Favorite uses for full-time ScanGauge II?

manwithgun

Unknown member
It works well, except for the Transmission Fluid Temp. My Sprinter is a 2008 3500 Winnebago RV, and these things are hard on transmissions. I thought the information would be good to know, so I can slow down, downshift, etc., to keep the trans temp below 200 degrees.
I haven't used a ScanGauge but have stumbled across some discussions regarding Trans temps and monitoring. One thing to keep in mind is that the trans fluid is cooled by the coolant radiator (the trans lines run through it) so their temps should align if everything is working as it should. Also, actual trans temps are not broadcast while in Park or Neutral, only while in gear.

These links are referencing the T1N but I believe the NCV3 functions the same:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=782852&postcount=55

"The transmission temperature is only broadcast over the CAN when the transmission is in either Drive or Reverse. When in Neutral or Park the signal is locked at 5 V to signify Neutral. So you may only be able to find the PID when in D or R.

From this old thread... https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=47396

Keith."

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=810672&postcount=9

"A class C Sprinter motor home is a completely different animal than what you have. I often need to be in 3rd when ascending hills on the interstate. I'll lug up in 4th, but when rpm drops too low it's time to downshift again.

Lugging doesn't adversely affect tranny temperature. I don't believe downshifting, in order to keep tranny temperature low does much good. Tranny temperature is well regulated by the stock cooler/radiator. Coolant temp and tranny temp are closely coupled. They are almost always less than 15 F apart.

Here's a plot from this spring. Just past the 120 minute mark there's a longer duration with 100% LOD (red plot). Oil temp (upper plot) peaks at 273 F. Next two plots are coolant (purple) and tranny (green) temps. Coolant peaks at 221 F, and tranny temp peaks at 213 F. The viscus fan was holding temperatures in check."

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
I created an x-gauge for the transmission temp, but the information it provides appears to be inaccurate. It mirrors the Water temperature - sometimes a bit higher, sometimes a bit lower. When I use a laser temp thermometer to measure temperature at the oil pan, the temp is 30-40 degrees less than the gauge. I contacted Scangauge, and they gave me a different X-gauge to try. Now the reading is the same as the water temperature, but if I put the transmission in gear, it will drop by 40 or 50 degrees for a few seconds, then return to the water temperature.
The transmission temp PID will show coolant temp when the selector is in Park or Neutral, and transmission temp when in any drive gear. This is a quirk of the WA580, my Jeep Wrangler (with the same transmission) does the same thing. So what you are seeing is normal, except that you should see transmission temp whenever the gear selector is in a drive gear, for as long as it is in a drive gear... it should not return to coolant temp unless you go back to park or neutral. I've never seen the behavior of switching by itself after a few seconds don't have an explanation for that part

Last edited:

Mickyfin

I have recently purchased a ScanGauge II, I'm yet to use it, but seeing as I'm about to undertake a 7k round trip starting this afternoon, I would like to use it, do they take much setting up?

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Hi Micky,

It's been a few years since I set mine up but should probably take about twenty minutes. Make sure you pick the correct 'Diesel A' or Diesel B' setting then everything should be simple.

Keith.

beez

Hey folks,
Just a heads up, AutoZone has the scangauge II on sale, $50 off.
Out the door $109 plus tax.

Has anyone come up with a good way to hide the wire?

How about putting the fuse box door back on with the gauge plugged in?
Thanks!
Chris

Mickyfin

I would like to know this too, and have been searching for a low profile obdII extension lead.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 50714

A common application for a Scanguage beyond monitoring fluid temperatures and such is watching EGT to check for DPF regens in progress (to avoid interrupting them if possible, no big deal if it happens but better to avoid when possible.) I think the most current Scanguage firmware has a discrete DPF regen in progress monitor so you don't need to infer it from EGT.
My experience; interrupting DPF regenerations 3 times will Trigger a CEL (Check Engine Light). After a 2-3 hours of continuous highway driving, OBDII (On Board Diagnostics) extinguished the CEL. YMMV.

I use SGII and trip ODO to monitor and anticipate DPF regenerations (about every 550miles). Also, monitor engine load.

beez

I've confirmed that the sale unit I got from AutoZone has the latest firmware 4.53.

I can't figure out how to get it to display EGT, Transmission Temp, or the "discrete DPF regen in progress monitor".
Still lots to learn I guess.

beez

Ok, I answered my own question:

https://www.scangauge.com/mercedes/

And it's a lot easier to enter these data into the gauge than I thought it would be with the limited number of keys. It would be cool if there was a 'programming cable' that you could dump a file full of PIDs into the SG though...

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
There is a very simple test in the instructions...

"Diesel Vehicles: Determining the Diesel Type
If your vehicle uses diesel fuel and you’re not sure which setting to use in the FUEL TYPE parameter, you can determine the type by performing the following procedure:
• Set the ENGINE SIZE to match the liter size of your vehicle’s engine
• Set FUEL TYPE to DIESELa.
• Run the engine until warmed up to operating temperature.
• Park the vehicle and set it in Park or Neutral.
• While the engine is idling, select GAUGE from the Home Screen, and set one of the gauges to show RPM and another to show GPH. You can set the gauges by pressing the function buttons next to the gauge position you wish to change.
• Make note of the GPH value.
• Next, use the throttle to raise the engine RPM to about 1500 RPM. If the GPH reading
increased, you have a DIESELa vehicle. If the GPH dropped or stayed the same, you
have a DIESELb vehicle and should change the FUEL TYPE to DIESELb."

But from memory I think it should be 'b'.

Keith.

Mickyfin

Ive purchased one of these, and wondered where you guys are mounting yours, and if you are having to use an extension lead to mount it in your preferred locations?

I wish to locate mine just above the cubby hole near to the cabin dome lamp.

Lagom

Panic in Detroit
Guess not, huh?

I thought I once saw on this forum a picture of one with actual flat ribbon cable, which I could make work. I can't find it, though, and haven't seen one in my shopping.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
You could make your own ... buy ribbon-cable style OBD connectors and squish your own with the cable exiting as you wish.
digikey (dot com) and the like can supply the parts.

--dick

Top Bottom