T1N Cat Mufflers Secondary Mkt

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
DEC sells Catalytic Converter mufflers for T1N Sprinters.
Website with a catalog here: http://www.deccats.com/

Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG

It looks like the price is around $750 on multiple sites on Ebay, about half the MOPAR price. For Oscaroparts $675 incl. shipping:

Capture3.JPG

Anyone who has tried any of the 3 supplies mentioned in this thread should give some feed back!

Last edited:

westyventures

In the Oregon Outback
My new-to-me 118" unfortunately had the original exhaust completely replaced by some horrid loud droning aftermarket system. Totally unbearable at normal highway speeds. Has anyone found a nice, affordable, quiet replacement for the original muffler? Loud pipes make sane people do crazy things....

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Just adding a high flow diesel Cat converter will quiet your exhaust down. :idunno:

You might check with mercedes/dodge/freightliner on what a complete exhaust costs. It might be reasonable, and would definitely fit and sound good.

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
I'm getting pricing from Bosal now. Unfortunately the 118 stuff seems hard to come by.
I am just speculating here regarding different parts based on wheel base - and that you don't want to simply go to a muffler shop to bend one - there does not seem to be a difference in parts from the manifold through the muffler. The difference appears to be confined to the tail pipe. It would seem the difference between a 118 and a 140 would be the length of the straight run right that starts at the muffler. If you purchased a tail pipe for a 140, you could cut it down.

I also installed the DEC catalytic converter. It is falling apart: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=570577&postcount=14

Last edited:

westyventures

In the Oregon Outback
Today I replaced the muffler on my 118". The PO had installed one of those Bosal/eBay systems shown in the first post. The 'muffler' in that system is actually a twin-tube glasspack. No wonder it has such a resonance. I dug through a lot of catalogs and reviews before ordering the 'Walker 21481 Quiet-Flow SS muffler' on Amazon for $76. What a huge difference - whisper-quiet now! The dimensions are 7" X 9" shell, 20" Length, 24" overall. Great fit.

Attachments

Last edited:

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
After the van wouldn't move because of a clogged DEC cat, after I got home I took it apart to figure out what happened. As I have reported earlier, I had heard a banging coming from the cat. Apparently whatever it was that was banging around dislodged what looks like insulation material. That, in turn, is what fell in front of the catalytic media canister's screen and blocked the converter.

Messed up focus - but still visible is the fallen insulation on the upstream side of the cat:
P8121986.JPG

This is from the other side/downstream of the cat - the media canister visible.

P8121987.JPG

I still have no idea what it was that separated inside the converter to cause the damage. At the moment I am blaming poor DEC workmanship.

Last edited:

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
Eastern Catalytic - from various suppliers
Select a version with 2.5 in and out

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG

Last edited:

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
My exhaust system is about 10000 away from disintegration. So I have started looking for exhaust system parts again. I am surprised at the lack of options compared to a few years back. Europarts-SD has all 3 end pieces, but only ships the 118. Bosal and DEC still lists the 140, but no one seems to have it. To my surprise, a Mercedes part dealer had 5 of the 140s for $156 delivered. And according the to sticker, it is a recent manufacture date:
20230615_114659.jpg
Another item for the T1Ns that is becoming harder to find.

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
Davico 788359 Thanks to Aspen

According to the write-up, this is for the OM612 (46-state compliant). So for those states that OM612s could not be sold in, be careful that this cat will pass your state's inspection requirements.

Screenshot 2023-10-31 095136.png

Top Bottom