NorCal Sprinter Campout 2017 Oct 19-22. Let's Do Year Two

SprinterSnale

'05 T1N 3500 - NorCalSprinterCampout
Hello Sprinter Fans.
I’m proud to announce the 2nd Annual Northern California Sprinter Campout will be held
October 19 through 22, 2017 once again at the beautiful, spacious (and slightly rugged) Lake Concow Campground.

Last year was so nice, we’re going to do it more than twice. We had wonderful representation of West Coast Sprinter and Transit owners, sharing fantastic ideas from DIY and factory built vans in all states of completion. We shared good times, perfect weather, food, nature, song, socializing, fun and games.

NCSC 2017 is open to all vans and RVs Sprinter or European design in nature, American brands are fine too (all enthusiasts welcome) There was an emphasis on DIY builds with a few factory builds last year. I suppose we’re a DIY bunch at heart, however I look forward to more Class Cs, Roadtreks, Sportsmobiles, Westis or whatever.

The only cost to enter is the $15/night campground fee, $5/day use if coming for a single day.
I’m putting it together for the fun of it. It’s my way to give back to to Sprinter Forum in my field of expertise. There may be sponsorships for door prizes again ...but there will be no best van contest, because just showing up makes us winners. :thumbup:Any vendors wishing to sponsor coupons or door prizes give me a PM or comment.

Lake Concow Campground is excited to host the event again, and the 40 acre space is ideal for our type of bring everything crowd. It’s a charming rustic campground with water pit toilets and cold showers. You may show up anytime day or night without reservation for the event. If you think you can make it, leave a comment. There is no official sign up. We can fit 400 vans if we had too :) I’m expecting 15-40.

Thursday is early arrival and just hanging out and setting up. Most activities will be Friday, Saturday and early Sunday. Everyone is welcome to show up earlier or stay later than the official dates.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NCSC 2017 will be similar to 2016 with a few tweaks to make it a great year two.

We all enjoyed just hanging around the lake and making the rounds to different vans. So the activity schedule will have much free time to visit and tell super-high-roof tales. No parallel parking contest :)

Eating, it turns out, is what we do best. The Friday potluck was a hit and we had an impromptu leftovers potluck Saturday night. 2017 we’re gonna do two (totally optional) potlucks and a goodbye pancake breakfast Sunday morning. I’ll bring the Krusteaz.

Rally: Looking at driving farther up the Feather River Canyon to Taylorsville in Indian Valley Saturday. Friday may incorporate a shorter drive (who wants to see the Oroville Spillway reconstruction or do some Forest Service road driving?)
I’m open to ideas and suggestions about anything.

Headquarters layout, Lake Concow Campground has an exceptionally large stage for music and for hanging out. Headquarters will be on the lakeside of the stage for easy access to stage stairs and more hanging out closer to the lake, as most vans picked lakeshore spots.

Music: Nell and Jim we’re great last year. This year I’m planning a small acoustic type group on Friday and the legendary Gravybrain funk band on Saturday 7PM to 9PM. (Well, legendary in my mind as I’m the drummer, and three members have camper vans. )

I would like to propose a challenge where the band is completely powered by Sprinter battery setups and ditch the noisy-fumey generator. I just upgraded to a 2000 watt pure sine-wave inverter which can power the main PA system. If we get another two or three inverter power donors for the guitar and bass amp, and for lights (modified sine ok) it should be great. (Each inverter would power one element independently to avoid phase synch issues)

Sprinter Jeopardy Saturday after music: You bet that’s happening again. Can you believe no one knew what T1N stood for last year? Better peruse Sprinter-Wiki before the campout.

My wife will be out of the country this NCSC 2017, but we wanted to keep the same weekend. I welcome the support of participants to help me with the campout logistics.

That’s the basic info for now. Looking forward to seeing some old and new Sprinter fans.

Cheers Dale

Terrapin

Thank you Dale! Looking forward to it already. Hope we can come early and stay late,... Count us in.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Thanks Dale. Plan on adding a bit of diversity again this year. Might even convince the wife to go this time. If there is anything we can do to help, let us know.

We are likely to join for at least thursday-friday, the rest of the weekend if vacation days pan out! This sounds super cool. How many come to this event with kids?

SprinterSnale

There was only three, kids last year, two of them up there for deer hunting with their dads, but they enjoyed hanging out at the campfire and induldged in shmores.
It is a good site for kids. Lots of space to run around and ride bikes and do small hikes. It is easy to visually keep tabs on them accross the site. A lot of attendees, like me, have grown kids (and now a grand child :thumbup:).

The campground is also dog friendly. Everyone was mindful to keep them leashed and on runs.
Hope you bring the familiy. Dale

I'm in, and even have a van this year!
And check out Ken's build on Youtube...youtube.com/user/asimba2

Last edited:

kcshoots

VanTripping.com
Count us in! Looking forward to it. And yes, we can supply some power for the excellent live entertainment. New van has 3,000 watt pure sine wave inverter powered by 200Ah lithium battery.

