiar with the repetitive faults/genuine replacement parts provisions of the Sprinter
new vehicle warranty or they are not giving you the benefits of the warranty provisions and simply charging you for everything they
replace and also charging you $170.00 every time they hook up your RV to their diagnostic computer.
You really need to get out your MB Sprinter warranty manual and become conversant with it's provisions so you can be assertive with
the service representative about what the warranty covers and what you need to pay out of pocket.
I've had to push them a bit on this, even though I'm supposed to be a favored Sprinter customer.
If you point out that they are diagnosing and repairing a part or system that they have previously repaired, there is a 2 year
extension to the warranty on those parts and possibly on the labor to diagnose and replace them a 2nd time.
Not all Mercedes Benz Authorized Sprinter dealers do a lot of commercial work, so look around for one of the few dealerships that
do a lot of commercial Sprinter repairs, and that has spent the extra capital to have a dedicated Sprinter repair shop with the high
bays and heavy duty service racks/heavy duty alignment tree/heavy duty wheel balancing equipment that it takes to service Sprinters
and Sprinter based RV's.
Hope this helps.
Roger

travisap

2008 Dodge Sprinter Campervan
2008 Dodge Sprinter 144 WB High Roof, 31,000 miles (yes, 31K miles). Bought from a wheelchair service company. They drilled many many holes into the van, making it somewhat of a pain to properly patch and address. Minimal rust though!

dkbird

Dodge 2008 144 wheelbase passenger van, low roof. We added a rear wheelchair lift and removed two rows of seats as we have two boys (now men) who use wheelchairs and this is their ride. Only 70k km on the sprinter. We bought it for the high roof and potential service from dodge (which evaporated when they split from MB). MB dealer is 300 km away, but local dodge can get me parts.

I have a Toyota Sienna with 170k km of about the same vintage, no comparison as far as troubles, but the sprinter is not too bad - hard to beat Toyota! Had to change glow plugs a couple years ago and recurring CEL due to dirty EGR valve and sensors - clean them myself and light goes out. For the temperature sensors it seemed to me that connecting/disconnecting may have made more impact than the cleaning as they were very clean. The connectors seem very exposed to water/salt etc - regardless all returned to normal. A couple other issues (air leak on intercooler hose probably due to mechanic error after glow plugs. Other than expensive oil changes, fuel filters, air filters it doesn’t seem too bad. Gets serviced on interval as we don’t put enough km’s on it. The short runs are not good for the diesel, but is has two auxiliary heaters that run in the winter, one is a preheater that circulates and warms the coolant pre-start (if you remember) since MB had not heard of block heaters when we bought it. That does reduce mileage- a bit absurd having such an efficient engine you need to run a diesel heater to keep warm in the winter (does get cold in Medicine Hat). No rust, but it gets to stay nights in the garage, and gets bathed regularly.

We are looking at replacement, but we’re disappointed that MB doesn’t sell low roof van anymore and I like having it in the garage which is high but not that high to fit the current passenger van. One option is the crew van with added windows. According to MB regulation requires van be rated for number of passengers so use of a cargo van required re-rate for registration which they were not sure of process. We looked at the transit which has local service, but after driving the sprinter it just doesn’t feel as good in the transit. Would go with gas engine next time for our style of short trips - but the sprinter diesel was nice when we pulled our trailer. Mechanic who works on the sprinter thinks I’m nuts to look at ford (or trade sprinter) but it is a lucrative oil change for him!

sailorman

2013 170wb passenger van doing a slow conversion. Using for towing a sailboat to regattas, occasional sleeping and running a lil shop out of the back. Bought a year ago with 132k, now have 152k, average 15mpg and been to Canada and Mexico with it within a couple weeks! Typical trip is 350 miles each way all freeway. Was worried it would be horrible to park... but so far it always works out, even in San Francisco. It helps that I have an electric skateboard that fits nicely in the back too.

So far so good... easy to drive, it takes cross wind like a champ, and I can throw 3 dinghy sailboats in the back!!

