2007 NCV3 rust and paint repair

shanemac

I should have taken care of any rust years ago...might be a never ending saga though. For now I will post a PDF of what I have to start with..it aint pretty but could be worse I guess. Also I wonder who much bull$h!t its going to be to remove the slider track on side of van...even if I get most of it lifted off to one side to get at the rust.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sirxnmfgsyw9htz/sprinter_rust1binder.pdf

Not sure I should go the cheaper quicker approach and just rust treat areas and brush on some rust paint and call it good. Or blast grind wire wheel off paint and rust, treat, seal prime, and paint. I don't' want to do a complete vehicle strip and paint job just fix the bad spots and if the paint ends up being not perfectly matched and faded in or its covered with rock chip or linex DIY me ok with that.:crazy:

Not sure but I think the best approach with the passengers side rear area is to strip sand the whole section and paint rather than doing just spots, its the worst area on the whole van...Again I guess it will depend how much work I want to do right.

I have read POR-15 is good stuff http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Rust-Preventive-Coating_p_8.html

Trayscott

I have terrible rust behind the black trim on my sliding door, none around the slide itself. Doors of course, rear door. Having the debate myself. 2008 long and tall, 197000

ehallspqr

I heard good things about the Eastwood rust kits and want to try them.

I have been using POR-15 for many projects and can highly recommend it. Been fixing rusted old VW's for too many years and have tried everything on the market, past and present. Without a doubt POR-15 was the best do-it-yourself paint I found.

Clean the surface getting all the loose stuff and grease/oil etc. off. You don't need to get down to absolute bare shiny metal in most cases, but fairly well cleaned off. I then use "Metal-Prep" which is an acid to remove all the remaining rust. It also etches and electrically charges the metal surface so the paint will adhere real well. POR-15 the area, then use POR-15 White top coat. That area will never rust again.

Top Bottom