start error mercedes sprinter 2001

Sheena

Hello all you sprinter gurus.
New owner of auto, diesel, 2001 sprinter, has the stick on the dash- I live 75km from nearest dealer
Love my sprinter bought for work purposes butnot having so much joy yet with my beautiful van..
1st - drained battery listening to stereo and investigating the vehicle when first brought home in Dec 2019, simple jump start with Holden rodeo all good
2nd- had auxiliary belt break, replaced by very helpful mobile mechanic, no problems - took vehicle remote on holiday, stopping multiple times daily - all fun and no drama
3rd - returned home from remote trip and washed vehicle inside with microfibre cloth and water - started vehicle no drama. washed exterior of vehicle with cloth and bucket ( no hose) and now getting "start error".
able to turn key in ignition, all lights on dash come on then comes up with start error in the odometer. lights that remain on are ARS, park brake and battery. no crank, small fan running when turn key on and small click ? from engine bay.
Battery voltage 12.3 with no drop on loading- tried jump starting anyway but no change
checked all fuses visually and with volt meter replaced big fuse 30 under drivers seat - still functioned but appeared grotty.
checked grounds
have read every forum here and on car gurus, MB etc etc and tried every hint and fix within my capability - I am a remote area nurse - good at bodging medicine but not confident with cars.....
So, I have bitten the bullet and it is now on its way to Mercedes Bunbury on a tilt tray!!! covered ( almost) by roadside assist.
What I would like to know from you peeps is what to be aware of with dealer - I have very limited finances and a warranty covering up to $1000 for starters ignitions etc
the glow plugs were new in 2018, the battery was new in 2018, rails replaced 2019.
Anything you can tell me so I am not at the mercy of mechanics would be helpful.

Last edited:

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
'Start Error' with the electric cooling fan running usually signifies a fault with Fuse Box #1 located on the steering column. Try removing the cover and applying gentle pressure to the fuse box and see if the error clears.

Keith.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
'Start Error' with the electric cooling fan running usually signifies a fault with Fuse Box #1 located on the steering column. Try removing the cover and applying gentle pressure to the fuse box and see if the error clears.

Keith.
This would be the first place to start. The ECM power relay is on the bottom of the fuse block. A gentle wiggle may get you going again. Replacing the fuse block is not challenging, and is typically the best approach.

Your washing may have disturbed the box, causing the issue.

Sometimes the grounds can cause odd behavior, so if the fuse block checks out, take a look at the battery ground strap and connection.

Sheena

Thanks all. My suspicion lies with the fuse box 1. Date stamp is original 2001.
Will let you know...

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
The dealer will probably just start throwing random parts at it at your expense.

The fuse block can usually be totally fixed by giving the terminals a little tweak. There will be threads on here.

Sheena

Update re sprinter.
Dealer stating key damages, this is true. Held together with split pin when purchased. And ignition barrel wiring "chopped up" with aftermarket wiring. PREVIOUS OWNER..Fuse box number 1 otherwise ok.
So new keys ( currently only have 1) and transponder coil.
$900.00 all up labour included and a 2 week wait.
Thanks for all advice.
I will get braver with repairs when I have some more experience with this vehicle...
Thanks again
Happy travels.

Top Bottom