Brighter headlights?

NobleOne

Learning Curve Climber
Thanks for the descriptions. Mine has a few variances from “normal.” But at least they are “normal” when I drive. That is the most important point.

Now that your headlights are working, if you want more light, just get a Black Oak 6" LED bar. I have mine mounted in the center in between the headlights and it turns night into day. Doesn't seem to bother other drivers, no one flashes me, unless I pull to close in to a bush and change the angle of the beam. For offroading/country driving I can angle the beam up higher so it's like a super-high beam. Also helps in the fog as it's mounted lower.
That's fine for off-road use, but it's not legal, and may not be safe, for use on public roads.

Staying with the T1N section that this thread is in...

The T1N DRL's are completely functional as to low beam headlamps and exterior running lamps including the license plate lamps (DRL relays). The ATC, console, etc. backlights aren't on until the stalk switch activates the lights. The instrument cluster lamps are fully functional with DRL's. Hi beams will not work during DRL only lights operation except for the stalk quick flash.

The T1N DRL's use the low beam lamps. You lose the DRL headlamp when the low beam H7 lamp fails.

I find my H7 55 watt lamp service life on both the 2004 and 2006 to be normal when compared to other vehicles. I'm convinced that there was a bad batch of MB OEM lamps that plagued T1N's for time.

The T1N's without DRL power the headlamps directly through the stalk switch. The DRL headlamps use relays. I notice that the 2004 headlamps get slightly brighter when I rotate the stalk switch to on. It could be the result of parallel current paths, or possibly a shorter wire run through the stalk switch.

:cheers: vic
Understood, Vic. Thanks.

He was talking about a Toyota Tacoma.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
That's fine for off-road use, but it's not legal, and may not be safe, for use on public roads.
Laws and regulations vary by jurisdiction. Check your locale...

If the lamp is mounted near the ground (between or below the headlamps), has a focused beam, and is aimed so it hits the ground within a prescribed distance, it’s often highway legal.

Anything mounted above the headlamp level or that has a flood beam is usually illegal - “for off-road use only”.

-dave

Laws and regulations vary by jurisdiction. Check your locale...
He lives in Oregon, and I did check. ORS (Oregon Revised Statutes) Chapter 816 says it's not legal. That's why I said what I said.

I also called John at Black Oak, and he confirmed that they're not DOT-approved and they are not legal for use on public roads in the U.S..

So where is it that you think an off-road light bar like that would be legal to use on public roads?

Last edited:
Most of the time, when someone has a problem with their headlights not illuminating the road well enough, it's because they have plastic headlight lenses that have become sun-hazed, allowing less light (sometimes almost NO light) to escape the headlight lens. Any light that does escape a sun-hazed lens is diffused, putting much of that remaining light into the eyes of other motorists, and putting very little useful light focused on the roadway. I see it all the time.

This problem tends to get worse and worse over time, with more and more exposure to sun.

Since this question is posted in the T1N section, since T1N vans are tall enough that they probably aren't being protected from the sun by being parked/stored inside, and since T1N vans are now 13 to 25 years old, I suspect that a new pair of headlight housings (aimed correctly) would probably benefit most of these vans. Other motorists that you share the road with would probably appreciate you getting your lights fixed too.

Lesson learned, also from other recent posts:
Headlights burn out in pairs, and must be replaced in pairs.
(note: headlights refer to BULBS, not the housing as some have thought)
No. Headlight bulbs do not burn out in pairs. What usually happens, is that one headlight bulb burns out, but the vehicle operator doesn't realize it, so they continue driving the vehicle for quite some time, until the OTHER headlight burns out.

At that point, many of them will notice. I have, however, encountered a number of people driving around in the dark with no headlights on, and they STILL don't notice. Scary... :wtf:

SneakyAnarchistVanCamper

Reading till my eyesbleed
DOT does not "Approve" or certify auxiliary driving lights afaik. I have their spot beam model, mounted below the headlights.

https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/816.060

1) As used in this section, “auxiliary lights” means low beam auxiliary lights. (2) When auxiliary lights are used in combination with headlights, the combination of lights shall be arranged on the vehicle so that the selection between distributions of light projected to different elevations may be selected by the driver at will or so that the selection can be made automatically.
(3) Auxiliary lights shall be wired in accordance with rules adopted by the Department of Transportation.
(4) Auxiliary lights shall be mounted, adjusted and aimed in accordance with rules adopted by the department.
(5) Auxiliary lights mounted on a vehicle for highway use shall be mounted at a height of 54 inches or less above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands. Auxiliary lights mounted higher than 54 inches are subject to any limitation on use under ORS 811.515 (When lights must be displayed) and 811.520 (Unlawful use or failure to use lights).
(6) Auxiliary lights and any part for such light that tends to change the original design or performance must be of a type that complies with standards adopted by the department under ORS 816.010 (Authority to adopt and enforce standards for lighting equipment).
(7) Auxiliary lights shall show a white light forward. [1983 c.338 §458 (3); 1985 c.16 §240 (3); 1985 c.69 §1 (3); 1985 c.71 §4 (3); 1985 c.393 §13 (3); 1985 c.420 §6 (3); 2003 c.158 §21]

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
No. Headlight bulbs do not burn out in pairs. What usually happens, is that one headlight bulb burns out, but the vehicle operator doesn't realize it, so they continue driving the vehicle for quite some time, until the OTHER headlight burns out.

At that point, many of them will notice. I have, however, encountered a number of people driving around in the dark with no headlights on, and they STILL don't notice. Scary... :wtf:
They don’t burn out in pairs but it often feels like it, as with a matched set, installed at the same time, first one blows and then usually the other blows within a few day/weeks. This is simply because for given conditions a bulb last x long, so it’s sister bulb will last x+? long and ? is usually a short enough period that you light a small well buy 2 bulbs.

westyventures

In the Oregon Outback
I installed Euro-code headlights from Depo. These are replicas but are amazing compared to the stock lights. The seller was 'fishcake321' on eBay. I see today on eBay there is a used pair in nice condition from a recycler in Idaho for $66 each.

Last edited:

kansascitysprinters

t1n everything
I second the DEPO headlight suggestion. I have them in my van with built in fogs relayed to come on with running lights. I like the clear look, having 6 bulbs in them makes deer infested mountain passes light up.

I also have upped the wattage and staged my bulbs. I've never had issues with heat and wiring melting/fuses popping.

Don't be a jerk, aim your headlights correctly. We've all had that lifted pickup truck blast us with his "fog" lights. I've never been flashed for blinding someone (except for the occasional oops with the brights). I specifically aimed my left beam lower than my right one as well, so it's not resting on peoples faces in their cars.

Last edited:

Top Bottom