T21 Emissions Recall Notice

Lennie

Cole prices are probably typical of a Mercedes dealer. They gave me quotes on issues they saw with my '04, I chose to have my mechanic do the work who is considerably less.

Do all '04 vehicles require a new instrument cluster? Mine did. I'm still waiting to see if I get my tags or a rejection letter because I had the recall done after paying the registration.

cacaw

I'm still waiting to see if I get my tags or a rejection letter because I had the recall done after paying the registration.
Cool, I was hoping someone would do that experiment.

If the DMV is having people mail in their certificate, it doesn't sound like there's any other way they'd know it was completed.

Cole prices are probably typical of a Mercedes dealer. They gave me quotes on issues they saw with my '04, I chose to have my mechanic do the work who is considerably less.

Do all '04 vehicles require a new instrument cluster? Mine did. I'm still waiting to see if I get my tags or a rejection letter because I had the recall done after paying the registration.
Yes.
It should be included in the recall.

Houston forgot mine, that is a year before I bought it.

Mainjet1

I just had the T21 recall done on my 2006 with 99,000 miles at Huntington Beach Dodge. I was apprehensive after reading about some experiences with the recall. My van runs better than new. I dropped it off at 7am, drove it home at 11:30 am. I recommend HB Dodge for the T21 recall repair.

Last edited:

Lennie

Cool, I was hoping someone would do that experiment.

If the DMV is having people mail in their certificate, it doesn't sound like there's any other way they'd know it was completed.
Results are in....drum roll please....California DMV rejected my renewal because I didn't give them "Emission Recall Proof of Correction" no grace period either. It states it is subject to citation if it's driven or parked on the street if my registration has expired (which it has, I paid it to avoid penalties).

It wasn't an experiment on my part, I've been busy getting my other vehicles smog checked and legitimate, necessary repairs done. This was not a smog check year for my Sprinter, that was last year.

Interestingly this information comes in at the 666 posting number.

The devil is in the details.

:cheers: vic

rsprinterbeard

I just had the recall performed on my 2004. Took two visits to my local Mercedes dealer. After the first, my Instrument Cluster was toast, the odometer light stayed on, the check engine was lit, and the EGR whined until the battery was dead. After the return visit, new IC (covered under warranty) and no problems. I was sure to have the service advisor fill out the "Vehicle Emission Recall - Proof of Correction" form that's part of the recall paperwork posted by Aqua Puttana. I printed out the pages and was able to point to that form and ask, please fill this out. Kudos to Autobahn Motors in Belmont, California on their staying with this recall and subsequent repair and covering the replacement IC under warranty. The IC was initially backordered, but I think I sped up completion of the repair by having the dealer do a slug of deferred maintenance on the van (transmission flush, coolant replacement, power steering service, and differential service); they wanted me to pay for that work to close out their month. Now I'm just a smog check away from getting the van registered this year, although according to the service paperwork, I have to drive over 1000 miles before I can get the test.

While I'm sure I could get future service work done elsewhere for less, I'll be going back to Autobahn. I'm very happy with how they treated me during this recall ordeal.

Last edited:

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
Has a TSB been issued? If so what is the reference?
"Carter, Home",

I just sent you a PM wondering if you ever got your FL T21 issues resolved by MB of Chandler.

I tried to reach out to Bill Stamper at MB Chandler today. Was not able to contact him.

Brian in San Antonio

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
The Seattle MB dealer did the instrument cluster swap on a 2004 a couple of years ago... it took them a "tow it back in" or two for them to finally work it out, but they did.

Thread by the owner: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52197

Have your MB dealer contact "our" MB dealer... (this was the Seattle MB dealer, not the Lynnwood MB Sprinter dealer)

--dick
I called Seattle, they remembered the van, but said they didn't think they could help me. Don't know if it was just a negative thinking individual, or if the dealer decided they weren't going to mess with any more 2004 sprinters.

Brian in San Antonio

Anyone know if I can order that O-Ring seal separately, or if MBZ and FCA both expect one to replace the entire charge air hose? And if orderable, what the part number is? Can't identify it from the documentation. While I'm at it, how about the O-ring that goes on the resonator?
O-Ring is not orderable. Replaced the hose with a delphi part from rockauto. Also did the resonator delete. All seems well now.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Brian: i was recommending a "dealer to dealer" call, not a customer call.

