DEF Adblue Diesel Exhaust Fluid 10 Starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
It says you must scn code this to clear the code but after cleaning the ad blue injector and doing the spray test it cleared out after a 95 mile test drive
So, are you saying that you were in "n starts remaining", but that after the cleaning the countdown went away on its own? Did you clear any codes?

MobileCC

I reset the countdowns and reset adaptions with the clone China xentry with developer /no password hack 12/2016 version I could not get fluid light to reset ..it says you need to scn code ..you can instead drive for 75 miles and if the NOx Sensors read correctly ..it will clear it self
Example of good NOx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

MobileCC

Count down went from 5 to 2 starts left and then it cleared the code on my next start up ..I drove it for 65 miles or so

MobileCC

There is a reset starts function with xentry .. but the system needs to run and check itself before clearing def light code .. I believe if you online scn code you can clear the code without driving but I’m not positive on that

SSMaui

Fixer of thangs
That is correct.

You can also just reteach everything in and then go to "Test of Exhaust Aftertreatment" in Xentry to make sure it goes into test mode right away.

Tell me more about that scanner. Even though I use Xentry at work I can't always use it after hours.

MobileCC

I would like to start a new topic on understanding the German function list and writing value list ..on the 2013 642 ..there’s got to be 15 pages of values, adaptions , functions that are available ..you can set the nox sensors on a preset Value etc
The vehicle would not start ..the function that I have highlighted reset the starts so you have 5 more starts

If I had a understanding of the language you can view adapt , set value s every single sensor on that engine
This is only up to 2013 ..2014 and up this data is no longer available

Last edited:

lindenengineering

You should gripe!
As an exchange student I had to pass exams in this stuff!--Much prefer Spanish and French puts romantic twist on fixing stuff!
Dipstick German:- Messemtab--- Spanish:- Varilla. (don't forget th R roll ):laughing:
Dennis

D

Deleted member 50714

You should gripe!
As an exchange student I had to pass exams in this stuff!--Much prefer Spanish and French puts romantic twist on fixing stuff!
Dipstick German:- Messemtab--- Spanish:- Varilla. (don't forget th R roll ):laughing:
Dennis
Try Mandrian and Russian.

MobileCC

Everyone blames mercedes for the cost of repairs and the 10 start countdown ..but they didn't know that CARB but that out as a requirement..so they were just following the rules

This Sticky now has more than enough practical information to help those new to DEF Sprinters.

Feel free to take government regulations and other issues to another thread.

The Sticky is closed. Thanks goes to all who contributed up to now.

vic

Added: (With supporting quote and documentation link.)

The 10 start design was chosen by Mercedes, not ordered.

EPA Documentation.
https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=16677&flag=1

Select text.

"While EPA will not prescribe a specific driver
inducement design
necessary to meet our acceptance criteria, we believe the examples
below could satisfy our objective for driver inducement designs."

"Another way to make sure vehicle operators are adding reducing agent when appropriate
is to have vehicle performance degraded in a manner that would be safe but would be
onerous enough to discourage the user from operating the vehicle until the reducing agent
tank was refilled. The key challenge of this approach is to determine what would
constitute an acceptable performance degradation strategy. A degradation approach which maintains vehicle or engine compliance with the emissions requirements helps address this concern. Additionally, use of this approach in combination with another system could be more appropriate."

Last edited:

Some ideas for handling DEF.

Dear Beautiful Sprinter Brothers and Sisters:

I found the large, 2-1/2 gallon box with its "Water Wiggle" sprout a bit heavy and cumbersome at 20-plus pounds to hoist to the height of the Sprinter's DEF reservoir. Particularly, since I don't want to risk aggravating existing lumbar issues. After months of diligent research, I feel compelled to share what I am confident you will agree a less arduous and guaranteed "NO SPILL" method.

Purchase a genuine Mercedes-Benz, one liter bottle of DEF, a $13 dollar value (pictured), equiped with a snazzy, spring loaded sprout that screws directly to the vehicle's DEF reservoir filling receptacle. Once attached a downward push activates the spring loaded sprout initiating the filling process and once full, automatically stops. No muss no fuss! The bottle can be detached without spilling a drop.

The one liter bottle can be replenished from the larger 2-1/2 gallon box, a brand of your preference.

Enjoy,

NOx

Ps: price varies from $9.00-$19.00. So, shop around.
I hope this doesn’t get in the way of you getting a sticky but a hand bellows pump like this to pump it right out of the box. Gives great control to prevent overfilling.
Run clean water through it when you are done to prevent crystals from forming.

https://www.amazon.com/Sonline-Manu...1518350429&sr=8-3&keywords=kerosene+hand+pump
Bob,
Did you ever try the TerraCair Ultra Pure DEF?
I find the shape of the 2.5 Gallon Terra-Cair Ultra Pure DEF "kit" far easier
to use as it has the handle molded into the top of the container and the flex-spout
(if you can find it) works a lot better as well.
If you remove both the fill cap and the vent cap, it seems to flow into your DEF reservoir
in about 1/2 the time as the "boxed" DEF brands in the cardboard box packaging.
The latest kits have a vent in the spout that seems to work just as well as the vent cap.
Your local Do It Best Hardware store can order it for you "shipped to the store" to save
freight/delivery cost.
https://www.doitbest.com/products/570066?via=57c72f1d69702d410a0030f6,57c72f2869702d410a0031a5
Roger
As always clicking on the blue arrow icon within any quote box will take you to the original thread and more information.

vic

October 8, 2020 Added official information provided by Bobnoxious. :thumbup:

"MB's solution to Reset AdBlue related "No Start Countdown"?

"Drive adaptation cycles" may be the possible solution right under everyone's nose, clear codes allow OBD II do what is supposed to do, check everything out.

Owners of Sprinters needing/using DEF should skim the PDF.

nhtsa . gov information

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom