Is my transmission toast?

Hsbc05

I have a 2005 2500 sprinter. 345k. Since I have owned it, 300k, it has slipped very easy out of 2nd before shifting into 3rd. Over the last few weeks, I have had some goofy stuff happen with what seems is transmission related, but I’ve been pretty busy, so haven’t taken the time to try to figure it out, but now it’s broken down and now I have to.

The current issue is that it seems to start in second gear and won’t shift. It won’t shift manually and then it seems to slip out of gear completely. I have to turn the ingintion off and on several times before restarting, and then repeat. From cold start, I got about 2 miles before I had to restart. After this, I might get about a 1/4 mile before pulling over and trying again. I do have an engine light on, but it was for camshaft positioning sensor. I assume there are more codes now, but I don’t have a reader, and have been able to get it to a shop yet. One thing I should mention is that there is a whine while driving in what I assume is second. Any places I should start, or do I need to get codes read before you can give much advise?

Does the transmission fluid smell burnt?

It sounds like the transmission is going into LHM. You really need a Sprinter specific scan tool to access the TCM to read DTC's aka codes or reset a locked in LHM condition.

Depending upon the DTC's/problems found, a transmission service TC/pan drain/filter/MB approved fluid fill may restore operation. My opinion is that anything over 60,000 miles on a transmission service is pushing prudent maintenance.

vic

Hsbc05

Thanks. I don’t have the dipstick in mine. How do you check fluid without that? I had help pulling it to my house, but only stopped at autozone and had them pull codes. I know not as good as dealer, but all I could accomplish today. Here is a list of codes it read:
Po341
Po715
Po336
Po715
Po730

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
If you want to enjoy a Sprinter you will need a scanner that can clear TCM codes etc, a trans dipstick (none of them,came with a dipstick, order one online) and do your PM with quality parts.
Until you have serviced the trans won’t know if the trans is toast. New fluid and filter (maybe clean the contact panel and solenoid valves) clear the codes and see (unless you drop the pan and it is full of broken gears in which case it probably is toast).

Last edited:

Hsbc05

Okay, I got the service done, but still in lhm. I took to mechanic that has worked on this in the past and asked them to preprogramme the trans and reset codes. They tried to hook it up, but couldn’t communicate with the trans to do anything. Ideas?

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Okay, I got the service done, but still in lhm. I took to mechanic that has worked on this in the past and asked them to preprogramme the trans and reset codes. They tried to hook it up, but couldn’t communicate with the trans to do anything. Ideas?
As previously, get a scanner that can communicate with the transmission module or find a mechanic who has the scanner that will communicate with the transmission module. I’m surprised your mechanic could not communicate with the module, check the connector at the transmission for oil infiltration (but that should have showed up during the oil and filter change of the transmission).

There are a bunch of LHM that require a scanner to be cleared, even if the problem was fixed.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Can someone recommend a scanner?
I’ve got an Autel MD-802 “All Systems” version.
(avoid the “4 Systems” version)

The challenge for the scanner is that the T1N’s OBD plug has seven K-Line pins with different modules on each one. None of this is standardized, so the scanner needs to be told which pin to communicate on, and the physical address to connect with, both of which are proprietary and model specific. A simple OBDII engine scanner relies on the mandated emissions monitoring channel into the engine module, and isn’t programmed to be able to locate and communicate with the TCM (or ABS, SRS, IC, ATC, ...)

-dave

bored

Is this the right one?

It is half the price of anyone and it DOES say Full Systems so I want to jump on while I can.

Here

Thanks in advance...

I’ve got an Autel MD-802 “All Systems” version.
(avoid the “4 Systems” version)

The challenge for the scanner is that the T1N’s OBD plug has seven K-Line pins with different modules on each one. None of this is standardized, so the scanner needs to be told which pin to communicate on, and the physical address to connect with, both of which are proprietary and model specific. A simple OBDII engine scanner relies on the mandated emissions monitoring channel into the engine module, and isn’t programmed to be able to locate and communicate with the TCM (or ABS, SRS, IC, ATC, ...)

-dave

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
That is a weird ad with a possibly misleading copy. The “DIY version of a full diagnostic “ seems off. The “ Autel MD802 MaxiDiag Elite Full System”is the one in this link

https://www.amazon.ca/MaxiDiag-MD80...ocphy=9061024&hvtargid=pla-379616541528&psc=1

The one you linked to does not have the correct model numbers associated with it. Autel makes scanners from 19$ to 1900$+ . The one you posted is also too inexpensive....I think the best I ever heard was a round 129$ and that was awhile ago.

bored

Thanks!

That is a weird ad with a possibly misleading copy. The “DIY version of a full diagnostic “ seems off. The “ Autel MD802 MaxiDiag Elite Full System”is the one in this link

https://www.amazon.ca/MaxiDiag-MD80...ocphy=9061024&hvtargid=pla-379616541528&psc=1

The one you linked to does not have the correct model numbers associated with it. Autel makes scanners from 19$ to 1900$+ . The one you posted is also too inexpensive....I think the best I ever heard was a round 129$ and that was awhile ago.

kansascitysprinters

t1n everything
Dropping the pan is often a good way to check the health of whats going on in there. Code reader is a must for helpful diagnosing tranny stuff. I have the MD808 All systems version. iCarsoft is another one guys seem to like.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Is this the right one?

It is half the price of anyone and it DOES say Full Systems so I want to jump on while I can.

Thanks in advance...
This has come up before on the forum!

Yes it is a full 'All Systems' that should read all of the modules on your Sprinter, ie it is NOT the basic 4 Systems.

BUT and it is a very big BUT, it will only work with ONE MODEL!

The first time you use it you have to select which model you want to use it for and it is then locked to that model. For a few dollars more I would recommend the FULL ALL SYSTEMS that will then work on pretty much any car with an OBD socket!

Keith.

Patrick of M

2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)
Pay the extra 10$ and get the one upper left in your link.
The 802 is a known and proven scanner for the Sprinter, your results may vary with other Autel models. Autel is pretty ignorant of what their scanners can do, one help desk tech insisted to me that the 802 would not scan my Sprinter! I had to school him and find it in the applications list for him, so the best bet is keep it simple and go with the known quantity.

Last edited:

Top Bottom