Front seat install

jkbridges80

2010 ex-Postie sprinter - dog and surf conversion
Hi,
Have finally nabbed myself a 2010 313 cdi MWB van; ex-Australia post so it’s a bright red!
I’m hoping someone might have an idea on who I can see about getting a front passenger seat installed, as it currently only has the drivers seat.
I am located in hobart, TAS.
Any help will be appreciated! More to come on the upcoming camper conversion ☺

jaahn

Hi JK :)
You have some decisions to make re how you get approval for other changes, perhaps. So what I would do is get a genuine seat and base and hardware etc as required and put it in place. The holes and pressings will be there. That is perfectly legal if you don not use it while driving. Then get on with the rest of the fitout.

Of course you should enquire of your state registration authority what is necessary to get whatever you need in the long run. But you might need to get a couple of engineers inspections and compliance statements at extra cost if you do it in steps.

In my case in NSW, I had to remove rear seats and a wheel chair lifter. The engineer advised to get it approved as a 'panel van with windows' and 6 seats total. So then I can fit it out any way I like inside that is safe. Works for us with a basic fitout.
Jaahn

LionelM

Yemmy was registered as a panel van and I couldn't get a roadworthy until I got a VicRoads approved engineers certificate approving the conversion - $1,000!

jkbridges80

So I have sourced a seat to put in, now I just need someone to install and certify. Am doing the rounds on the phone to local places but not really getting anywhere. TJM have sounded the most promising so far.

Does anyone have local contacts for this kind of thing?

jkbridges80

To close; I sourced a second hand seat from eBay, and arranged for an engineer to inspect and supply mod plate to upgrade van from 1 seat to 2 seats. The factory points to mount the seat pedestal were already in position, so it was just a case of bolting it all together and having it inspected. I now have 2 seats in the van!!

Top Bottom