Installing Bench seats in Cargo Van

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
Just finished one of my projects. I got the basic info here, but I have pictures. Here's how I installed a bench seat.
First off I picked up a 2x seat for free, all I had to buy was the rails that go in the floor.
I cut out the floor following the pattern from the small holes drilled in the floor. I was careful to only go down 3/8 of an inch or so. Half of what the wood floor looks like when you see it on edge at the side door.

I found that this was too small. I needed another 3/8" wider and longer holes. That's when my cuts got a bit wild. The flooring is quite hard, so use a good blade on your saw.

Then came the question of how to position each bracket correctly. I finally stood on the center one and it pretty much went into it's slot. I marked the holes and drilled through. Then I mounted the center bracket. I placed the end bracket on the seat and then attached the seat to the center bracket. I used a square to make sure the seat was lined up right and marked the front hole since it was visible.

So I got the left two holes drilled in and realized what the other discussions were about. I dropped the tank and looked at the issue. I didn't want to drill big holes in the frame. I tried Jack Nuts. This didn't work. The nuts pulled right out.
Finally, I decided to have nuts welded in place. I drilled the holes out for both brackets to 1/2" and used T Nuts. The welding job was great and I now have my seat installed. Plus, this way I can just unscrew the brackets to remove them if I want to.

Attachments

copeland88

Just finished one of my projects. I got the basic info here, but I have pictures. Here's how I installed a bench seat.
First off I picked up a 2x seat for free, all I had to buy was the rails that go in the floor.
I cut out the floor following the pattern from the small holes drilled in the floor. I was careful to only go down 3/8 of an inch or so. Half of what the wood floor looks like when you see it on edge at the side door.

I found that this was too small. I needed another 3/8" wider and longer holes. That's when my cuts got a bit wild. The flooring is quite hard, so use a good blade on your saw.

Then came the question of how to position each bracket correctly. I finally stood on the center one and it pretty much went into it's slot. I marked the holes and drilled through. Then I mounted the center bracket. I placed the end bracket on the seat and then attached the seat to the center bracket. I used a square to make sure the seat was lined up right and marked the front hole since it was visible.

So I got the left two holes drilled in and realized what the other discussions were about. I dropped the tank and looked at the issue. I didn't want to drill big holes in the frame. I tried Jack Nuts. This didn't work. The nuts pulled right out.
Finally, I decided to have nuts welded in place. I drilled the holes out for both brackets to 1/2" and used T Nuts. The welding job was great and I now have my seat installed. Plus, this way I can just unscrew the brackets to remove them if I want to.
Hey this might be a long shot on an old thread, but I’m doing something similar. I have a 2 person bench I’m installing in my 06 Sprinter. I’ve located the shorter of the two floor brackets, but having a hell of a time finding the longer one. Do you happen to remember where you got it, and by chance have the part number?

Top Bottom