Sound 5 - Connect to Aux in!

quietcoolone

As a footnote: I took my handy volt meter to the back of my Mobis Sound 5. There was no power at the pins listed on the pin out at the beginning if this thread. It's apparent the Becker and Mobis are different in their pin usage. In fact, I tested every pin and only at one pin in the 3rd iso cluster was i able to get 1.5v, but the rest were not powered.

HTH,

Kenny C
NYC
I have been using the iP-BKR2 cable for a long time (ever since apple changed the charging voltage on the iPhone and it works great. I have the Becker Sound 5 and i'm guessing that the reason Mobis (by Hyundai) does not work is because it is not listed in the application. Apparently Mobis (as others have stated on this forum), supports aux audio adapters (blau/8-3.5) etc.
You tested the pins (i'm guessing the iso pins) with a voltmeter and found none had power, but we know the radio is getting power from the car, so why not take the power wire from the green plug and connect them to the car? Would that resolve the charging issue?

Holmeslice

2020 VS30 144" High Crew
I have been using the iP-BKR2 cable for a long time (ever since apple changed the charging voltage on the iPhone and it works great. I have the Becker Sound 5 and i'm guessing that the reason Mobis (by Hyundai) does not work is because it is not listed in the application. Apparently Mobis (as others have stated on this forum), supports aux audio adapters (blau/8-3.5) etc.
You tested the pins (i'm guessing the iso pins) with a voltmeter and found none had power, but we know the radio is getting power from the car, so why not take the power wire from the green plug and connect them to the car? Would that resolve the charging issue?
Hmmmm, you don't work for Discount Car Stereo by chance, do you?

Sure, I can hotwire this cable, but was looking for a plug and play solution. As others had hypothesized in this thread before me, the Mobis *probably* had the same pinout as the Becker. But I have now reported back to say that it definitely does not.

Yes, the blau/8-3.5 works great with the Mobis for audio. I bought one from Discount Car Stereo and will continue to use it, but am looking to return the other to the supplier.

-Kenny C.
NYC

quietcoolone

Hmmmm, you don't work for Discount Car Stereo by chance, do you?

Sure, I can hotwire this cable, but was looking for a plug and play solution. As others had hypothesized in this thread before me, the Mobis *probably* had the same pinout as the Becker. But I have now reported back to say that it definitely does not.

Yes, the blau/8-3.5 works great with the Mobis for audio. I bought one from Discount Car Stereo and will continue to use it, but am looking to return the other to the supplier.

-Kenny C.
NYC
Sorry but I don't work for that company. They have been around for a while and i have used them multiple times and have recommended them to others.
With your experience we can conclude that Mobis is only compatible with the aux inputs unless you are willing to wire your own power and ground.

kailculus

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I have a 2008 and just put in my aux line-in yesterday. It was so easy with this thread.

To sum it up and reiterate for others that might have skipped all the posts. Here is what all you need.

Pulling radio out of dash

Reprogram your radio

And this is the part you need

I do have a question though. I remember seeing it in other thread but I have not been able to relocate it. How do I switch it up so my radio will run off the aux battery? So I don't have to worry about draining the starter battery. Thanks!

Biggsie

Do folks know if it's guaranteed that Sprinters 07-08 have Blaupunkts? If so, this adapter should work for my 07. Thanks.

kailculus

I don't know for sure, but the chance is really high that it will work. If not, at least it's only $10. You can probably try to reprogram your radio to make sure that you can turn on AUX. If you can, chance is even higher that it will work.

Holmeslice

2020 VS30 144" High Crew
Do folks know if it's guaranteed that Sprinters 07-08 have Blaupunkts? If so, this adapter should work for my 07. Thanks.
I think there is confusion. Perhaps because this cable from DiscountCarStereo says "for Blaupunkt".
But it also says "for Sound 5"

Your Sprinter radio is probably a Sound 5, and will be made by either Becker or Mobis (not Blaupunkt).

I suggest before you remove your stereo from your dash, you try following the programming instructions in the link in the post above and see if you can program the Aux functionality on your Sound 5. If you can, then I'm almost positive this audio cable will work for you. It connects to the Iso port on the rear and brings a stereo signal (L/R and Ground) via cable using your headphone jack. It is audio only. It doesn't charge your Ipod/Iphone

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/BLAU-8-3.5MS.html

-Kenny C.
NYC

Biggsie

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I have a 2008 and just put in my aux line-in yesterday. It was so easy with this thread.

To sum it up and reiterate for others that might have skipped all the posts. Here is what all you need.

Pulling radio out of dash

Reprogram your radio

And this is the part you need

I do have a question though. I remember seeing it in other thread but I have not been able to relocate it. How do I switch it up so my radio will run off the aux battery? So I don't have to worry about draining the starter battery. Thanks!
Thanks for this post. Ordered the part off ebay and installed it in about 15 minutes using your links (most of that time was spent deciding where to drill the hole for the exit of the aux cable)
:cheers:

siegcw

2011 Mercedes Crew ~10k
Thanks a bunch for this write-up. It was very helpful. I just purchased a 2011 170" Crew Van and this is my first project. Some updates: The aux audio cable for the Sound 5 now comes completely pinned and has the headphone plug, no RCA adapter necessary. That's good... but the bad news is it was 29.99 plus 12.00 shipping. They know they've got you. Anyway, Thanks Again!!

Bruce53

I think there is confusion. Perhaps because this cable from DiscountCarStereo says "for Blaupunkt".
But it also says "for Sound 5"

Your Sprinter radio is probably a Sound 5, and will be made by either Becker or Mobis (not Blaupunkt).

I suggest before you remove your stereo from your dash, you try following the programming instructions in the link in the post above and see if you can program the Aux functionality on your Sound 5. If you can, then I'm almost positive this audio cable will work for you. It connects to the Iso port on the rear and brings a stereo signal (L/R and Ground) via cable using your headphone jack. It is audio only. It doesn't charge your Ipod/Iphone

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/BLAU-8-3.5MS.html

-Kenny C.
NYC
Or this: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/BLAU-8-3.5F.html, which I prefer because there are no wires left hanging when the AUX is not in use. I got this with it: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/3.5-3.5mm.html, which is the same as what I use in my other vehicle that came with an AUX jack built in.

Thanks, everyone, for this very helpful thread!

Top Bottom