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Our 2010 Roadtrek Agile Sprinter has been fairly reliable if that what you think after having to replace several NOx sensors. Now at 94,000+ miles.

Have taken her to Alaska; Labrador/Newfoundland all of the Canadian Provinces, even trekked to Inuvik, NWT. Used her on many off-road excursions. Next destination: Yellowknife, NWT to view Aurora Borealis in the flesh!

The most expensive undertaking was having to replace the DEF tank, pump and heater combo. I change my oil myself at every 7000-10,000 miles. We drive her at 70+ mph on the Interstates. Never idle!; always wait for the glow plug light to go out when starting. Always downshift where necessary. Replaced all four tires 3 times(aggressive of road tires do not last too long). Had more problems with the Roadtrek Agile interior RV design..piece of interior junk!!

When traveling EAST, always stop at SunMotors in Mechanicsburg, PA for a health check or when going WEST/NW/N at Dennis Linden Engineering in Golden, Colorado.

The engine is pretty indestructible except the emission system. Have yet to encounter any countdown. Did at one time receive an "engine" light but was found to have had the CPU reflashed! Fuel economy is between 17-20 mpg depending on speed and terrain.

We are thinking of either swapping/trading/selling her for a more Adventurous Sprinter Camper Van such as https://sportsmobile.com/mercedes-benz-4x4-sprinter/, so that we can go even further off-road.

cheers...

lindenengineering

Our 2010 Roadtrek Agile Sprinter has been fairly reliable if that what you think after having to replace several NOx sensors. Now at 94,000+ miles.

Have taken her to Alaska; Labrador/Newfoundland all of the Canadian Provinces, even trekked to Inuvik, NWT. Used her on many off-road excursions. Next destination: Yellowknife, NWT to view Aurora Borealis in the flesh!

The most expensive undertaking was having to replace the DEF tank, pump and heater combo. I change my oil myself at every 7000-10,000 miles. We drive her at 70+ mph on the Interstates. Never idle!; always wait for the glow plug light to go out when starting. Always downshift where necessary. Replaced all four tires 3 times(aggressive of road tires do not last too long). Had more problems with the Roadtrek Agile interior RV design..piece of interior junk!!

When traveling EAST, always stop at SunMotors in Mechanicsburg, PA for a health check or when going WEST/NW/N at Dennis Linden Engineering in Golden, Colorado.

The engine is pretty indestructible except the emission system. Have yet to encounter any countdown. Did at one time receive an "engine" light but was found to have had the CPU reflashed! Fuel economy is between 17-20 mpg depending on speed and terrain.

We are thinking of either swapping/trading/selling her for a more Adventurous Sprinter Camper Van such as https://sportsmobile.com/mercedes-benz-4x4-sprinter/, so that we can go even further off-road.

cheers...
Oh no!
Not that trusting Sprinter you have been using for ages.
I think you have worn half the tarmac off many of NA's roads with it!:lol:
Merry Christmas

Frohe Weihnachten und ein glückliches Neues Jahr:thumbup:

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Oh no!
Not that trusting Sprinter you have been using for ages.
I think you have worn half the tarmac off many of NA's roads with it!:lol:
Merry Christmas

Frohe Weihnachten und ein glückliches Neues Jahr:thumbup:
Lieber Dennis... auch Frohe Weinachten und einen guten Rutsch ins Neue Jahr für deine Familie. :cheers::thumbup::thumbup:

By the way I wouldn't have minded taking a peek at the Ford Transit 4x4, but with their low rear shock mounts. This is streng verboten in our intended travels.

cheers...

Last edited:

sunride_tribe

2013 170" HR Bluetec
NCV3: 2012 170" High Roof
Miles: 180,200
Months: 8
General Opinion: We are the third owners of this van. Still in the middle of building it out, but runs pretty well, getting about 17mpg so far. Only issues are with the DEF. Heater was replaced by second owner, now needs replacing again. We are constantly topping off the DEF and frankly have become very paranoid about it. No rust issues. We leave for full time vanlife next year so will probably be shelling out some cash for preventative maintenance before we leave. It hasn't left us stranded on a trip *yet* so its light years ahead of my old vanagon so far. Sometimes wishing we'd found a T1N instead. Would not buy another with this emissions system.

