Replace Glow Plug Module with 5 fuse modified GP module

wakeslasher

The fuse does not blow when the glow plugs are unplugged. My first ohm reading did not account for the error in my multi meter. After subtracting the error it would seem that all of my glowplugs have failed to ground (0 OHM). Is that plausible?

sikwan

06 Tin Can
1 or 2, but all 5 plugs?

It's plausible, but I would get another measurement with another meter if possible.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Or use Dr A's test method with a 20 A fuse and a length of wire...

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=160010

That is not the easiest or most accurate test for open glow plugs.

See my old original post for making a simple fused glow plug test wire.

Connect to each glow plug pin socket in the engine harness connector at the glow module, one at a time. Simply brush the clip you would normally clamp to the battery + post, across the + post, for each glow plug pin test.

Pins are numbered on back side of plug with an accurate glow plug location.

A strong, harsh spark (if you're quick) or a blown fuse (if you're slow) indicates a failed shorted plug.

A gentle brush of sparks ,and no blow 20A fuse in 10 second, indicates a operating glow plug.

NO sparking indicates a open circuit glow plug.

Easy to see in strong daylight.

Doktor A
Keith.

drew502

Assuming there was one bad glow plug that has been properly replaced, should replacing the glow plug module with the newest version make the CEL light go out if those were the only two codes?

outbound

06/2500/140
Assuming there was one bad glow plug that has been properly replaced, should replacing the glow plug module with the newest version make the CEL light go out if those were the only two codes?

theoretically, yes... after a few completed drive cycles, but best bet would be to use a scanner,
clear the codes and giver a go.
can also check the amp draw with a clamp meter on the GP wire that feeds the relay off the batt POS
terminal - if they are all lighting up, you'll see appx 100a for the first couple secs.
:2cents:

drew502

Postlogue - After replacing my glow plug module and approximately a dozen drive cycles, the CEL was still lit. I had Autozone plug in their generic code reader and pull the code [P0380]. After disconnecting the code reader, no more CEL.

drew502

Postlogue - After replacing my glow plug module and approximately a dozen drive cycles, the CEL was still lit. I had Autozone plug in their generic code reader and pull the code [P0380]. After disconnecting the code reader, no more CEL.
The CEL came back on the other day and I had Auto Zone hook up their generic code reader and the P0380 code has reappeared. After disconnecting the code reader CEL is gone again. As I indicated earlier in the the thread, I replaced the Glow Plug Relay module with the newer non-fused model. There are not any other codes and the Sprinter is in Florida with moderate temps- so I'm curious why the P0380 code reappeared. Any thoughts?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I am not seeing P0380 in the T1N fault guide. Which means that is a generic interpretation by the scanner. Sprinters are not entirely OBDII compliant. So a generic OBDII scanner will report generic code numbers. However a sprinter specific scanner will likely report a different code (and subcode). Its likely that the code will still be glow plug related, but without the sprinter specific interpretation, I cannot help further.

drew502

The P0380 code initially appeared in combination with code P0671 [Cylinder 1 Glow Plug Circuit] when I had a bad glow plug. Dr. A identified and replaced the bad glow plug and then I replaced the Glow Plug Relay Module. I'm wondering if either the the Glow Plug Relay Module is faulty? This seem unlikely b/c the CEL only came back on after a couple of weeks and is now out again after the generic code reader was attached. Or, if the fault codes have not been fully cleared by the generic scanner and/or start cycles?

I note the following from this thread: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5369
P0380 Glow Plug Circuit Perf
P0380 Intake Air Heater Relay No. 1 Control Circuit or

SprinterLex

2006 T1N 3500 Long & Tall
Just thought I would add some info on the bottom of this forum for future readers who stumble across this.

- The newer MB glow plug control module (Version 3) has self-resetting breakers so you could get that instead of this mod
- Million-mile sprinter and Europarts both sell the newer version

For Canadians
- A good MB Dealership was asking about $450 dollars for the part
- Rockauto only had an SMP glow plug control module. It took a while to research but the SMP RY1528 is based on one of the first 2 versions, so expect no self-resetting breakers if you buy the SMP aftermarket Glow plug control module.

I ended up buying million-miles glow plugs & Glow plug control module package and getting it shipped over. I think it will cost me about 340ish after all is said and done. Cheaper than the dealership for sure plus I get 5 glow plugs. I would not trust any aftermarket part for this since I believe it's highly likely to be based on the first 2 versions just like SMP was. I could be wrong but I already spent a lot of time researching and it's time to move forward.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

SprinterLex

2006 T1N 3500 Long & Tall
256.99 USD = 178.99 + 78 shipping
334.44 Cad = 256.99 USD

I'm waiting to see if there is an extra border tax added on top of that for the car parts. I think it's 5% for parts MADE in America or 13%ish for made outside... Idk for sure.

Buying from Million-mile-sprinter process

- You have to first buy it and put your address in the notes before you even know the shipping.
- Right after I bought the part I email them asking what the shipping would be. (I put receipt # in the email message so he knows what I was talking about). Perhaps they would of messaged me if I didn't message them right away?.... idk.
- Then they sent me the price quote for shipping.
- I message to them back agreeing to the price and asked how they would like me to send them the money.
- they messaged me to do it with their PayPal account and gave me the email address for it.

Each message back and forth was sent within 24 hours so it took more than one day to get it all done. They did mention, "We're working to try and get a comprehensive range of Canada shipping prices so this won't be an issue in the future." As some of us Canadians know on this forum, buying parts is a bit of a pain in the butt for our beloved t1ns. I'm happy million-mile-sprinter is trying to help in whatever way they can. Also excited it may become easier in the future.

Top Bottom