Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:22 PM   #11
O6sprinter

Default Re: Yet another A/C thread

Thanks Midwest,

I'm going to call that good news!!

With a digital thermometer idling in the driveway, I'm getting 45 f and less
. I'm in South FL the ambient temperature sensor reading 90 not sure what the humidity was. FL this time of the year I'm sure it was high!!!!
City driving, it's comfortable with the temperature control adjusted up a little. That's until the sun hits the windshield, that warms it up fast. I talked to window tint guy $275 for the UV windshield and both sides.

I was on the highway 50-60 mph, in a Dow pour. I didn't have the thermometer with me but it was a lot cooler. Uncomfortable cold with the temperature control on Hi.

The temperature control does put heat in the cabin, maybe not enough? My first guess about the B1009 ( coolant circulation pump ) is it's shorted out. From my understanding, it's only for heating the cabin not engine temperature. PLEASE correct me if I wrong!!!!!

Looks like the pump is $140, proudly a good idea to replace the hoses at the same time.

I also added die just in case of a leak. I'll give it a week or so check for Leak's and through the gauges on. If it's not leaking and the Hi & low pressures stay good. I'll call it a win! If I see something out of line it's going to a pro. Ask them to suck all the freon & oil out start over.

Thanks again Lee
O6sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:32 PM   #12
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 4,219 Times in 2,579 Posts

I am assuming your engine gets up to temp (180F or so).

With the control on high temp setting, you should easily overpower the AC. Note that the top center two vents bypass the heater core, so they AC only.

With the AC off you should be able to get 120F air out of the vents with the heat on high temp. If not, you have one of the following issues.

1 malfunctioning ATC. Could be the knobs potentiometer, etc. There are services which will rebuild for around 100-150$ Unplug the heater control valve to test. With a scanner you can read the cabin temperature from the ATC, just to confirm it is seeing the right temp. THe ATC reads the cabin temp through the small vent on its front. From there it determines how much coolant is needed based on the dial setting.

2 Your heater control valve is sticking closed. Its default position is full open, so unplugging it should yield full heat. The valve is located above the engine near the black HVAC duct.

3 You are low on coolant, and the heater core is not getting fully filled. Check your coolant level. If you are constantly getting low coolant with no signs of leakage, you may have a head gasket leak putting gas into the coolant system.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:51 PM   #13
O6sprinter

Yes the engine temperature gets up to 180 -190F. I'll try with the top center vents close.

I wouldn't be surprised if the if the ATC has issues, I've read they are known to have problems. To start with how can read the ATC With a scanner? ( MD 802 ) I tried, couldn't find the setting. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!!!!

I'm not having any coolant problems. Hope it stays that way!!!!!!
Old 07-24-2018, 10:01 PM   #14
DFW_Motorrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfflyer View Post
Congratulations. Toyota MR2? What year?
Thank you. 1989 with a Gen 2 3S-GTE from ATS Racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O6sprinter View Post
Yes the engine temperature gets up to 180 -190F. I'll try with the top center vents close.

I wouldn't be surprised if the if the ATC has issues, I've read they are known to have problems. To start with how can read the ATC With a scanner? ( MD 802 ) I tried, couldn't find the setting. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!!!!

I'm not having any coolant problems. Hope it stays that way!!!!!!
Try flicking the temperature knob around to clean up the potentiometer. My MBII scanner will tell me the requested temperature, evaporator temperature, interior temperature, exterior temperature, and air outlet temperature. I'm not familiar with your scanner but I found this video:

Right around the 4:00 mark is where I would assume you would find that. It's super low quality so I can't read the screen but just poke around in there and see if it's in there. It would be under heater controls or heater control unit.

Last edited by DFW_Motorrad; 07-24-2018 at 10:03 PM.
DFW_Motorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:27 PM   #15
Nautamaran

FWIW I can’t connect to the ATC module with my MD-802... firmware is whatever it was loaded with when I bought it last spring. I’ve not spent any time figuring out if/how I should update it... there’s the risk that some coverage would fall out with an update.

-dave
Nautamaran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:11 PM   #16
Midwestdrifter

The mD 802 will let you use as many versions of the various software as you need. You can keep them in a folder on your computer and swap them out at will.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:14 AM   #17
O6sprinter

I've poked around, I can't find any way to read the ATC. That's not saying much. I'm new to sprinter world.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2018, 02:20 AM   #18
Midwestdrifter

Are you going scan, European, sprinter, 903..., then ATC? Mine connects without issue.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:18 PM   #19
O6sprinter

I tried every possible combination, I'm going to look into updating my 802. I just stumbled upon a more pressing problem.

Oil in my radiator, hopping it just the oil heat exchanger.

Thanks for your help Lee