Stranded out of town, looking for mechanic

I’m near sparkill/nyack New York. Battery light came on as well as the tire symbol which seems to indicate bas and asr have been deactivated due to undervoltage. High beams wouldn’t work and it’s not shifting out of first, then dash went dark and ultimately stalled out. I have a new battery so I’m assuming alternator is bad. Problem is I’m a few hours from home, I can have it towed to my mechanic at home for free but if there is someone local that can fix it it would be less hassle. Anybody know of a sprinter mechanic or just a good shop around here

TooMuchHair

Hi, Complete Benz Repairs in Brooklyn has mobile service if that helps. (917) 642-1645
Any chance you threw the serpentine belt?
Good luck!

autostaretx

Erratic Member
It can also be loose connections or similar.... this is where having a ScanGauge -like gadget plugged into the OBD socket would provide warnings (why is the voltage less than 13v when running???) before you're facing outright failure.

--dick

dttocs

I had a failed alternator in a T1N sprinter with similar symptoms. Took the battery to a local autozone or similar and got them to test it (initially thinking the battery failed). They said battery was fine but fully discharged, and recharged it. That was enough to start the van again and drive 100 miles for service to get the alternator replaced.

... That was enough to start the van again and drive 100 miles for service to get the alternator replaced.
Worth a try.

Avoid using the cabin fan and A/C as much as possible. Best to pull the DRL related fuses if you have the DRL option.

:2cents: vic

Thanks guys, whirlwind of a day but ended up with a new alternator and all is well...as far as I know. 800 bucks, no idea if it’s a decent price or not but being out of state I wasn’t happy to have it taken care of and have a place to sleep for the night.

Top Bottom