Put a Fiamma 200 DJ bike rack on my 4x4.

box_trotter

I really wanted a rack that would swing the bikes away with the door, and this rack is as close as I could get. It will be nice to be able to use my hitch for other things as well.

I had to remove the door bumper and 4x4 decal to get this done.

album here http://imgur.com/a/UEemO

Batvan

Been looking for a post for the fiamma rack installed on current sprinter for months. Thanks for posting box trotter. Where did you buy the rack?

ddunaway

Cool. Like the door mount opening functionality!!! You going to put the 4x4 decal back on? Paid so much for that!!!!

Do you think the wheels sticking out the passenger side will be an issue?

hammerhome

I wonder if you could keep the base mounting hardware and put a different bike tray on that was longer to accommodate longer mtb frames?

box_trotter

@ Kauluwela: No it's not rust. There is a sticky rubberized coating around sheet metal layers, etc on the interior of the van. None of it is visible unless you start pulling panels. I am assuming that it is actually meant to prevent rust and corrosion. It looks like rust in the photo, but it's actually more yellowish.

@Batvan: I bought it on Ebay and had it shipped from the UK.

@Ddunaway: I'm not concerned with wheels sticking out ~6 or 8 inches. It's still better than dragging wind on the roof. I can slide the trays in on the rack, though. Still getting that dialed in.

@Hammerhome: The length of the trays is fine. It's the space between them that is somewhat difficult to work with. Might just have to pop off a pedal or something during transport. You could definitely swap out the trays if you wanted, but you don't have much space to work with in terms of widening the base. I haven't messed too much with adjusting it yet. It seems like if you hauled the same 2 bikes all of the time, you could probably dial it in just right. Most folks will need a step stool to reach the top tube of their bike where the strap is. I'm six feet tall and it would be a struggle if the top tube was just an inch higher.

Batvan

Thanks again, think some are available in US but they are over $500. Last question, when you take off the bump stop, do you reattach it later - what happens when not bikes are not on, think you fold the rails up,

will the rack hit the outside of the van when door is fully open?

Batvan

boxtrotter, do you mind providing me the name of the supplier in the UK and approximate price, although I live in Victoria BC, I will have it shipped to Blaine WA.

mdf

Hey Box Trotter -- I am thinking about adding the 200DJ to my rig. Question: Do you think it would work well for kids bikes with smaller wheels (eg. 20 or 24"?) I need to carry 6 bikes, and was hoping to use this in cooperation with a hitch mounted rack. Thanks!

box_trotter

Hey Box Trotter -- I am thinking about adding the 200DJ to my rig. Question: Do you think it would work well for kids bikes with smaller wheels (eg. 20 or 24"?) I need to carry 6 bikes, and was hoping to use this in cooperation with a hitch mounted rack. Thanks!
Yes, you can slide the wheel clamps in to accomodate smaller bikes, but you might have trouble getting the top tube clamps to reach.

After some tweaking, I actually got two large downhill mountainbikes onto this rack with no rubs. I cut a hole in a tennis ball and put in on the inside bar end because one of the handlebars is so wide that it will rub on the door of the van.

It's super nice being able to swing the bikes out of the way right on the door.

magikbus

Do you think the upper rail could be successfully installed a little higher than yours? I ask because I need to clear my continental-style spare tire (on the left) and it looks like the rack would need to be just a wee bit higher to do that. And I don't want to buy a $500 rack to test it out :). Thanks!

box_trotter

IDK magikbus. I left everything stock but I feel that two full sized mountainbikes can push the capacity and I also get rubs from the bars.

Mendobob

2014 144" WB 4cyl
I just received a Fiamma 200 DJ bought at http://www.everythingfiamma.co.uk/ The instructions that come with the rack are rather vague and the rear door stopper seemed to be right in the way. Thought I was sunk until I found this thread.

Once again members of the forum helped solved a situation that I ran into with my build. Thanks so much for the helpful information - this forum is awesome!

Outlookela

I went with a northshore rack - carries four bikes and can open passenger rear door when only have two bikes loaded and the driver rear most of the way. With bikes off both doors open fine. Or if tilt the rack down with bikes on both doors open fine. I extended the hitch tube by 8" to accomplish this. I was tempted greatly by the Fiamma, but didn't think I could get one and I think I am glad that I did not. Perhaps in the future if I go down to a single daily driver, Ill look into the fiama, currently use my prius for round town and the van for trips.

After a three week mountain bike trip I am very happy with the set up. It makes the van pretty long - but if you are on a camping and mountain biking dedicated mission it was very sweet. For day to day driving and local biking I take it off and use my prius for hauling bikes locally.

Vanzer Pagen

Yes, you can slide the wheel clamps in to accomodate smaller bikes, but you might have trouble getting the top tube clamps to reach.

After some tweaking, I actually got two large downhill mountainbikes onto this rack with no rubs. I cut a hole in a tennis ball and put in on the inside bar end because one of the handlebars is so wide that it will rub on the door of the van.

It's super nice being able to swing the bikes out of the way right on the door.
How wide are the bars on your DH bikes? I ask because we've got 2 SC Bronson's with 760 width bars. I'm hoping they will fit. Don't even want to consider hitch mounted types even though we use One Up's on our Outback.
Thanks!

Plantador

Has anyone had further insights on these fiamma racks-mounted to the 4x4? Does it restrict the access to the rear door handle when you’ve a bike strapped in? It seems like the closest thing I can find to suit what I’m after, just really hesitant to start drilling more holes in my van..
Thankeee!

chris02

Door handle is fine.. Just be careful not to clobber yourself when closing and forgetting that bike is attached. It hurts.

Attachments

Top Bottom