2018 Sprinter Cargo 144 Adventure Van

overland.van

Well, I pulled the trigger and bought a new 2018 Sprinter 2500 Cargo 144WB 4x2 in Stone Grey at Mercedes-Benz of Loveland yesterday.

Figured I would start a thread here just to keep my own thoughts and ideas organized and chronicle the build.

Let's start with the van...

Optional equipment is as follows:
  • Active Safety Plus Package
  • F01 Swivel Seat Package
  • X13 Lighting Package
  • X22 Trailer Hitch Package
  • X27 Additional Battery Package
  • AR2 Axle Ratio 3.92
  • CF4 Suspension w/H.D. Front & Rear Stabilizers
  • CT1 Rear Spring Vibration Absorbers
  • D03 Roof - High
  • D13 Roof Rails
  • D93 Deletion of Cargo Partition (Standard)
  • ED8 Parametric Special Module (PSM) Preparation
  • EN7 Audio 15 (Standard)
  • ES2 12V Power Outlet Rear Compartment
  • E46 12V Power Outlet - Driver Seat Base
  • FJ1 I/P Hinged Lid-Center Stack Bin
  • FZ9 Keys - Two Additional Masters
  • F43 Laminated Glass Rear
  • H16 Heated Driver Seat
  • J51 Fuel Gauge, Optimized for AUX Fuel Tap
  • L65 Lamps - Cargo Compartment
  • MS1 Cruise Control
  • RF1 Continental Tires
  • RM1 Tires Mud & Snow
  • R98 Rims Painted Jet Black
  • T16 Sliding Door - Right Side (Standard)
  • T74 Assist Handle - Sliding Door
  • T75 Door Mounted Assist Handles, Driver & Passenger
  • T85 Assist Handle - Left Rear Door
  • T86 Assist Handle - Right Rear Door
  • V43 Cargo Van Wood Floor (Standard)
  • W17 Fixed Window, Right Side Front
  • W70 Tint for Rear Windows and Rear Side Windows

Sprinter build sheets are weird.

Here's a couple pictures of the van with its big (little?) brother.

overland.van

Preliminary Build Plan

Okay, so I'm going to layout my build plan, as it were, thus far...

My mantra for this build is K.I.S.S. - I hope no one out there doesn't know what that acronym means :laughing:

My plans so far...

Exterior:
  • Matte black hood wrap, maybe even the side rocker panels and the front of the high roof
  • 265/75/16 BFG KO2s (if keeping the factory steelies) or 265/70/17 KO2s and Black Rhino Warlord Wheels
  • Auxiliary lighting
  • Winch? (I know the Agile Off-Road setup only works with the 4x4 models but does anyone know anything about this offering from N4 Off-Road? http://www.n4-offroad.com/?Winch-plate-for-Sprinter-II-III&lang=fr
  • Dual Maxxair fans
  • Awning
  • Roof rack and ladder?
  • CR Lawrence Awning window behind driver door, opposite sliding door
  • Sliding "bunk windows" on both sides in the rear, mounted at the height where the bed will be most of the time. Trying to figure out what size would fit nicely between the E-Track MOAB bed rails... 10x30? 10x28?
  • MB windows in rear cargo doors

Interior:
  • Adventure Wagon RUV interior kit and MOAB bed, with a couple of Mule storage bags
  • Mountain bike fork block mounts
  • Snowboard / ski rack mounted to wall
  • Chemical toilet
  • MB second row seat install (would have it added using the MB parts, and work done by DOT certified shop that will do all necessary reinforcement for safety)
  • Rubberized flooring with some additional e-track for more tiedown locations
  • Some sort of basic storage box / drawer in the rear for ease of storing and accessing helmets, pads, other recreational gear
  • Espar heater with high-altitude kit
  • Fridge/Freezer (already own an ARB 50QT that is in the Jeep)
  • USB / 12V plugs as well as some standard wall plugs for ease of charging devices

A/V & Electrical:
  • Replace factory headunit
  • Replace factory speakers and add some additional speakers in rear, definitely 2 in the upper part of the rear doors, and maybe some midway through the van
  • Adventure Wagon electrical kit for USB / 12V / Lighting / Fans
  • House battery system (at least upgrade OEM AUX battery to the AdWag twin 6V kit, if not go with something better)... Would like to be able to charge devices, run fridge and other electronics / stereo for 2-3 days without starting the van

overland.van

Order of Operations

I have been thinking through order of operations on the build, as well as making some minor changes to my ideas for the interior based on conversations I'm having with various van builders.

I think the first things I'd probably want to tackle are:
- A window tint to the front windows to match that of the glass on the sliding door. The sun here in Colorado is no joke.
- Hood and rocker panel wrap, while the van is still clean...
- Head unit. I had heard the stock one is horrible. One look at mine confirmed what I had heard.
- Windows. At least a full size CR Laurence window with awning vents opposite the sliding door, to get some airflow and make it more immediately livable. If I can figure out the approximate height where the MOAB bed would be mounted (with mattress on top), maybe the bunk windows as well, but probably best to wait on these until doing the AdWag interior.
- Fans. Front and rear Maxxair 7500K is what I'm thinking. The AdWag interior will support this configuration and this will allow for more airflow (one fan blowing in, one pulling air out and hopefully enough that it pulls some flow through the window.
- Sound deadening and insulation. This is a freaking wormhole, if I've ever seen one. Thinsulate, Hush Mat, Denim, Lizard Skin, open cell foam, Luxury Liner Pro, Damplifier, Polyiso, etc., etc., etc. :thinking: :wtf:
- Tires. Want to get these on before ski season.

