G-Wagon Wheels 265/60R18

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
Finally put on some bigger shoes on my Sprinter.

I ended up going with the US spec G-Class wheels with the lesser ET 43

This makes the wheels stand out a bit and requires some bodywork for tire clearance when the front wheels are turned.

The big difficulty with the G-Class wheels is finding tires with the proper load rating. Most 265/60R18 tires are load rated 110 which just isn't enough for a 2500 Sprinter.

I don't ever load mine to the max and was able to find Cooper Discover H/T Plus tires that are load rated 114, that's just one point below the 115 for the stock Michelins. I loose about 80lbs per rear tire, that works fine for my application.
The Coopers are nice and quiet, the shoulder isn't as stiff as the stock Michelins and so they soak up road imperfections much more. At the same time the lower /60 aspect ratio vs the /75 for the stock tires means the tires have more sideholding ability when cornering.

It's not go-cart handling but significantly more surefooted with less body roll in turns...

The overall ride is much improved similar to the scale of the initial change to the Koni shocks...
And the wheelhouses are filled out much better than before...

Cheers
George

P.S. I might have to make fender flares for the front tires...we'll see

Attachments

NYC SPRINTERS

hello nice wheels!!! i have the same on my sprinter but to make things work the right way i put Michelin 255/55/18 tires they are the best for the sprinter and can hold up 1895 pounds each!!! my sprinter weight empty with out passenger is 6000 pounds i was at the scales so i figure the Michelin's will be the best but your sprinter is much liter then mine!

Attachments

stracy

Pelikan Pilot
George.

That combination looks great. I will go to the Cooper tires for my next round, because I have been running on a 110 rated tire since I put bigger wheels on my van when it was new. Mine are Yokohama Advan ST 255x60 R17s. They are on 8x17 wheels I got from the Tire Rack, intended for the VW Touareg. I had to have a 1/4 by 1/4 inch circle machined out of the back of the wheel so it mounted properly on the hub. Kind of a hassle, but that was the widest wheel I could find that would fit. Like you, I don't haul it full to anywhere near the vehicle load limit. My heaviest load is four or five people and some camping gear. I wanted the largest footprint I could get for the best floatation for desert boondocking. Though I somehow seem to still manage to get badly stuck. I put my second set on this spring, at about 40,000 miles. Not bad, considering the abuse they take and my driving style. The Pelikan has done some track time at Willow Springs. The GPS tells me the speedometer is just about dead accurate now, reading one MPH below the GPS speed at 75. The odometer, which seems to be accurate from the factory is now 8 to 10 percent low. So I got more warranty miles, but exactly the same number of motor and wheel rotations that Dodge was good for.

I had three clearance issues: I had to remove the mudflaps, which I see you have done. I had to use my grinder to remove a triangle at the lower corner of the bumper to clear space for the wheels to turn. Finally, on a trip with friends from Munich to a ruin way off the beaten path in Utah, I had to cross a gully washout on a Jeep trail near Canyonlands. To avoid hanging up on the rear bumper step, I took it at the sharpest diagonal the narrow road would allow. That meant at one point having all the vehicle weight on the left front and right rear wheels with the other two wheels suspended over the deepest part of the gully. Then the opposite diagonal loading on the way back out. That evening in a campground, we noticed the sheet metal at the upper part of the front wheel wells that is normally tucked under was pointing straight down like knife-edges, ready to slice into the tires. Not good. So we took a jack and a branch to tuck the lips back under. We concluded that at full lock and full load, the ribbed shoulder of the weighted front tire had caught the inner surface of that lip and tugged it down as we slowly rolled forward through the gully. That's not a circumstance I have encountered again, but I am aware of the problem. That is a tricky part of the bodywork, and I sure would like to find a competent shop to permanently tuck that lip farther up and out of the way.

I'll shop for the Coopers on my next set of tires, though. Maybe we'll connect some time, as we live just up the valley in Davis and travel up and down the state frequently. Like today.

Take care.
Steve.

