Smelly shower

Probably more to do with motorhomes than Sprinters but here goes. I bought my MB motorhome a couple of years ago secondhand and have done quite a few trips since then. The bride has been complaining regularly about the bad smell coming from the shower cubicle and I've poured disinfectant, vinegar etc down the drain with only temporary success so a couple of weeks ago I got underneath to investigate and found hidden above a protective plate a shower sump. With great difficulty I got it out and found it full of grease half of which I wore, also the contents of the drain hose from the kitchen sink which had backed up, even the dog wouldn't come near me lol.
There is a strainer in the sump housing which filters out the solids and grease before the pump transfers the grey water to the holding tank, this was blocked as was the pump which had ceased to function. I read up on the Attwood Shower Sump (the maker) site and found the sump should be regularly cleaned out, not easy. Just heads up for others in this situation, The genuine Attwood bilge pump was $63 but I bought an identical one online for $18.88 plus $12 postage and it works just fine. Will clean it out after every trip now.
Rob.

Top Bottom