Replacement Bed - Thor Siesta 24SA

kylecm

Good morning,

I have the Thor Siesta 24SA which means it has the radial cut full long bed made by Denver Mattress just for Thor. Has anyone looked to replace the mattress? It is not as simple as just getting the correct length and width, it has a radial cut.

I have looked at a few different custom RV Mattress companies. I have found the price to range from $500 to $1000. Most will give you a 30-day sleep warranty, however, you have to ship it back to them. Which means it is about a $350. I guess that is not really a risk-free warranty.

Has anyone with a 24SA replaced their mattress? If so, from whom and do you like it?

Thanks

Chuck

OkieNAz

Randy
Chuck, we have been through several configurations of our corner bed in our THOR 24 SA.

We did not like the mattress that came with the RV.

We purchased a 3-4" thick foam mattress that was touted has having a "cool" liner. (What ever that "green" coating was, it was cooler than the rest of the mattress.) I had to cut the foam mattress so that it would fit properly into the corner bed area. (I think we bought that mattress at SAM's club.)

That mattress, by itself was to thin. So we bought a little stiffer foam mattress and placed it under the first mattress. That worked pretty well until the "green" material started splitting. After a while, that first mattress just came apart.

So we purchased another foam mattress and replace the first one. Sorry, I don't remember what the mattress was called. But this later mattress is soft enough that when I crawl into bed, my wife does not even know I have crawled in or out of bed.

We recently put the factory supplied mattress back into the RV and place the latest foam mattress on top of it. That is working out very well.

No matter what mattress configuration that we have used, it's still a pain in the neck to make the bed. (BUT, we sure do like having that extra storage under the bed.)

That's just one of the trade offs - corner bed that's tough to be made up or have less storage.

kylecm

Chuck, we have been through several configurations of our corner bed in our THOR 24 SA.

We did not like the mattress that came with the RV.

We purchased a 3-4" thick foam mattress that was touted has having a "cool" liner. (What ever that "green" coating was, it was cooler than the rest of the mattress.) I had to cut the foam mattress so that it would fit properly into the corner bed area. (I think we bought that mattress at SAM's club.)

That mattress, by itself was to thin. So we bought a little stiffer foam mattress and placed it under the first mattress. That worked pretty well until the "green" material started splitting. After a while, that first mattress just came apart.

So we purchased another foam mattress and replace the first one. Sorry, I don't remember what the mattress was called. But this later mattress is soft enough that when I crawl into bed, my wife does not even know I have crawled in or out of bed.

We recently put the factory supplied mattress back into the RV and place the latest foam mattress on top of it. That is working out very well.

No matter what mattress configuration that we have used, it's still a pain in the neck to make the bed. (BUT, we sure do like having that extra storage under the bed.)

That's just one of the trade offs - corner bed that's tough to be made up or have less storage.

Okay took the advice of a mattress topper. I will add a new post with pictures. Thanks for the advice.

Chuck

kylecm

I went to Costco and found a 3 inch Memory Foam Topper for $159. I went with the Tempur-Pedic Serenity. Costco had several different brands for the same price. I just picked one.

From there, I pulled the old mattress, made a template, and cut the new one.

I used an electric knife to cut the new one. Just a point of advice, if you go this route, once you start cutting try to do the whole mattress without stopping. If you stop you will not get a clean cut when you restart. Only you will know but if you are a perfectionist like me, it is annoying.

Here is the link for the photos.

Thanks

Chuck

OzarkColvin

We just purchased a memory foam pad from Walmart and cut the curve with an electric knife works great. We did not replace the old we added it to it.

Top Bottom