For a (distant) customer call, i'd probably recommend McCoy Freightliner in Portland, Oregon.
(at least in 2005 they were willing (and able) to provide an accurate guess as to which part failed for me, given 2 symptoms)

--dick

knockarama

This message has been writing itself in my head for the last week or so as pieces of this puzzle have been coming together and I’m reading this thread.
Summary:
If you have Freightliner or Mercedes T1N and get the recall notice, this “issue” is really a non-issue. Nothing to worry about AT ALL.
If you have a Dodge T1N, the recall is frustrating and will be until Dodge implements the FULL recall service, which Freightliner and Mercedes are already doing. But it’s not debilitating as long as you pull the instrument cluster fuse and EGR plug every time you park for more than a day.
The GDE Tune cannot and will not affect the recall.
The long story:
As a Sprinter mechanic, I see lots of Sprinters come and go, mostly T1Ns. A friend contacted me about 6 months ago wanting to buy a Sprinter and I helped him find an ‘04 Long/Tall 3500 with about 120K miles for cheap. I can’t remember why, but there was no access to the original owner, nor any documentation about the van’s previous life.
It needed some lock work and some door work and all the fluids changed, but otherwise was a solid van and he loved it. Shortly afterwards, he called me complaining that the battery kept dying. And that a dash light would stay on all night long and there was a whirring coming from under the hood even after the key was removed from the ignition.
You see where this is going…
No matter what I did, I couldn’t get the odometer light to turn off nor the egr valve from cycling constantly. Short of removing the fuses, that is. But sometimes they would turn off by themselves for no apparent reason. The guy had me install an aux battery for his living space behind the cab, so I also installed an emergency start button like RVs have and he was happy with that backup even though the problem wasnt solved. He doesnt work in the winter, so we had decided that I would replace his ignition switch in the Spring.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I saw this thread.
EUREKA!
Finally the puzzle pieces started falling into place.
Turns out the van is a Freighliner. It had the initial recall done and then was put up for sale. My friend purchased the van and the problems that people are complaining about stemming from the recall popped up.
AS FAR AS I CAN TELL, THESE ARE THE TRUE ISSUES STEMMING FROM THE RECALL:
The recall, according to the earlier posts in this thread, has to do with the monitors so that they will close easier for emissions tests. But the two unintended consequences of the recall is that the “timeout” function of the EGR and Odometer light does not usually happen. There seems to be some talk of cycling the key off and on twice on shutdown to get the one minute “timeout” clock to start, but I have not found that to be the case with the Sprinters I have seen.
The T1Ns drive exactly like any other T1N of the same age and mileage, so I cannot speak to there being any other driveability issues stemming from this initial recall.
The worst (and really, only) downside of having this recall done is a dead battery.
Mercedes, being Mercedes, has been relatively responsive to the issues caused by the recall and have since issued a 2nd recall to remedy the first. As far as I can tell, it involves a new instrument cluster and possibly another ECU reflash, although the recall letter that I have seen only mentions the instrument cluster.
Because Mercedes does warranty and recall work on Freightliners, if you have Freightliner, you are in luck and should experience none of the issues complained about here and you should have NO CONCERNS about getting this recall work done.
If you have a Dodge T1N, you might want to hold off on getting the recall work done until Dodge officially recongnizes the issues caused by the initial recall and issues a 2nd recall.
If you live in California, this may present a problem because California apparently requires all recall work completed on any vehicle being registered in the state. If you find yourself in this situation, you can argue your case with the DMV or you can get the first phase of the recall work done and live with having to unplug your egr and instrument cluster fuse every night, unless you want to risk a dead battery the next time you hop in your T1N.
In the middle of all this with my customer, we installed the GDE tune. It installed just fine and gave the normal “pep” to the engine. It did NOT, however, keep the EGR from cycling nonstop when the key was removed.
So when my customer goes to get the 2nd recall work done, we are going to uninstall the GDE tune so the dealership won’t see it.
I just called GDE and they said that the old tune programming would not work with the updated dealership ECU flash. If you have already purchased the tune from them, they will upgrade your old tune to work with the new ECU flash for $100.
I hope this is helpful to someone and if anything is incorrect, please feel free to correct me.
Hello,
Thanks for writing this. I have a Frieghtliner and Mercedes completed my recall but the California Smog Machines still cannot connect to my vehicle. Other OBDII readers are able to connect to the ECU however. Mercedes says they need to replace the ECU. I told them about what Dodge was doing and they won't listen to me. I am trying to get another independent mechanic to work on it. My local guy seems too busy and didn't jump at the opportunity to complete this task. I've worked on cars a bit, but I've never tackeled anything computer related. Is this something a home mechanic could fix. If not, is there some advice I could give another mechanic?
Thanks in advance,
Brian

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Have you tried another smog station?

Not likely for a DIY person to do. If the (different) California smog machine cannot read it, then you have no choice but to replace it per Mercedes' recommendation.

skyeg3

I got my registration renewal notice and it says I need to provide proof of correction of this recall to register my van. Not excited to drive way out of my way to have my good running van touched by a dealership. Should I be worried? Or should I just go for it.

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
I got my registration renewal notice and it says I need to provide proof of correction of this recall to register my van. Not excited to drive way out of my way to have my good running van touched by a dealership. Should I be worried? Or should I just go for it.
I would make certain that YOU and the DEALER are both up to speed on what can happen when the T21 recall is performed,....and what the usual fix is,...especially if your T1N is a 2004. If you and they are not,....don't do it until you are both up to speed.

If you haven't read this entire thread, or at least a significant amount of it. (sounds like you have not). Read it now.

Brian

Last edited:

Top Bottom