Sprinter Campervan build Johannesburg

Pierredb

Completed bed, installed kitchen base cabinet and built box for 90l chest camping fridge. This will serve as a seat in the van once panelling is done and cushions are added. Sent van to signs company to have rear windows and 2 windows behind driver covered in white contravision vinyl to enhance "stealth" appearance. Pics to follow

Next.... building shower enclosure and roller drawer for bicycles under bed.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PeterInSa

Hi Did you consider 2 single beds/seats instead of a double bed. With the 2 long seats you can drop down the table and with a timber extension use the seat cushions to have a large double bed. We only use 2 seat back cushions on the timber extension, have one foam cushion that fits over the table. This foam cushion is held vertically on top of our Frig/cupboard adjacent to the sliding door

To me this provides a lot more usable space during the day especially if it rains and can cope with 3 or 4 visitors around the table.

Peter

Pierredb

Peter. We decided, quite selfishly, that this vehicle is built mainly for our own comfort. A double bed is a pre requisite as is the ability to transport our bicycles inside the van under the bed for security purposes.

As far as seating goes, the 2 seater front bench will swivel 180 degrees. Together with the bench on the fridge box. We will also have a Lagun table which will serve as dither a cooking surface or eating surface. There will be seating for 5 persons if required.

With the great weather in Africa, most of the year, we will probably spend most of our time outside.

Pierredb

Finalised shower cubicle, cut shelves for fkr countertop, fridge bench top and 2 x garage shelves to hold water tanks. Will paint these boars with waterproof pain as base layer protection prior to final fixing.
To do list is till quite long:
ELECTRICS
2x roof vents
Victron easysolar
220v power lines and 4x outlets
12 volt power lines and 5 connection points
4x solar 100w panels
Cyrix 180 A battery isolator
12 V Switches for lights, fans and power points
PLUMBING
Hansen gas/electric geyser
Filler caps to 2x 60l tanks
12 V water pump
Connections to mixer tap for cubicle shower
Connection for mixer tap for rear shower
Connection for sink mixer
Connection for water purifier

UPPER CABINETS

Lots to stil do before finally getting to cabinetry..........

Pierredb

Done a lot of work but failed to keep progress updated.

Victron easysolar installed
Cyrix battery relay installed
2 x 105 ah agm batteries installed
12 v fuse box installed
Hansen 14l gas/ electric geyser installed
2 x Fiamma extractor vents installed
2 x 60l water tanks installed
220v feed to easysolar installed
Replaced and rewired trailler electrical connector plug and repositioned it
Installed shureflo 12v water pump
Installed bicycle front and rear wheel clamps in garage under bed - Temporary
Built boxes to hold front wheels of bicycles while in transit
Connected main 12v lights with temporary switch - lights working
Curtain rail for blockout curtain between cab and living space
Mattress for 3rd bed cut and covered in fabric
Lagun table installed with temporary countertop to test for size and position
Blinds for side and rear windows made
Installation of 90l National Luna chest fridge with tie down straps

To do list
Wiring of ancillary led lights over bed and in garage
Wiring of 220v plugs from inverter
Installation of 4 x 100w solar panels
Installation of countertops
Panelling of garage and all cabinetry in kitchen and cupboards and building of drawers
Panelling of shower and connection of mixer taps
Installation of sink and taps as well as water purifier
Building and installation of slider drawer for bicycles in garage

Wish list
All round camera system
Mini smart TV
4g/wifi signal booster
On board wifi router

We are going on a weekend run with the truck as is. Liveable with lights, bed and basic layout all finalised. Already an upgrade ito comfort from the rooftop tent we used to travel in. We will have time to update photos....

Last edited:

Sockeye770

Good to hear your taking it for a weekend run.
It will be more interesting hear of any changes to your plans after the weekend run.

One new item I'm going to play with this summer (in Australia) in my work exambo, is a simple movable 12V fan.
Last summer, there were times on the hot days where I believe a low wattage fan strategically placed, would make working life bearable, instead of turning the engine on to run the aircon.

I've noticed the QLD ambos have a fan installed, whereas the VIC ambos don't.

Personally I find when I sit still in a hot still environment, I will sweat like a pig.
Just add a simple breeze, at the same temperature, I'm as happy as a pig in ****.

Pierredb

Ok so I know I have not been keeping this thread up to date. Truth is that life, family business all got in the way. This can never be the #1 priority although it us the #1 leisure priority. The last 3 weeks have been focus... Focus.... FOCUS.. to get it done. Working evenings, weekends and in between.
Finished the kitchen cupboards. Most of the shower, 220 v electricals, installed the 4x 100 watt solar panels and started getting it tidy enough to start our December trip.

We are on our way to Swakopmund for a wedding next weekend. After that we will meander down to Cape Town and then up the Garden Route ending in Port Elizabeth or East London....... not sure. Need to go be home in Johannesburg by 13 Jan for business.

Some pics of what the build looks like now

Oldfartt

Pierre,
If you have not already done it, I suggest that you remove the black outer Plastic side trim and check the holes which are used to hold the panels in place. Water can enter the top row of holes which are above floor level causing dampness inside. The preferred method is to remove the plastic studs and seal with sikaflex or similar.

Cheers

Ross

Oldfartt

I have not seen any one recommending to not seal the holes, however using the rubber seal strip or sealing the holes would have the desired outcome. Use whatever is suitable for you.

Cheers

Ross

Eric Experience

Water leaking in from the trim clips is very minor. The majority of water in the sills is from the roof either condensation or leaks along the spot welds, sealing up the clips has risks with scratching and rust
Eric.

Top Bottom