Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:01 PM   #1
marek42

Lightbulb Aux/Line input on Sound 30 (2006)

Hello!

I just installed an AUX input cable to my Sound 30 system in my 2006 Sprinter and figured I'd put my notes here for future reference. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures but it isn't terribly hard, and is an update to Adding an iPod/MP3 Player to a Sprinter Van.

The cable needed is no longer available but there is a replacement which can be found here:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_023AUXI...t-AUXIN2R.html

You will need this to remove the radio from the dash:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1208690...val-Tools.html

And you will need this, or something similar to take the female RCA connectors out to a 1/8" stereo plug or some other extender of your choosing:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_0431831...A-Adapter.html

All of this will set you back about $40.

I decided to run my cable to the ash tray under the center console, the original link has the cable going into the glove box. Where it goes is up to you.

First you have to re-wire the plug you get for the Blaupunkt radio. As in the original URL the cables need to be moved the same way, everything needs to be flipped along the long axis of the plug (see original link for a photo). Basically pins 1, 2, and 3 have to be moved so they are 9, 10, and 8. You can use a paper click to push the pins out, it was pretty simple (took me about 20-30 seconds each).

Next put the car into neutral w/the e-break on and use your DIN tools using the "Mercedes Applications" tip. Slide them into the little slots on the front of the radio and it'll slide right out. I pulled it all the way out and temporarily disconnected the antenna input, then I pulled out the plastic frame around the radio.

Next you'll want to pull out the ash tray and there are 2 torx screws holding it in, pull out the tray completely and I disconnected the cig lighter plug and put it aside for now. Now you can push up your aux heater controller or the little holder in your dash, this will expose a screw that will let you pull up the console w/all the switches on it.

Connect your extension cable to the stereo adaptor for the radio and I found that on the right side as you look at where the radio goes below where the frame is that you took out you can drop the 1/8" stereo plug straight down and it'll come out in the cavity where all the switches live. Just pull the cable through and run it to the ash tray. I simply took out the ash tray part that you can take out to dump the ashes and put the cable through the holes that were then available. Optionally you could put a hole into that plastic and keep the ash tray part...

Then just test it and put it all back together and enjoy your AUX input on the Sound 30.

It took me about an hour in total to do everything, and I spent about 20 minutes figuring how to get into things I didn't need to get into to do this. So its pretty quick.

Hope this all makes sense. :) If not I'll try to answer questions!

-Marek

Last edited by marek42; 04-29-2009 at 11:07 PM.
marek42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marek42 For This Useful Post:
Aircraft Wrench (09-12-2009), gpavlov (04-17-2011), Thanasis (02-25-2011), vargopack (07-24-2009)
Old 04-30-2009, 01:43 AM   #2
Aircraft Wrench

Default Re: Aux/Line input on Sound 30 (2006)

Mark,

Thanks for the very timely write up...my summer help driver is really wanting to add Sirius or an MP3 to my '06. Now I have the knowledge!

Best,

Jimmy
Aircraft Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:01 PM   #3
Hawkesley

Thumbs up Re: Aux/Line input on Sound 30 (2006)

Marek,

Thank you very much for posting such a thorough and accurate write-up on the process. Especially the updated Crutchfield list and routing to the ashtray. I ordered the parts last week and just finished the job. It took me an hour and a half but I am a little slow. Especially getting the pins out of the blaupunkt connector. Two of the pins took 20 seconds and one pin took 20 minutes! I also discovered I needed to use the small standard paper clip and not the bigger size.

You saved me a ton of money and it went exactly per your write-up. A month ago, I took my honda to a stereo shop to get an iphone connector and it cost a couple hundred dollars, was nowhere near as nice a layout, and of course they gave me the 1st gen iphone connector and so it is not fully compatible and I only get sound and no charging. This is much better!

Even the length of the RCA cord (6 feet) was perfect.

Thanks!

Bob
Hawkesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
Mike LaB.

Marek,

I just ordered the three items you recommended for the Sound 30 Aux. hookup from Crutchfield. Thank you for the great information!

I also ordered, from TSS Radio, a hard wire kit to power my satellite receiver. http://www.tss-radio.com/sirius-vehi...it-p-4438.html
They are another very helpful company that deals primarilly with Sirius Radio parts and accessories. This will eliminate the cigarette lighter plug for a less cluttered effect.

Mike
Mike LaB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
SPRINTERUK
HERE TO HELP

hi guys
just to let you know mercedes supply a aux lead to suit the tin sprinter with a sound 30 radio
simple plug and play uk cost 17.46
inc posted to the u.s total 23.00
we have these in stock delivery about 5 working days
regards
chris
Old 06-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
Mike LaB.

chris,
Can you give us a web site and part number?
I've never ordered from a company outside the U.S. so I don't know how to reach them.
Thanks.
Mike
Old 06-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #7
SPRINTERUK
HERE TO HELP

hi mike
you can order from us
we are a mercedes commercial dealer here in the uk
just e-mail me chriscase@gerardmann.co.uk
regards
chris

Last edited by SPRINTERUK; 06-15-2009 at 03:53 PM.
SPRINTERUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
Mike LaB.

chris,
I've emailed you. Thanks.
Mike
Old 06-18-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
pvsprinter

S-30.jpg

New home for a mismatched radio. It even sounds half decent, thou there is DIN chassis and Din chassis. Shove hard to fit, after judicious carving. It's plug and play in a 94 E320.

Bob
pvsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
Mike LaB.

I ordered an aux wire for my Sound 30 radio from Chris Case at Sprinter UK and the part came from England in one week. Cost $37.69 which included shipping. Well worth it for a direct plug and play setup!

Thanks Chris!

As the photo shows, the wire from the aux radio to the main radio is a mini stereo plug on both ends. The mini stereo female jack end on the main radio wire has the capabilities to be installed as a dash mount but I left everything inside the dash and just brought the wire out that plugs into my satellite radio. It took me under an hour to do the install and the trickiest part was fishing the wire from the radio to where I brought it out of the dashboard.

The radio removal tools I bought from Crutchfield came with sharp edges as revealed by previous posters in another thread. I filed off the sharp edges from where they were punched out of a piece of sheetmetal and they were pleasant to work with.

Now I'll try doing the same thing in my wife's 2002 Ford Focus wagon. That car requires different dash removal tools so now it's back to searching the web.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3IMG_4341.JPG (143.0 KB, 684 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike LaB. For This Useful Post:
LOTUS (05-15-2013)