Attachments

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
Steve,

I just uploaded the pictures of mine when I saw yours...
I like your rims they look like the new 2008-2009 G-wagon wheels.

You're pretty ballsy with you sprinter! :thumbup:

Your Yoko Advans kept coming up but I just couldn't stomach the price...
I'm surprised you were able to stuff those tires and wheels in the non-lifted 118WB. I'm pretty sure only the 140 and 158 had the 30mm spacers to accommodate the bigger 16in wheels...

I shopped forever for rims/tires to find a combination that would work and is properly load rated...
I had all but given up after spending way too much time on tirerack when I just did a google search and found the Coopers.
They get good reviews and most report long treadlife, we'll see.

At first I was going to put 20" wheels on. The 275/55R20 all are way high load rated...
I settled on the stock G-Class wheels because I thought I could fit the 265/60R18 without modifications.
Unfortunately the online tire size caculators had the stock tires at 29.3 in. diameter when it really was 28.5 for mine.
Almost an extra inch but I meant I had to pullout the sawsall and the grinder...

I wanted a load index close to the required...
The Rear axle is rated at 5360lbs GAVW, that's 2680/tire thus the requirement for load index of 115.
I gave up 80lbs./tire in load carrying ability by going with the 114 load index Coopers.

The 110 load rating is for 2337lbs/tire, that's a 686 lbs. payload penalty for the rear axle.

Cheers
George

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
NYC

That's a sharp looking 158...
But I think you're cutting it tight with the payload on your van unless you end up having empty seats...

Let's use a lowball 180lbs./person 30lbs./bag
You got about 1580lbs payload left and that assumes its all distributed evenly..

You could load 6 people plus yourself, that's 1080 + 180 = 1260
Then you can still load 10 bags 300lbs for a total of 1560 and be under the limit but it's tight...

That's why I went with the higher 114 rating...YMMV

Cheers
George

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
275 65 R 18 or 255's give you the e rated choices your Sprinter needs
my images are under ncv 3 wheels and tires, my wheels are et 53 and just fit with no rubbing

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
Looks good George. :thumbup:

So you didn't go for the 60mm offset because...?
...because I live in Bakersfield!

gotta keep up with all the lifted trucks around here :bounce:

....because US spec G-Class wheels are easy to source in LA from all the folks going to 20/22/24 on their rides...

Cheers
George

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
Gary,

I'm very happy with my choice of wheels and tires and my Sprinter drives like a car...
The tires soak up bumps in the road without transmitting to the body.
The tire noise is also significantly reduced.

275 65 R 18 or 255's give you the e rated choices your Sprinter needs
Show me the 255/60R18 or 255/55R18 tire that is e rated ;-)

275/65R18 might work on a NCV3 but won't work on a T1N
32" diameter won't fit on the T1N, you'll have to cut out the whole fender...
My tires are 30.5" diameter and pushing it...
Anything bigger than 265/60r18 and it's not a small project anymore...

History t1N vs NCV3:
The NCV3 was engineered with factory 16" wheels.
The T1N was engineered for 15" wheels.
(The scarcity US side of 15" load rated tires is why MB lifted the 140 and 158 T1Ns to fit 16" wheels...)

Cheers
George

NYC SPRINTERS

NYC

That's a sharp looking 158...
But I think you're cutting it tight with the payload on your van unless you end up having empty seats...

Let's use a lowball 180lbs./person 30lbs./bag
You got about 1580lbs payload left and that assumes its all distributed evenly..

You could load 6 people plus yourself, that's 1080 + 180 = 1260
Then you can still load 10 bags 300lbs for a total of 1560 and be under the limit but it's tight...

That's why I went with the higher 114 rating...YMMV

Cheers
George
i don't know i been loaded before to the top with 14 passengers plus bags when plenty of times on long trips to Florida for two weeks and no problems!!! at 85 degrees weather tires are warm but not hot from driving on the highway!!! that way i stick with Michelin not anything else!!!:cheers::cheers::cheers:

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
Gary,

Show me the 255/60R18 or 255/55R18 tire that is e rated ;-)

275/65R18 might work on a NCV3 but won't work on a T1N
32" diameter won't fit on the T1N, you'll have to cut out the whole fender...
My tires are 30.5" diameter and pushing it...
Anything bigger than 265/60r18 and it's not a small project anymore...

