4x4 for 2008?

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
4x4 are in Australia as a Mercedes-Benz , a few dozen in my state All government services such as Hydro Tasmania and Telstra communications company they work well as a go any where vehicle, I think Sportsmobile have worked out that Mercedes control the markets, and the genuine all wheel drive units on a Sprinter! Are only a few years away, from production.
I'll happy snap one if I can find one on the road :smilewink:
Richard

Llarry

Llamasine driver
If Mercedes-made, the price would be reasonable, but I think they will continue to use the Iglhaut aftermarket solution, which means prices in the 10K range. You have to want 4WD pretty bad to pay that much...

Attachments

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Does anybody know what wheels / tires are shown on that Sprinter on the Sportmobile site?

Loren
Loren:

They look like the Sprinter stock 16" steel wheels that are powder coated black. The tires look like Goodyear Wrangler MTR's.

Seek

poolmike

'05 2500 SHC
poolmike
Question if the van was offered to you as a all wheel drive would that suffice?
Or are you after the real 4x4 go any where vehicle.
Richard
4x4 would do. I really enjoy my Sprinter, until it snows here.

I'm building an old military truck for my 'go anywhere' vehicle.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Go any where type vehicle! Now there is only one that can do that a six wheel drive Studebaker,! Well you did say Military.
Richard

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
Here is Mercedes' South African 4x4 brouchure. As in Germany, it is a conversion, this time by Artemus Trading, under an Iglhaut license.

Attachments

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Look out lads the Boys from down under know the Crafters :thumbup:
Heres one for Dodge at least the Crafter has a speedo adjustment for larger tyres.
no more discrepancy's with speedo errors.
Richard

Last edited:

therabbittree

Man , those 4x4's look Awesome. How different is the VW Crafter from new '07 Sprinter?.. they look very similar from the side. I am normally a VW guy but last VW van here was the 2003 eurovan.. I have one, and as usual the USA gets the short end of the deal.. no tdi's and no manual trans etc etc....
I am looking at upgrading to a new second gen '07 sprinter ..I wish 4x4 or a manual trans was option..any pics of a '07 4x4 from over seas?
Thanks,
Deo

phaeton

Volkwagen Fanatic
Man , those 4x4's look Awesome. How different is the VW Crafter from new '07 Sprinter?.. they look very similar from the side. I am normally a VW guy but last VW van here was the 2003 eurovan.. I have one, and as usual the USA gets the short end of the deal.. no tdi's and no manual trans etc etc....
I am looking at upgrading to a new second gen '07 sprinter ..I wish 4x4 or a manual trans was option..any pics of a '07 4x4 from over seas?
Thanks,
Deo
Hi Deo :cheers:

The Crafter has a 2.5 TDI Common Rail with Piezo Injectors that develops:

65kW / 89bhp max. torque 220 Nm at 1750-2500/min.

80kW / 109bhp max. torque 280 Nm at 2000/min.

100kW / 136bhp max. torque 300 Nm at 2000/min.

120kW / 164bhp max. torque 350 Nm at 2000/min.

Plus VW have further developed the old Sprintshift automatic system from 1st gen Sprinter for the Crafter called Shiftmatic by VW.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Heres a thought tire size not available in Australia Class rating C
Of course no ESP as result of All Wheel Drive4x4 configuration
However if it was AWD then you would have ESP:thumbup:
The one weak point of the Sprinter in Australia is A limited tires in C class configuration straight pattern no radial cross ply all weather tires exist in 15 inch configuration , the minute you go off road you lose traction bog down in the sand or slight inclines on steep driveways and the dam thing spins and goes nowhere.
At least we can get air suspension without ESP but that's fine as it's an option for the older Australian Sprinters so most don't have it anyway,.
Thats why I'm so keen on an AWD as it retains ESP

not 4x4vehicle it would be perfect for the Sprinter.
Richard
No ESP.jpg

All WD.jpg

Top Bottom