3" straight pipe exhaust modification... initial impressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe Athouse

In my area the worst noise offenders are the city busses. They will shake the teeth out of your head. Way louder than the semi trucks or school busses, for reasons I don’t understand.

As a practical matter if the exhaust noise isn't excessive you are generally ok.

For my annual State vehicle inspection the diesel engine emissions components need to be intact for a visual inspection. A muffler isn't required to pass the inspection. Noise ordinances apply for vehicle exhaust. The OBDII port is used to check emissions status of the ECM.

The above will vary for different States and local jurisdictions.

:cheers: vic

As a practical matter if the exhaust noise isn't excessive you are generally ok.

For my annual State vehicle inspection the diesel engine emissions components need to be intact for a visual inspection. A muffler isn't required to pass the inspection. Noise ordinances apply for vehicle exhaust. The OBDII port is used to check emissions status of the ECM.

The above will vary for different States and local jurisdictions.

Only stock exhaust systems are legal in New York state.

The Laws of New York Consolidated Laws Vehicle & Traffic Title 3: Safety Responsibility; Financial Security; Equipment; Inspection; Size and Weight; and Other Provisions Article 9: Equipment of Motor Vehicles and Motorcycles

31. Mufflers and exhaust systems. Prevention of noise. Every motor vehicle, operated or driven upon the highways of the state, shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler and exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cut-out, bypass, or similar device. No person shall modify the muffler or exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor or exhaust system of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler or exhaust system originally installed on the vehicle and such original muffler and exhaust system shall comply with all the requirements of this section.

A muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates, or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine, and effective in reducing noise.

An exhaust system is a series of mechanical devices for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and expelling it into the atmosphere.

31-a. No person shall, in the state, sell, install or use a motorcycle exhaust device without internal baffles, known as "straight pipes".

31-b. No person shall, in the state, sell, install or use a motorcycle exhaust device that is intentionally designed to allow for the internal baffling to be fully or partially removed or interchangeable.
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/VAT/375

Only stock exhaust systems are legal in New York state.

I disagree with that interpretation.

By "stock" do you mean OEM factory parts? If yes, then the statement is incorrect.

Even if you interpret "stock" as equal to or similar to OEM factory, I don't interpret it that way.

The Laws of New York Consolidated Laws Vehicle & Traffic Title 3: Safety Responsibility; Financial Security; Equipment; Inspection; Size and Weight; and Other Provisions Article 9: Equipment of Motor Vehicles and Motorcycles

31. Mufflers and exhaust systems. Prevention of noise. Every motor vehicle, operated or driven upon the highways of the state, shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler and exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cut-out, bypass, or similar device. No person shall modify the muffler or exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor or exhaust system of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler or exhaust system originally installed on the vehicle and such original muffler and exhaust system shall comply with all the requirements of this section.

A muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates, or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine, and effective in reducing noise.

An exhaust system is a series of mechanical devices for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and expelling it into the atmosphere.

[The 2 statements above are a simple definition.]

31-a. No person shall, in the state, sell, install or use a motorcycle exhaust device without internal baffles, known as "straight pipes".

31-b. No person shall, in the state, sell, install or use a motorcycle exhaust device that is intentionally designed to allow for the internal baffling to be fully or partially removed or interchangeable.

Aftermarket exhaust systems are installed on vehicles in New York State all of the time. As long as the parts don't "amplify or increase[/COLOR] the noise emitted by the motor or exhaust system of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler or exhaust system originally installed on the vehicle" it is acceptable even if it is a straight pipe on Sprinter.

The last couple quotes you provide are motorcycle specific and don't apply to a Sprinter.

Just my interpretation based somewhat upon my experience living in NYS.

Your post that I was responding to, started out with "As a practical matter", and that's how I was responding to it.

You and I both know that just about any aftermarket "performance" exhaust system or "performance" type modification is going to be louder than just about any OEM exhaust system on the same vehicle.

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
A exhaust note is greatly quieted after being chopped up into little pulses by a Turbocharger.

:2cents:

Way to douche up a guy's thread. What's next? You going to get the feds to kick down GDE's door and shoot their dogs?

So much pathetic behavior on this forum. Get a life.
:idunno:

My opinion is that unless a topic is complex or relates to troubleshooting, most times any real on topic answers or information happen in first page, maybe 15 posts or so. From there on it's just fluff.

DRTDEVL got to show his modifications. They look good to me. :thumbup:

He really should start another thread in Write-ups.

Last edited:

Matt Foley

Down by The River
:idunno:

My opinion is that unless a topic is complex or relates to troubleshooting, most times any real on topic answers or information happen in first page, maybe 15 posts or so. From there on it's just fluff.

DRTDEVL got to show his modifications. They look good to me. :thumbup:

He really should start another thread in Write-ups.

My opinion is that individuals who are spending most of their time on this forum trying to act like its self-appointed sheriff, are pathetic losers who are doing more to derail threads from the topic than they are offering anything helpful.

:cheers:

Gabe Athouse

My opinion is that individuals who are spending most of their time on this forum trying to act like its self-appointed sheriff, are pathetic losers who are doing more to derail threads from the topic than they are offering anything helpful.

:cheers:
Could be worse, have you ever seen a Jeep forum? Lol.

It’s important that people remember that laws vary, as does the scope of use for our vans. And some modifications are not making the vehicle any more dangerous or annoying than the average fedex driver that beats the **** out of them on a daily basis.

Back on topic, I’d be interested to hear about any improvements in MPG or drive feel by doing this mod.

Last edited:

Gabe Athouse

It’s funny to me how some people think that buying a new car every year and keeping it in stock form somehow gets them more social environmental value points than us who are milking along an older rig and modding them to make more power, removing equipment that has to do with emissions. I think that if you looked at how much energy and emissions making a new car takes, you would see that there is no about of rolling coal that could ever match that carbon footprint.

DRTDEVL

Back on topic, I’d be interested to hear about any improvements in MPG or drive feel by doing this mod.
It will be a couple weeks before I can report this... I only have Wednesdays off. Yesterday I pulled the radiator and intercooler for replacement, and I replaced the idlers, tensioner, water pump, injection pump, alternator, belt, fan and clutch, all hoses and boost tubes, and washer reservoir. It's not fully assembled yet. Next Wednesday, I'm replacing the horn with a super loud dual horn set from an old rv, dropping in the radiator and intercooler, servicing the transmission, rotating the tires and painting the wheels silver while they are off, and installing a power inverter... along with a bunch of minor little things. I might not be done by that night, and will have to complete it the following week.

B

billintomahawk

DRTDEVL,
The exhaust on my '01 has been modified.
To be honest I didn't pay much attention. The CAT is gone, there is a small muffler and the pipe exits the vehicle in front of the rear wheel on the passenger's side.
It was 'bus like' loud but not obnoxious. If the wind is right I get diesel exhaust in the passenger's side window if it is down and the van is stopped.

The engine runs fine and I was getting 24-27 mpg on local runs(van empty).

I'll try to get some better pics of the system when I get out of the snow(I'm headed for Florida from Wisconsin in a week or so.) I'm on crutches until March 18.

That might slow me up.

bill in tomahawk

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom