Problems with '03 Sprinter SLA ( Pawl and valve body)

quietlives

Hi,

We own an '03 model passeneger Sprinter and recently experienced a problem with the vehicle shifting out of Park with no keys in the vehicle and then rolling down a hill. It has been diagnosed as having a fault with the SLA in relation to the parking pawl/valve body and/or possibly something regarding a slipped cable.

Has enyone else ever had such a problem or heard of another Sprinter with similar issues?

Thanks in advance,

trying to live.....

quiet lives

Last edited:

chaozz

it could be the cable from tranny to the shifter out of
adjustment.

might want to take it to a good tranny shopp and just ask them to look at it.
most will check it out for not much money compared to the dealer.
who will not know as much about it as the tranny shop will

quietlives

Thanks again chaozz...I feel like I am getting a crash course in "auto shop". :professor:

Until the last few weeks I had never heard the word "tranny" and now it is destined to be a permanent part of my lingo! :bounce:

Do you think Sprinters are built with quality parking pawls and transmission cables?

QL

chaozz

Thanks again chaozz...I feel like I am getting a crash course in "auto shop". :professor:

Until the last few weeks I had never heard the word "tranny" and now it is destined to be a permanent part of my lingo! :bounce:

Do you think Sprinters are built with quality parking pawls and transmission cables?

QL
yes
its falls under one of those things.
its pretty rare..mostly i used to see it when people
did not set the hand brake and all the tension was held
by the tranny..

have a tranny shop look at it ..
i would not authorize a tear down though..
just a visual inspection to see what they say.
if they want to tear into it..then might want
to get a second opion

quietlives

What is this a picture of.:thinking: ..again...all new info for me?

Thanks for the effort...mechanics, very helpful people....I love it!:clapping:

QL

Zach Woods

Hello quietlives -

In answer to your question "Has enyone else ever had such a problem or heard of another Sprinter with similar issues?":

I have not had the problem you describe in two years of Sprinter ownership.

I also have not heard anyone else having the problem in nearly three years of watching many of the Sprinter groups, boards, forums, etc.

So I would conclude that it is not a common problem for Sprinters. I also do not believe that it is very common on most other automatic transmissions / vehicles either.

quietlives

Thanks Zach...I am glad to hear your Sprinter is not weak in this area.

You do not want to see your Sprinter rolling down a hill...not a pretty sight:cry: .

Thanks for your response:D .

quiet lives

Top Bottom