NCV3: 2007 170" High Roof
Miles: 99,755
Months: 25

I am the second owner of this locally-owned former commercial van that is in the process of building it into a stealth camper. After having put 15,000 miles on it myself in the past 2 years (with a major mileage milestone right around the corner) I believe I can report that it runs very well - especially after having never received less than 20 mpg since the day I bought it. I pride myself in driving it long, slow and easy and it pays.

I was long in the market for a low-mileage; one owner; 2007-2009 NCV3 long/tall cargo van; and found just the vehicle I was looking for in one that had been parked inside and has had only AMSOIL European Car Formula motor oil in it on 10,000 mile intervals since the first oil change. While I was given the full service records of this vehicle, I was unable to find ANY record of the fuel filter ever having been replaced. That disturbed me and was sure to change it nearly as soon as I'd realized it. Moving forward, I'll continue to perform full AMSOIL oil changes and Mann fuel filter replacements on 10,000 mile intervals. Otherwise, I intend to replace the Y Cable - I have one but not yet decided if I'm qualified to change it myself - and have also recently replaced the glow plug module as a bit of preventive maintenance and retained the original as backup.

Long story short: I believe I've learned much about the importance of proper maintenance from this forum (and continue to do so) and want thank each and every one of you for participating in it. Sorting through the good and bad; helpful and not so helpful; entertaining and otherwise; has kept me informed and open-minded.

Cheers! to trouble-free miles!IMG_2194.jpg

Axiom

Mike from Florida Van Man
NCV3: Dodge 2008 144" Wheelbase Low Roof 253k miles
"Upgraded" From: Mercedes 2006 140" Wheelbase Low Roof 235k miles

General Opinion: It's nice, but I'm probably going back to a T1N eventually.

Detailed Opinion (NCV3 vs. T1N: A younger driver's perspective):

I come from the perspective of someone whose first serious van experience was 3-4 years ago with a 2004 T1N. I "upgraded" for the channel so we could get some videos on the NCV3.

Right off the bat, I am chasing down fuel economy and limp mode issues tied to the DPF filter. Forcing a regeneration will let the van run great for a few days, but it clogs before I can drive it 500 miles, and I can't go 500 miles on a full tank of fuel. 370 miles before the fuel light comes vs. 500 miles before the fuel light comes on in T1N land. Still considering a delete........

- The NCV3 is a pretty face, but I'm not at all a fan of the plastic trim wrapping the body that has unsealed water inlet holes behind it......
- It's arguably more comfortable to drive than the T1N. The dash is completely out of the way and cupholders are built into the design instead of being added on last minute like the T1Ns...I'm also enjoying the COPIOUS amounts of storage.
- The air conditioning system on the NCV3 is MUCH better than the T1N. Just engine air can cool the entire van down by the time I've reached my destination.
- The Dodge trim is even tackier on the NCV3.
- The instrument cluster doesn't have a coolant gauge, I'm a bit baffled by that................
- The front grill area comes up much higher on the NCV3 compared to the T1N. Standing on the single step bent over the engine for long periods of time is not very comfortable. T1N front end is lower to the ground for easier access and doesn't require standing on a step...
- T1N definitely has more power off the line, no question about it. Even just in the drive way: 10% throttle on our T1Ns gets them going MUCH faster than 10% throttle on the NCV3.
- Mirrors/visibility are not anywhere near as good as the T1N, but they're serviceable.

Besides that....

- NCV3 rides smoother, the engine is MUCH quieter (though I'm not a fan...I don't like not being able to hear the engine at all while driving but some of you may like that ;) ).
- NCV3 plastics are MUCH higher quality, none of my vents are broken. It seems they also don't have a huge problem with leaking roof antennas as my headliner is still in great condition.
- NCV3 doors close easier and better than T1Ns. Almost as if they don't go out of adjustment after many years of being beaten.
- NCV3 slider door is large enough to fit a full pallet in.
- Handles well, even with no G-Wagen wheels ;)
- The engine sounds good in its own way, but it reminds me more of a pickup truck than a Sprinter.
- I love the adjustable steering wheel.

In some ways it feels like I upgraded but in some ways it feels like I downgraded. Once this one is built out and its DPF problem is "fixed", it'll probably be sold for another T1N.

Both vans have their pros and cons, and there's a lot to love about the NCV3. I'm not convinced I want to drive it for the rest of my life though ;)

Pics of the vans in question that i'm comparing

In Conclusion: I had to try the new vans to really appreciate the T1Ns ;)

Attachments

Flagster

Rolled 75K on our 2015 4x4 last week from Tucson to Salida, CO and back...

Haven't had to do anything but A, B, and A services at 20, 40, and 60K...almost due for our 80K service.
I have changed oil every 5-7K miles in between major dealer services and have kept DEF topped off every 1-2K miles avoiding the warning...
Diff fluid and transfer case I changed every 20-30K miles as dealer wasn't recommending until 80K...always very little shavings on the drain plug...
Michelin ltx at2s original tires still with significant tread...most likely will replace this fall due to age...

So far this has been as a reliable vehicle as I have owned...Most of our driving is 1-2 12hr days (long and hot on the highway) to destinations...very little to no in town driving or short trips...

I was discussing with a friend the benefits of selling early while the van still has significant value vs trying to get max life out of the van...I think I am leaning toward driving this thing into the ground...

Attachments

marc1

2017 NCV3 144 Std roof 4x4 bought new Oct, 2017 30,000 mi. DIY conversation and Sportsmobile Penthouse . Vancompass Stage 4 lift and Fox shocks. DIY oil changes at 7500 mi. DEF always topped off fuel stops. Driven like an auto stick. 20k service at dealer. I cracked windshield from a rock. Used as a DD and romped off road very hard. No issues so far

Attachments

we have the 2016 - 144 - 4cyl - High Roof - 55,000 miles on it. It has been fantastic so far. Averaging about 23mpg on the 4cyl.

I would be curious to hear more about the 4cyl from anyone with higher mileage. Keep this thread going :)

2016 144 low roof bus with 2.1 bought 9/20
Only getting around 20 mpg now but 06 T1N got 23/24 in summer with about 10% less in winter. Scan gauge shows higher idle gph on 16, about .1/.2 gph
Bob

moto19

2016 170 EXT super single- 4 cyl High roof full adventure build 110,000 miles 0 issues I've had 2003 T1N and a 2008 NCV3 6 cyl this 4 cyl has been the least trouble of all.

2018 144 r v6 regular height, best one so far in 78000 miles. i know, still a baby. but my 2013 and 2015 just didn't behave..... 3 's a charm only reason for new is go to a 170.

more room more clutter lol

JRME831

2011 170” Diesel 2WD Conversion | Billings, MT
A few months back, I found an old 2011 6-cyl vending company cargo van with 37k on it as a camping, skiing, biking, US-seeing adventure hauler for 6. (Replacing my F-150 and a tent trailer for that duty).

First impressions (I’ll come back later): Runs like a top, drives like a mini cooper, gets better mileage than all my other vehicles, has an enormous amount of space. I put a Recaro in for my seat so now it’s also the most comfortable thing to drive :LOL:

Other impression: drive a Sprinter, manufacturers assume you’re made of money. I’ve been modifying a lot of things to work because paying $20 for a bolt is stupid.

I had the AEM modification done right away- @lindenengineering said it should cure most of the nagging problems with the “Blurtech” as he calls them. The only thing power are my windows and door locks (the tinters must have gotten some liquid in the driver’s window switch because when I pulled it apart to see why it wasn’t working, there was moisture in it ? A little pat-pat, dry-dry and it work better than before! ? $145 for that switch from the dealer BTW.)

Now I‘m rambling…

Top Bottom