SprinterSnale

NCSC 2017 is still months away, but I'm looking forward to Fall meetup with ya'll. I recognized some vans in the Oregon Sprinterfest 2017 pics and sure wish I could have participated. sigh.

One of the coolest aspects of this informal get-together is that we get to sport our camping regalia in practical use, opposed to a parking lot. Strolling setup to setup to visit and share libations is fun.

For those of you planning on Fall Sprinter galavanting, consider a stop off at NCSC in Concow, CA. It is situated in a beautiful part of Northern California seldom treaded by most, however, between many classic destinations:
2 hrs West of Tahoe-Reno,
40 Minutes East of Chico and Sierra Nevada Brewery :cheers:
1.5 hours South of Mt. Lassen National Park
2 hours North of Sacramento
3 hours NorthEast of the Bay Area
3.5 hours East of the Mendicino Pacific Coast
4.5 hours South of Ashland, Or.

On a personal note, I'm in the middle of moving my recording studio closer to home and wrapping up my duties as a tour manager which has kept me off the forum. This career retooling will give me back my free time and allow more focus on the fun stuff (like NCSC).
Have a great Sprinter Summer.
Dale

SprinterSnale

Ten weeks to Nor Cal Sprinter Campout 2017. Woohoo! Excitement is building as we enter the downhill side of summer.

More of you are coming than the posts indicate as there is no official sign up. Just come on up to Concow if you have the time. The campground is accesible 24/7 for the event.

Though we won't be doing a 'best van' or 'parallel parking competition', I think a cheesy hood or camp-lawn ornament contest is in order along with 'Sprinter Jeapordy' Saturday evening after the music and perhaps 'Wheel of Sprinter' Friday evening.

Bring your surplus build parts for the 'Sprinter Free Box'. There were great scores last year going to happy new owners-builders. I scored a 50' spool of 12-3 SJO cable from onoldfireman. You must take back what does not find a new home on wheels (probably don't want to bring those 7 3500 15" steel rims in the side yard :lol:). If you have something really nice that commands a few bucks, that's fine too.

I'm researching some local mountain bike trails for our spokey enthusiasts.

I know Butte County will have a larger Sprinter presence (4 or 5 so far), and I hope we all meet more forum regulars based in the Bay and the entire West Coast. Never mind I work with famous artists in my day job, I was star struck to meet Graphite Dave at first :rad:. And it was even better to get to know him beyond text-face--as was everybody! Sprinter owners are birds of a feather and have no shortage of topics to discuss. (Tell us about your first VW bus, your last epic road trip, favorite camp area, your career or retirement, and of course, your rig... I won't lose my voice this year--that was rough!)

DIY, Class B, Class C, work van, Sprinter, Transit, Promaster, Nissan, VW, domestic van conversions, or future owners... are all welcome. Bring the family, bring a friend, bring the dog (with leash and run).

More information is on the way.

Please feel free to post any questions or comments. Dale

SprinterSnale

Thanks Fitz2 and VTSoundman (presumably another audio engineer?)

Late October weather in NorCal is predicted to be (average) mild temps, (which can't be said for the August and early September heat blast).

Working up some stickers for you all and considering tee shirts.

More to come. Dale

PS-Edit...link in flyer will be active in a couple days...

Last edited:
Thanks Fitz2 and VTSoundman (presumably another audio engineer?)
Good guess...VT is Virginia Tech...and the soundman, well you get it.

In a past life and a couple decades ago...used to own operate a sound reinforcement business with lighting, acoustics, and video thrown in for good measure...

Likely two adults, a kiddo, and a doggggg...if we can get the damn thing back from the dealer(the van, not the dog). Been in twice since we got it (~30 days ago)... undergoing DEF surgery, a high idle retrofit, side step delete, driveline clunk (4wd 144 2015), door rattle...heh.

Last edited:

SprinterSnale

Good guess...VT is Virginia Tech...and the soundman, well you get it.
...bringing a rig into my almamater, Chico State, tomorrow for a festival, I hole up in the recording studio more often as the gear gets heavier in my 50's:laughing:

Been in twice since we got it (~30 days ago)... undergoing DEF surgery, a high idle retrofit, side step delete, driveline clunk (4wd 144 2015), door rattle...heh.
~50 days to get 'er sussed out. I'll be enjoying a water pump replacement next week.
Besides doing the basics, the T1 has never let me down on a show in it's 5th season.

richard cabesa

I think I just might have to show up for this. Graphite Dave needs to see the latest changes to the Orton DIY, and I need to steal a few ideas from the rest of you

wmcbride

Count us in. Mona, Graeme, and I will be there. Two adults, one kid and our Honda Civic. We are working on getting a sprinter now though probably won't have one in time for this years campout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom