What does your wife think?

BigDC

Wondering what everyone else’s wives think about their Sprinter obsessions. My wife tolerates my constant researching and tinkering, but I know she can’t wait for me to be done with the damn thing (which will never happen). “What are you doing on your phone?” “Just PM’ing my friend on the forum”.

Am I alone?

HighPockets

BigDC, no, you are not alone. My situation is compounded by replacement seats, rolls of cloth and foam backing and bed foam in the den. I also have tables out in the carport where she thinks her car should be, especially on these cold rainy days. :smirk:

Gene

Michlb

Gotta love this site. Sprinter self-help group haha.

No, you are not alone. I was begging her for getting a Sprinter for years and she finally enthusiastically jumped on because the van provides our dog with a great home away from home. If you travel with 3 dogs and pay fortunes for hotels that accept them, you are very glad that you don’t have to rely on them any more.

You just need to find a way to make her feel somehow excited about the van. But if it’s really just you that is using the baby, then it is hard to make your wife share your enthusiasm.

In my case, she even wanted me to get a 4x4 but I chickened out because of the price. Now I feel sorry for myself for not getting one haha.

Sctn

2019 170 4x4 Crew-SMB West
“What are you doing on your phone?” “Just PM’ing my friend on the forum”.

Am I alone?[/QUOTE]

Ha! Awesome. Nope. Not alone. The best is when I’m reading something on the forum and I laugh. She just looks at me and rolls her eyes.

She digs our van though but only when we’re using it. It’s like talking to a brick wall if I bring it up in conversation or I start talking about adding something.

lindenengineering

Its a fact of life that most men like tinkering with a project.

Since the auto business is my source of wealth I am enthusiastic about it & can't leave it alone! BUT
Even after 60 odd years when I close the shop forecourt gates it stays just there!
Out of sight & out of mind!
You blokes can tinker with "cars" !

I prefer something more artsy like cooking ! Or foreign language perfection mostly these days in Spanish.
Nothing better as a mere male to be asked are you a Chef ! And answer no a Mechanic!
Or joining a group of visitors at the wonderful NY Met in the Arab/Muslim collection/display rooms and answer a question proffered to the professor/guide. Specifically to wit "What is written there in Arabic " and to be able translate it for the group. Then to be asked Are you a professor of ancient languages ?:laughing:--No simply a bus /diesel engine mechanic.:laughing:
Its good for genuine conversation other than texting (so popular these days) with interesting people from all walks of life.

Dennis
p.s. that ls why I like wandering around Mexico .
Ancient culture, wonderful people, good food & hospitality and above all lots of fun!
All life is south of the border!
Tinkering OK, but we guys need to get out and about every so often and sample life otherwise you can be a dull boy .
So whisk the missus /significant other off to say Puerto Morelos about 1 hour by taxi south of Cancun .
Hang out in the Pelican restaurant after snorkeling on the second barrier reef in the world .
Life is for living!
D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUY5Jk6Dr4Y

BigDC

Ha, sounds like I’m not alone. All in all, she likes the van and spending time in it (just not as much as me). We had a slide-in truck camper before the van, and we had a rule: the 3:1 ratio - 3 nights in the camper to 1 night in a charming B and B or fancy hotel. This rule even made it into my wedding vows and seems to work pretty well.

We now have a 2 year old who loves the van and I’m excited about the adventures we have in store.

BigDC

Gotta love this site. Sprinter self-help group haha.

You just need to find a way to make her feel somehow excited about the van. But if it’s really just you that is using the baby, then it is hard to make your wife share your enthusiasm.

Perfect advice.

Also, I’ve seen your posts on your regrets about not getting a 4x4. Make sure to get some Blizzaks or equivalent, put some weight back there, and it will do pretty well. I think 2wd with weight and tires is better than 4wd without weight and snows.

You can always throw in the towel, sell the 2wd and buy the 4. Painful, but could save you the regret. Plus, the wife wanted the 4x4 so you can make her happy. Isn’t that what this thread is all about. :rolleyes:

MTGJR1

My German 170 4X4 Crew build should be next week. My wife is excited about it and has actively been inputting to design. After the wait for the build, I hope I don't loose it in the divorce when she learns the plan is actually DIY rather than a custom house build.

MTGJR1

Correction to comment above: PNS (produced not shipped) today! Now I need to get serious about finalizing the upfit design. Still looks like Aprilish 2020 release.

JIB

Mine is excited and tolerates the obsession well. I bounce ideas off her, as she will be with me all of the time and while she does not know too much about what I am doing on the build, she asks questions and makes me think. This slows me down, but is leading to a better product.

Jack

BigDC

Mine is excited and tolerates the obsession well. I bounce ideas off her, as she will be with me all of the time and while she does not know too much about what I am doing on the build, she asks questions and makes me think. This slows me down, but is leading to a better product.

Jack
That sounds like a very healthy relationship. You guys are going to have some good adventures in the van.

Michlb

Just today, my wife called me again an idiot for not getting the 4x4. I’m trying to be good and save money, and this is what I get.

Of course she would have not talked to me for weeks if I had spent $75,000 for an EMPTY van!!!

She has now very specific opinions about the build-out. “Yes honey” is all I say.

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
My wife wants a new Sprinter - I'm leaning toward a new Ford Transit with the 2.0L twin turbo 4-cylinder diesel.

sprinterdiscovery

My wife loves going out in the van. We use it as our daily driver for shopping, weekend trips, and month long adventures.

With the Thetford toilet inside she can take a bio-break, and with the Espar heater she can be comfortable and warm doing it.

When its nap time we pull over and rest a while on our Queen sized memory foam mattress, then head home. Making it comfortable for my wife was a high priority.

We always carry food on board like peanut butter, nuts, rice cakes, canned fish, instant freeze dried Japanese coffee (Maxim brand), tea and other dried goods. Always fully stocked with 5-10 gallons of water, an Iwatani 35FW butane burner, water pump and 3-stage filter. We normally bring our two dogs with as too, they really go crazy over van trips.

We find that we spend more time talking to each other on these long vanlife trips. Not many distractions as compared to home. We also get out into nature more often and go into the mountains in BC and Washington State and go for long hikes.

I'm glad she's into it.

Last edited:

Top Bottom