OM651 Maintenance/Service Write Ups

If you have a OM651/7 Speed drive train and do your own maintenance/service work please post your write ups here. Hopefully this will save OM651 owners a bit of time.

Reset ASSYST on 2014 OM651

I used the following method a few days ago after performing my first "A" service. Worked on first try and then showed next service to be "B" with two wrenches in 15,000 miles.

Thanks to "The Dude" for posting this method in another thread.

ASSYST Reset Procedure
1. Close door
2. Turn key to second position (where glow plug indicator lights up)
3. Wait for most of the indicator lights to go out.
4. Go to odometer/trip meter display
5. Using arrow buttons, go to the "Service Due In xxxxx Miles" screen
6. Pressed and hold the “0” button for several seconds until a beep sounds.
7. Use menu back button to see the following screen (your values may be different here):
SW: 30/13
Rel: 24.07 HL
HW: 10/12
Rel: 12.10
HW: A906
901 35 01
Code
8. Use arrow up button until "Service Due In xxxxx Miles" or possibly "Service A Overdue" is visible
9. Press “0” for just a sec
10. Screen should show:
+
Compl. Serv.
V. handover
Serv. Canc.
-
Choose "Compl. Serv." By hitting the up arrow button once.
11. Choose oil, 229.51 or 229.31 should be an option. If not choose “Standard”.
12. Choose oil by highlighting (use +- buttons to move focus) and pressing up arrow to select
13. Screen should say "Confirm Complete Service, Reset 3s"
14. Press “0” button for 3 secs.
15. Should say "Service Confirmed"

Just managed to reset Assyst on my '15 chassis '16 Winnebago Era 170C. Every source I found did not reset mine.

I have a pair of round 4 button controls on my wheel. The no buttons or the buttons between the spokes versions did not work for me. Since I tend to do my own work, if possible, and since MB really doesn't want me to, I located a huge (30 gig) MB service/parts manual on Ebay. I downloaded it to an old hard drive in a USB box as I wasn't sure how safe it might be. Long story short, It runs as a virtual machine, is a bit slow and a bit difficult to use. No wonder MB needs your VIN to get the correct windshield washer fluid for you.

The attached file is from that manual. The tail end of it was redundant as in my case as it reset before the instructions were telling me to repeat part of the procedure.

I hope this helps someone down the road.

The upside of the download was it covers my RV, T1N and Metris service vans and Lord knows how many other MB vehicles.

Ross

Attachments

KingSprinter

There are two different ways to reset this maintenance reminder, one with steering wheel buttons and one without. It appears both ways have been listed in the above comments. Actually, one of them is the MB instructions.

Poncho67

Here is a simple and accurate video to reset the maintenance message if you have the 2019+ with steering wheel buttons and the small base-model dash screen. This worked for my 2021 N American (South Carolina) built 2500 with the 4 Cyl turbo diesel.

Top Bottom