No turning back now

Riptide

Nice writeup. At some point, I plan to also put in this unit...

Is this model plumbed in to your freshwater supply, or do you fill the water reservoir separately? (From the pictures, it looks like the latter option...)

Adolphus

The Thetford c402c cassette toilet model I bought has a built in separate reservoir which is filled independently from the main fresh water tank. I could have plumbed it from the main tank, but prefer it separate.

Adolphus

Thanks! I’ve located a set of shower heads that hopefully will provide a stronger stream (less nozzles and maybe less internal restriction) from iboats.com: Scandvik part number IB00288989

Pnwsquid

Thank you so much for taking to time to share this. I'd argue one of the most consistent problems westy owners deal with are the A/C and Between the Eat,drink,men,woman blog (unbelievable information as well) and your post, it seems like the solution is becoming more streamline.

FYI, here is a picture of my Generator relocation method. I used a standard driver side spare tire carrier, upside down, cut the door side mounting bracket and welded a new one on to clear the door handle. The box is just a reinforced aluminum box, with boat hull covers to allow for ventilation intake and a 500CFM 110v fan for cooling. You would be blown away at how quiet this setup is. Hard wired into the input from the previous Onan genset.

If you use an easy start module a honda eu 2200i (new version of eu200) should easily be able to power a 13.5k or 15k btu AC. (https://www.microair.net/collection...3bGAvpEAQYASABEgJ71_D_BwE&variant=30176048267)

Last edited:

Pnwsquid

Thanks! I’ve located a set of shower heads that hopefully will provide a stronger stream (less nozzles and maybe less internal restriction) from iboats.com: Scandvik part number IB00288989
I fitted a more powerful water pump that made a huge difference in pressure. the GPM might be higher, but we find we use the same amount of water as it doesn't take as long to "de-soap".

Pnwsquid

Thank you so much for taking to time to share this. I'd argue one of the most consistent problems westy owners deal with are the A/C and Between the Eat,drink,men,woman blog (unbelievable information as well) and your post, it seems like the solution is becoming more streamline.

FYI, here is a picture of my Generator relocation method. I used a standard driver side spare tire carrier, upside down, cut the door side mounting bracket and welded a new one on to clear the door handle. The box is just a reinforced aluminum box, with boat hull covers to allow for ventilation intake and a 500CFM 110v fan for cooling. You would be blown away at how quiet this setup is. Hard wired into the input from the previous Onan genset.

If you use an easy start module a honda eu 2200i (new version of eu200) should easily be able to power a 13.5k or 15k btu AC. (https://www.microair.net/collection...3bGAvpEAQYASABEgJ71_D_BwE&variant=30176048267)
The video doesn't do it justice, but the generator is essentially inaudible at about 100 feet. Especially if you are in the woods.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mckv7kRrqbayqp1ZaefP-gfxXskvRr1y/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Adolphus

Thanks! Can you provide info on the water pump you chose? I tried to access your google links but the site says I need special permission.

Pnwsquid

Thanks! Can you provide info on the water pump you chose? I tried to access your google links but the site says I need special permission.
Should work now.

Here is the pump I used: http://a.co/d/26fJ2zF

The inlet hose from the van water system actually fits inside the pump output, miraculously, rather that over the outlet like the original pump.

Adolphus

My pull out shower hose stuck again! This time it won’t happen again. I had already moved the hose clamp to give the largest curling radius, but still stuck when trying to push it back in. This time I adjusted the hoses and cut a small access hole that allows future hose jam corrections without taking off the sink (again). Also fixed a kink in the cold water supply while I was at it by using the heat gun to soften it and then made round again and wrapped it with heavy duty tape. Then chamfered the cabinet to round the inside edge so it wouldn’t compress the hose again.

Attachments

Adolphus

Generator/rack completed. The challenge had been to adjust generator height so the adjacent fiamma rack functions properly for two bikes and still have adequate room for the license plate bracket to be welded to the base of the generator rack. All’s well and enough room for all. Next task is to secure a 120V flexible cable from the transfer switch through one of the now unused original license plate light holes and weatherproof it. Trying to decide on whether to build a box around the generator for traveling or just a Sunbrella fabric cover.

Attachments

Last edited:

Riptide

I was going to suggest an Aluminess box, which are sized for the Honda generators, but I don't think the rack will clear the box when the rack has bikes on it...

They call it a Galley Box: https://www.aluminess.com/accessories/boxes/ But you could probably get something similar made locally, cheaper, that would hug the generator closer...

Adolphus

I’m leaning toward fabricating it out of lightweight plywood since I don’t need extra security beyond the lowpro lockdown plate, but if I go the box route then I’ve got to think through whether I use a fan or just keep open to airflow with doors. I seem to remember someone recommend 500 cfm however most high velocity bathroom fans only reach 150. The other option is possibly two granger 100 cfm fans that would be 36W total if that would be the ticket. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Pnwsquid

I’m leaning toward fabricating it out of lightweight plywood since I don’t need extra security beyond the lowpro lockdown plate, but if I go the box route then I’ve got to think through whether I use a fan or just keep open to airflow with doors. I seem to remember someone recommend 500 cfm however most high velocity bathroom fans only reach 150. The other option is possibly two granger 100 cfm fans that would be 36W total if that would be the ticket. Any thoughts?
Did you read my post in the 5th page? Regardless of what you do, if it's running in a box even with a fan you need to worry about the heat created from the exhaust. I'd recommend insulating and routing it separately as an exit from the box. I used waterproof boat access holes to gain entry to the top and both sides.

Adolphus

Would you please provide some pics of your box setup? I’m not sure what the boat hull covers are and would like your source for the 500cfm fan you chose. Thanks!

Adolphus

This week I focused on the brake controller project and completed threading a missing "blue wire" under the car from the rear bumper Apex Delphi 2.8 connector (new pin) to under the dash. Also completed prepping B+ power wire with a 30A auto resetting circuit breaker at the driver's seat a la autocamp's location. Of note, the circuit breaker could have been placed at the back of the seat instead of by on the side by the other seat fuses since I did not remove the front seat, but slid it all the way forward and removed the fiberboard cover to access the "B+" 12V power (after I disconnected the battery). I have been wistfully gawking at the Redarc towpro Elite brake controller since it integrates into a dash with one small push/rotate control button...but will likely use the Tekonsha P3 I already own. Once the brake controller connector arrives I'll find out if using the tap fuse for the brake signal (fuse 5 under the steering wheel) was a good idea.

Also added a green LED to my DSI water heater switch panel (with an in-line current limiting resister under the shrink tubing) since I forget to turn it off occasionally.

Attachments

Last edited:

Adolphus

The brake light tap fuse approach was a bust. It just outputs battery voltage, not brake signal when pedal pressed. I had to tap into the wire directly off the brake signal wire after all. All’s good finally after I got the pesky harness connector reattached to the brake switch.

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom