2007 Dodge Sprinter 2500 Transmission Service

Hey All,

So I wasn't able to fully find out the answers i need. Hoping someone can help. My sprinter has close to 60k and transmission is acting up. Parts are ordered and coming in friday.

Trying to figure out the best way to complete transmission fluid service.

What I've determined is that I first need to remove fluid from the drain pan via the drain plug.

Next, remove the fluid from the torque converter via drain plug.

Once that's done, remove drain pan, clean it and replace filter. Then return all drain plugs and pan.

Looks like it holds 7 liters with converter. Trans pan drain plug torque is 195 in/lb. Trans pan to housing is 80 in/lb. Torque converter plug is 71 in/lb.

My question comes to refilling. Does the torque converter get filled separately somewhere via a fill plug ? Or does it just get filled via the trans fill tube ?

Thanks in advance !

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
It gets filled via the normal transmission fill tube. The transmission internal fluid pump will fill the torque converter from the contents of the oil pan.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
You'll need a dipstick to set proper fluid level, available on Amazon and many other tool sources. There are two ranges, one cold to get approx the right level when refilling and one hot which should be used for the final setting. Be careful as it is easy to overfill.

There are several threads with pictures on the forum that provide tips and techniques and I'd suggest reviewing these first. It's not rocket science and pretty much like any other transmission fluid change, but it's always good to read about other's experiences.

Top Bottom