Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Regional Discussions > Canada

Old 11-11-2009, 04:37 AM   #1
ironman69

Default Oil and Fuel FIlter (and oil) - where do you buy for cheap in Canada?

I have a 2008 3500 and have done 3 oil/fuel filter changes. I work for Fountain Tire and get a decent wholesale price from the dealer for the filters but the two filter still cost $170 for both. I have heard there may be aftermarket ones but am really concerned about warranty issues and would rather use the "official" part. Should I buy them across the line? Are they that much cheaper? Where should I buy them?
Also where do you get your 0W40 Mobile 1 Synthetic for cheap? I am paying a wholesale cost of 10$ per liter.

Thanx again for the info

Sean

PS I live just outside Vancouver BC, close to the Bellingham WA border.
ironman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:04 AM   #2
djc126

Default RE: Oil and Fuel FIlter (and oil) for NCV3 - where do you buy for cheap in Canada?

Hi Sean.
The Mobil1 you're using is not the right oil for the NCV3.

You can buy the Valvoline Synpower 5W40 MST at NAPA for $9.49/liter.
Otherwise, the MB dealer will have the Mobil1 5W40 ESP for about $13/liter.
I saw a Shell Rotella 5W40 synthetic 4L jug at Cdn Tire (might have to search for it) for $30 (has the MB approval no. on it). There doesn't seem to be a 0W40 oil with low enough ash content to get the MB approval.

Look at the Berry Sprinter (TX) website for an idea of pricing from a wholesale dealer:
www.sprinterparts.net - they are showing $72each for fuel filter

I've been dealing with a couple wholesale Sprinter dealers in the USA NE and they're willing to send via the post office instead of UPS.

You can also take a look at the Balwin Filters catalog:
http://www.baldwinfilter.com/

An industrial type shop can order them in. I bought a bunch for my 02 cheap.

Regards,
djc126 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djc126 For This Useful Post:
machine4you2020 (10-03-2013)
Old 11-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
ironman69

Default Re: Oil and Fuel FIlter (and oil) - where do you buy for cheap in Canada?

The mobile 1 that I am using is one of the oils listed in the owners manual as acceptable. As well the dealership recommends it. I have even bought the oil from the dealership direct. Thanx for the info. Those prices you mention seem to be around the same price as the oil I am using. I guess there is no "super cheap" oil ;)
Old 11-11-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
jdcaples
Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Thanked 3,608 Times in 1,934 Posts
Default Re: Oil and Fuel FIlter (and oil) - where do you buy for cheap in Canada?

Mobil1-0w40.jpg

Oil.jpg

Do you have a gasoline (petrol) engine?

-Jon

US Tech info: http://www.sprintertekinfo.com
US Parts info: http://epc.startekinfo.com (Subscribe to world passenger car and light transport)

Americans may learn to use MB technical resources and parts information here:
http://www.sprintertekinfo.com/epcdemo/start.swf

Last edited by jdcaples; 11-11-2009 at 11:34 PM.
jdcaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
ironman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcaples View Post
Attachment 18611

Attachment 18610

Do you have a gasoline (petrol) engine?

-Jon
I have a diesel engine
Old 11-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #6
jdcaples
Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Thanked 3,608 Times in 1,934 Posts

If you're using Mobile 1 0w-40 - MB 229.3 and MB 229.5 specification - you're using an oil meant for the gasoline engine according to the Daimler engineering team that published those guidelines.

The concensus is: you're putting your diesel EGR valve, EGR cooler,, EGR cooler temp sensor and DPF at risk for premature fouling, a shorter than expected life span.

Without a study, w/o quantitative measurements - and a research fund - the concensus can't be independently confirmed.

Most of us just stick to MB 229.51 oils.

What will you do?

-Jon

US Tech info: http://www.sprintertekinfo.com
US Parts info: http://epc.startekinfo.com (Subscribe to world passenger car and light transport)

Americans may learn to use MB technical resources and parts information here:
http://www.sprintertekinfo.com/epcdemo/start.swf

Last edited by jdcaples; 11-11-2009 at 11:55 PM.
jdcaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:03 AM   #7
ironman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcaples View Post
If you're using Mobile 1 0w-40 - MB 229.3 and MB 229.5 specification - you're using an oil meant for the gasoline engine according to the Daimler engineering team that published those guidelines.

The concensus is: you're putting your diesel EGR valve, EGR cooler,, EGR cooler temp sensor and DPF at risk for premature fouling, a shorter than expected life span.

Without a study, w/o quantitative measurements - and a research fund - the concensus can't be independently confirmed.

Most of us just stick to MB 229.51 oils.

What will you do?

-Jon
Well I have reviewed the info you gave me and I will be speaking to the dealer tomorrow. To me what you have said makes complete sense. And I reread the specs in the owners manual and it says the same thing you are saying.
On a side not, I have already had my EGR valve and EGR cooler replaced (under warranty) and have asked the dealership sprinter mechanic if there is anything I can do to reduce this problem and has said Chrysler has given no suggestions. Well how about "recommending the correct FRICKEN oil" to your customers.
I am certain that the 0W40 Mobil 1 is the oil the dealership uses when they change a sprinters oil.
So to me this is a serious issue that I am glad I figured out before my warranty has expired.

THANK YOU
The Following User Says Thank You to ironman69 For This Useful Post:
jdcaples (11-12-2009)
Old 11-12-2009, 12:09 AM   #8
ironman69

Default Re: Oil and Fuel FIlter (and oil) for NCV3 - where do you buy for cheap in Canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc126 View Post
Hi Sean.
The Mobil1 you're using is not the right oil for the NCV3.

You can buy the Valvoline Synpower 5W40 MST at NAPA for $9.49/liter.
Otherwise, the MB dealer will have the Mobil1 5W40 ESP for about $13/liter.
I saw a Shell Rotella 5W40 synthetic 4L jug at Cdn Tire (might have to search for it) for $30 (has the MB approval no. on it). There doesn't seem to be a 0W40 oil with low enough ash content to get the MB approval.

Look at the Berry Sprinter (TX) website for an idea of pricing from a wholesale dealer:
www.sprinterparts.net - they are showing $72each for fuel filter

I've been dealing with a couple wholesale Sprinter dealers in the USA NE and they're willing to send via the post office instead of UPS.

You can also take a look at the Balwin Filters catalog:
http://www.baldwinfilter.com/

An industrial type shop can order them in. I bought a bunch for my 02 cheap.

Regards,

Sprinterparts.net seems to be down. Or is that the correct address?
Old 11-12-2009, 01:10 AM   #9
ironman69

OK So I just changed my oil last week with the Mobil 1 0W40. Should I dump it and put in the appropriate oil? Or is it OK to wait for 16000km? If I shouldn't wait, should I change the oil filter again as well?
I am wishing I found this info out 2 weeks ago :)
Old 11-12-2009, 02:13 AM   #10
rvdriverca

IRONMAN. here is where I get all my filters and parts. http://store.europarts-sd.com/ I have it shipped to "ship happens" in Sumas, WA. I get Shell rotella oil 5w-40 at auto zone or Schucks(? spelling )auto parts for $19.99 us a gallon. for my 2006 all the filters about $60 and 3 gallons of oil $60 so my total cost = $120 us + $4.00 for ship happen and I have 2 qt of oil spare to add at a latter date. PM you Phone # if you like. I'm near Chilliwack.
rvdriverca is offline   Reply With Quote