They're Watching Us

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
On my last car, if I didn't agree to sharing my car's data, then the smartphone app that let me remote start, turn on the heat, etc would not function. I suspect manufacturers will continue to disable features unless you agree to share your information.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Some cars reportedly have a 300GB hard drive to save your data before they harvest it
From an engineering point of view, a 300 GB hard drive would be a very stupid choice.

Far better to use 256 GB FlashRam drives: they don't need to spin up to record data, they're not bothered by the G-forces of road vibrations or a crash, they're less temperature sensitive, etc etc etc

--dick

Last edited:

glasseye

From an engineering point of view, a 300 GB hard drive would be a very stupid choice.

Far better to use 256 GB FlashRam drives: they don't need to spin up to record data, they're not bothered by the G-forces of road vibrations or a crash, they're less temperature sensitive, etc etc etc

--dick
That was my reaction, too. Probably a journalist's error.

I saw a 128GB USB flash drive for $30 the other day. OMG. :idunno:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
On the flip side of this is the full time recording like Tesla uses. Next time someone runs you off the road, or a cop tickets you falsely, you have video and GPS logs. Or someone keys your car, sideswipes it, etc.

Much of the logging will likely be used for benign purposes. Like figuring out which features get the most usage, tracking the incidents of certain reliability of safety faults, etc.

In the case of Telsa, they used about 100,000 hours of of real world rain driving to train their automatic wiper neural network. So instead of needing an expensive rain detection sensor, they can integrate a essentially free piece of software into every vehicle they sell.

Last edited:

Top Bottom