Awning rollout problem 2018 WBGO Navion 24D

Wangwin

The awning starts to unroll when the switch is pressed for “out” but then just rolls back up against the motor home. It does not get out of the canister protector. Any ideas on how to correct without heading to a repair place?

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Weird. Just a WAG here. Are you sure there is not a "lock" engaged on the arms"? I don't recall a lock on our 14G. Sometimes I have to give the arms a little tug to get them started if one decides not to start extending with its mate. It should unroll all the way and stop automatically.

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
Place the awning out as far as it can before it rolls back in. Tug to pull it out. You put the awning away wet or something is making the fabrics stick together.

Wangwin

Thanks for the info. I’ve tried what’s been shared. I have a repair person scheduled to look at it. I’ll let everyone know the results.

Wangwin

Update: Problem solved on the awning. The aluminum components of the awning “can/cover” and the awning material react with each other causing a “bonding” and the material will stick to the aluminum can causing the awning to stick inside the can and not roll out.

The solution is to utilize the awning frequently or jus roll it out and back in often and if you have rain or moisture be sure to roll it out after the rain or moisture to dry it out, otherwise bonding may occur.

The repair place searched and stated this is a known WBGO issue.

Thanks to those that responded.

CGKMGK

As and FYI,
I also have the aluminum protective cover on my View awning. The very first time I rolled it out I treated the awning vinyl with 303 Protectant. And since then give it a treatment twice per season.
The protectant keeps the vinyl pliable, protects against UV rays, makes water just bead up and roll off in a rain storm and the awning never gets hung up on rollout or roll in.You might want to give the 303 a try. I'm sure it will help.

billbo

Well I also have the 18V24D. I bought it new and it had no protective cover - no cover at all. It is just the awning fabric. That's very interesting. The fabric does indeed stick to itself, vinyl. On my rig it is where the A/C condensate runs off and collects dirt etc. onto the vinyl. I've learned to extend the awning and wash that spot when we wash the rig. If it is clean it does not stick. Otherwise on the road you must pull the arm out while extending and then all is good.

I just watched several videos of the '18V24D, including at Lichtsinn. There is no cover on any of those either, just a naked awning roll.

I haven't sprayed 303 on it yet, good idea though.

Last edited:

CGKMGK

The aluminum cover comes standard with the full body paint option.
I specifically requested the aluminum cover when I ordered my View from Lichtsinn and it was optional since I did not choose full body paint for $6K !

Wangwin

Thanks for the info on the A/C condensation cleaning. Yes mine is the full body paint so now I know why the awning fits in a can. Thanks

gyrogypsy

Thank you. Now ordered.

Perhaps you can answer this new question: What is the purpose of the short clear 1/2" hose attached behind the water control panel?

CGKMGK

That's for winterizing the rig with RV anti freeze. You use with the water pump to circulate the antifreeze through the plumbing for winter storage.
I blow the lines out with an air compressor for winter storage. Either method works.
Refer to your owners manual for detailed instructions on winterizing when the time comes.

As and FYI,
I also have the aluminum protective cover on my View awning. The very first time I rolled it out I treated the awning vinyl with 303 Protectant. And since then give it a treatment twice per season.
The protectant keeps the vinyl pliable, protects against UV rays, makes water just bead up and roll off in a rain storm and the awning never gets hung up on rollout or roll in.You might want to give the 303 a try. I'm sure it will help.
Do you apply 303 to the underside of the awning? I'm hoping the answer is yes, as it seems it would be difficult to apply it to the upper side.

CGKMGK

I do both sides. I use a swiffer with the dry duster and spray the 303 on the clean duster.
Using a ladder with the awning all the way out and dropped to its lowest setting, I can do the top pretty easily. Then the bottom side is easy as well.
After applying the protectant I go over both sides with a dry microfiber cloth to pick up any excess.
Keeps everything pliable, protected and looking like new:thumbup:

Top Bottom