Cheers
George
Hey George,
I like your wheels and your tires, they look really nice on you van.

I use the full capacity of my Sprinter on a regular basis so I really had to search for the correct wheel and tire combination and still maintain an e rating.

I did a quick search this morning and found Goodyear Fortera HL 255 65 18 e rated, 31" diameter. There are other e rated options near this size, but you do have to search hard.

I found that wheel offsets over 50 are really important to fitting a larger tire in my wheel wells. Fitting a wider 32" diameter tire with no rubbing was a good trick. Mine drives like a car now also with greatly reduced tire noise and pretty good dynamics.

Best Regards. Gary

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
...I did a quick search this morning and found Goodyear Fortera HL 255 65 18 e rated, 31" diameter. There are other e rated options near this size, but you do have to search hard.
I found that wheel offsets over 50 are really important to fitting a larger tire in my wheel wells. Fitting a wider 32" diameter tire with no rubbing was a good trick. Mine drives like a car now also with greatly reduced tire noise and pretty good dynamics...

I finally got it on the 405 and what a difference these tire/wheels/shocks make.
I highly doubt 31" wheels will fit in any T1N without any modifications,

I measured 3/4 inch clearance between the wheel and the forward edge of the rocker panel on my stock T1N with the 225/75R16 and the stock ET70 wheels.

Cheers
George

benster

2004 140" low roof cargo
George (& others),
Thanks for the great details here. I've been searching like crazy for a good solution, too. Hoping to go your route, but have a number of questions I hope you might help with first...

As the second owner of this Mercedes-badged 2004 low-top 144 wb 2500, had to educate myself on current status of my van. Seat tag says stock tires were 225/75 R16, bought it with what I think are the same wheels you have. 18" for sure, look just like your pics.

Question 1: Are there other similar-looking but slightly different options out there (different offset, perhaps?), or since mine look like yours we're surely on the same wheels?

Came with 255/55 R18 XL Courser MSR 109S tires in good shape & ran fine for me, but time for me to replace. (Side note, bad ball joints did 'em in early.) Hoping to find properly rated tires this time, and found out why those weren't (can't find such a thing!) Found your post (thanks again.)

At first I was going to put 20" wheels on. The 275/55R20 all are way high load rated...
I settled on the stock G-Class wheels because I thought I could fit the 265/60R18 without modifications. Unfortunately the online tire size caculators had the stock tires at 29.3 in. diameter when it really was 28.5 for mine. Almost an extra inch but I meant I had to pullout the sawsall and the grinder...

I wanted a load index close to the required...
The Rear axle is rated at 5360lbs GAVW, that's 2680/tire thus the requirement for load index of 115.
I gave up 80lbs./tire in load carrying ability by going with the 114 load index Coopers.

The 110 load rating is for 2337lbs/tire, that's a 686 lbs. payload penalty for the rear axle.
Question 2: Can you give more details, or even some pics, of what exactly you took off with the sawsall & grinder? Your posted pics look like nothing visibly painted was "revised" by your efforts. Is that right or did you touchup paint?

Question 3: How did you know what needed taking off? Did you install the tires then drive home & just turn the wheels in your driveway and hack off whatever they hit, or more scientific than that? (I'm especially wondering how clearance will change under load or road bumps.)

Question 4: Does one of those 265/60R18's fit in the spare tire nest underneath the van (while still fully inflated?) If not, what's your spare arrangement?

I'd sure like to be safe & full-capacity-capable on these wheels, but am starting to understand the tradeoff between looks & load on this one. Now that you've made it happen, hoping to learn a thing or two myself.

Thanks again. Those wheels/tires look good!
--Ben

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
Question 1: Are there other similar-looking but slightly different options out there (different offset, perhaps?), or since mine look like yours we're surely on the same wheels?
Easy, take the wheel off look on the inside, the ET and MB part number are on there in raised type.