Next I'm thinking I'd tackle:
- Espar heater with high-altitude kit and muffler. Want to get this in before the winter.
- Second row seat mounts. Originally was thinking of mounting in the 1.0 position, but a builder suggested the 2.0 position, as it would clear the MOAB bed and leave some room for a galley if I wanted to add one, or even a table between the front swivel chairs and the bench. This would also help when bringing friends along on ski trips.
- Floor. Rubberized, with E-track for tie downs and bike fork blocks. This would at least allow me a water resistant floor for ski season and also the ability to mount a bike upright in the back for fall trips to Fruita.

Lastly:
- Batteries
- AdWag interior
- Additional speakers and Amplifier

Dale Remsberg

Following your build. I'm pulling the trigger on almost the same Van today. Mine is coming with the aux heater package for pre heating the engine- Do you have that? the swivel package you got F01? Is that the factory kits? Do you know if the Espar heaters will still fit under the passenger seat?

Also would you share with me what cost you got out the door with?

Well, I pulled the trigger and bought a new 2018 Sprinter 2500 Cargo 144WB 4x2 in Stone Grey at Mercedes-Benz of Loveland yesterday.

Figured I would start a thread here just to keep my own thoughts and ideas organized and chronicle the build.

Let's start with the van...

Optional equipment is as follows:
  • Active Safety Plus Package
  • F01 Swivel Seat Package
  • X13 Lighting Package
  • X22 Trailer Hitch Package
  • X27 Additional Battery Package
  • AR2 Axle Ratio 3.92
  • CF4 Suspension w/H.D. Front & Rear Stabilizers
  • CT1 Rear Spring Vibration Absorbers
  • D03 Roof - High
  • D13 Roof Rails
  • D93 Deletion of Cargo Partition (Standard)
  • ED8 Parametric Special Module (PSM) Preparation
  • EN7 Audio 15 (Standard)
  • ES2 12V Power Outlet Rear Compartment
  • E46 12V Power Outlet - Driver Seat Base
  • FJ1 I/P Hinged Lid-Center Stack Bin
  • FZ9 Keys - Two Additional Masters
  • F43 Laminated Glass Rear
  • H16 Heated Driver Seat
  • J51 Fuel Gauge, Optimized for AUX Fuel Tap
  • L65 Lamps - Cargo Compartment
  • MS1 Cruise Control
  • RF1 Continental Tires
  • RM1 Tires Mud & Snow
  • R98 Rims Painted Jet Black
  • T16 Sliding Door - Right Side (Standard)
  • T74 Assist Handle - Sliding Door
  • T75 Door Mounted Assist Handles, Driver & Passenger
  • T85 Assist Handle - Left Rear Door
  • T86 Assist Handle - Right Rear Door
  • V43 Cargo Van Wood Floor (Standard)
  • W17 Fixed Window, Right Side Front
  • W70 Tint for Rear Windows and Rear Side Windows

Sprinter build sheets are weird.

Here's a couple pictures of the van with its big (little?) brother.

RVCuisineScene

Dale, I got my 2017 3500 extended/high roof 4X4 this past Jan with most of the options you listed, FWIW my out the door cost was $60K

overland.van

Following your build. I'm pulling the trigger on almost the same Van today. Mine is coming with the aux heater package for pre heating the engine- Do you have that? the swivel package you got F01? Is that the factory kits? Do you know if the Espar heaters will still fit under the passenger seat?

Also would you share with me what cost you got out the door with?

I don’t have the aux heater / pre-booster. I was told it doesn’t really work that well at altitude, and in Colorado, I don’t think our temperatures get cold enough to make it a must have.

Yes, factory swivel seats. I don’t see why the Espar wouldn’t fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

overland.van

Been looking at wheel options. Anyone have any suggestions for a good 16” or 17” wheel with the proper offset / backspacing that has a more “off-road” look to it?

So far I have looked at:
- MB 16” alloys
- Black Rhino Warlords 17”
- Roam Built / Hutchinson
- Method
- Ultra Motorsports

Dale Remsberg

Totally agree with you on that but the van I found has it and the timing was right. So maybe it will be a nice bonus for those times I'm camped in really cold temps etc... So I'm still going to instill the D2 on the passenger side. My question now is will having two draws off the diesel tank work fine? I would only ever use one at a time and mostly just the D2 but since pre booster is using the factor draw on the diesel is install of the second heater work? I'm not doing the install as it will be done at build out place but has anyone heard of problems of having both? Thanks in Advance!

I don’t have the aux heater / pre-booster. I was told it doesn’t really work that well at altitude, and in Colorado, I don’t think our temperatures get cold enough to make it a must have.

Yes, factory swivel seats. I don’t see why the Espar wouldn’t fit.

overland.van

Totally agree with you on that but the van I found has it and the timing was right. So maybe it will be a nice bonus for those times I'm camped in really cold temps etc... So I'm still going to instill the D2 on the passenger side. My question now is will having two draws off the diesel tank work fine? I would only ever use one at a time and mostly just the D2 but since pre booster is using the factor draw on the diesel is install of the second heater work? I'm not doing the install as it will be done at build out place but has anyone heard of problems of having both? Thanks in Advance!

No idea. May want to do a search for threads on the aux heater or start a separate thread for that...

overland.van

Alright... I’m going to steer this conversation back over to wheels... anybody got a line on some good looking off-road style wheels for the Sprinter, other than the options I listed above?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I personally would stick with the factory steels, stronger and more reliable, they can also be straightened if bent off road or hitting a curb. In my experience its usually they guys with $2,000 faux beadlock "off road style" wheels who get stuck in some ditch, and don't know how to recover.... (in one case didn't know how to engage 4x4)

The steel wheels are usually the same weight or lighter than the cast alloy ones anyways.

If you need a wider wheel for bigger tires etc, the NCV3 4x4 sub forum has some good discussion.

Top Bottom