Portable generator advice

Patty&Ed

Hi from Calgary! The same question (not sure if I need to start the new thread since this one is pretty old). I am eyeballing this portable generator for occasional use when camping https://www.toolsid.com/xantrex/xpower-1-500-watt-portable-powerpack-mpn-802-1500.html and was looking for the same question. It's a pretty cool model according to the specs, but is it worth ordering from the US, and deal with brokerage fees and stuff? Thanks, Mark

This unit is not a generator, it's a rechargeable battery and inverter. Have a look at Xantrex's web site and make sure it will fit your needs. Especially run time for the anticipated loads and modified sine wave. Some electronic devices won't tolerate modified sine wave inverter output. Xantrex Powerpack 1500 data sheet

ThisisMark

Thanks for the heads-up, I am not very into electricity, but I guess I have to do better research. I don't plan on using a lot of electrical devices, just maybe charge a cell phone and lap top, connect the lights, airpump and audio.

obie

'04 long & tall passenger
As far as fuel storage in these units, or anything for that matter, I've been using Startron Stabrite for years with nothing but excellent results. As soon as I fill the can with gas, yes ethanol in it, startron goes in. From that point, I forget about it. Generators, I just turn gas off, let run til carb runs dry, then shut off. Tank, I leave alone. Most one has sat has been just shy of a year. Open fuel valve, fired up and ran just like when it was turned off. I'm convince this stuff is the best around.

Patty&Ed

Thanks for the heads-up, I am not very into electricity, but I guess I have to do better research. I don't plan on using a lot of electrical devices, just maybe charge a cell phone and lap top, connect the lights, airpump and audio.
I'm not an electrical engineer by any stretch of the imagination but here's what I see. The power pack you're interested in uses an inverter to make 110 V AC from probably a 12 V DC battery. Inverters are not terribly efficient so you've lost some power there.

Plug the output from the power pack into your shore power. A chance for more power loss when running 12 V DC devices such as your audio. You are asking the system to go from battery to inverter to shore power to charger and back to DC. It gets worse with things like cell wall chargers and laptop bricks which take all the conversions already in place and do one more. 110 V AC back to DC, fortunately those are mostly small loads.

I'm going to assume, yes I know the old joke about assuming, you are trying to avoid running the gen? I'm looking at that issue and will be considering a larger house bank and solar. Try to get the gen time down to about an hour a day run when there is lots of other noise around. The 2nd battery will tuck nicely into my house bank space. The solar will go on the roof. A stand alone generator or power pack is yet another big thing I have to find space for.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Mark,

Everything in your list is available as 12 volt accessories so ditch the expensive inverter and buy individual 12 volt accessories.

KISS Keep it Simple S......

Keith.

Top Bottom