Question 2: Can you give more details, or even some pics, of what exactly you took off with the sawsall & grinder? Your posted pics look like nothing visibly painted was "revised" by your efforts. Is that right or did you touchup paint?
I took off about 3/4" off the rocker panel right behind the wheel. The gap between the inner and outer skin was cleaned, rustproofed and filled with sikaflex 252, then painted. Finally I covered the inside wheelwell with underbody coating.

In the front I had to remove the standing seam and move the wheelwell about 1/2" forward, its right in the seam area where the wheelwell sheetmetal transitions to horizontal...

Question 3: How did you know what needed taking off? Did you install the tires then drive home & just turn the wheels in your driveway and hack off whatever they hit, or more scientific than that?
The German forum was helpful, so I had an idea going in. Then I looked at the gross clearance issues by turning the wheels lock to lock. After I resolved that I went driving, that's where I discovered the area forward of the tire mentioned above. It only rubs during cornering under load so it took a few trials to get it right.

I have since driven in Death Valley where earlier this year torrential rains made many roads temporarily unpassable because of flooding and mudslides... The Sprinter just powered through those...

Question 4: Does one of those 265/60R18's fit in the spare tire nest underneath the van (while still fully inflated?) If not, what's your spare arrangement?
Haven't addressed the issue yet, limp mode is not as aweful as it sounds.
Long term a 215/85 R16 should have the same circumference, I doubt the 265/60 R18 will fit...

Lot of work but very rewarding, my rear bench seat was nearly unusable on the 405 according to my wife, with the G-wagon tires/wheels and Konis it is much much better... and she approves now ;-)

Good luck with your project!

Cheers
George

benster

2004 140" low roof cargo
Thanks for the details, George. Very, very helpful.

Sorry to say, it sounds like more than I'm ready to do right now, so probably going to run tires that fit easily but are underrated again for the next round of rubber. (255/55R18 as I've been using.) Your help allowed me to make that an informed & conscientious decision.

Also did the load math so know now what I ought to be (or not be) carrying & why.

Sprinter weighed when empty: 5000 lbs

GVWR: 8550 lbs = 4.275 tons
GAWR (front): 3860 (55 psi)
GAWR (front) each wheel: 1930
GAWR (rear): 5360 (79 psi)
GAWR (rear) each wheel: 2680

109 rated tire each: 2271 (50 psi)

GAWtires: 4542
GAW (rear) difference: 818 <--- my load reduction due to tires
GVWtires: 7732 = 3.87 tons

CCC (empty): 2732 = 1.37 tons

I usually have cabinets full of tools in the van, so in that scenario:
Sprinter weighed w/cabinets & tools: 3.22 ton = 6440 lbs

CCC (w/tools): 1292 = .65 tons

Thanks again
--Ben

Last edited:

dbeyer

to make things work the right way i put Michelin 255/55/18 tires they are the best for the sprinter and can hold up 1895 pounds each!!! my sprinter weight empty with out passenger is 6000 pounds i was at the scales so i figure the Michelin's will be the best but your sprinter is much liter then mine!
I also ran 255/55/18s rated @ 1895 lbs for my first set. I would suggest upgrading to a load rating of at least 2271 lbs. on your next set. :2cents:

David

wcampbell78

I took off about 3/4" off the rocker panel right behind the wheel. The gap between the inner and outer skin was cleaned, rustproofed and filled with sikaflex 252, then painted. Finally I covered the inside wheelwell with underbody coating.

In the front I had to remove the standing seam and move the wheelwell about 1/2" forward, its right in the seam area where the wheelwell sheetmetal transitions to horizontal...
Do you have any pictures on this. I'm having my 2002 in for rust cleanup and might have them mod this as well. I really like the way yours looks!

God bless you,

William

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
Update: I had to add 1.5 degree camber shims to straighten out the tires and even out the wear.

I had lots of outer edge wear on the front tires, maybe it's partially due to the Koni/bigger tire combination and change in geometry...

Cheers
George

Top Bottom