scanner choice T1N

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The (roughly) $69 AP200 from Autel (which uses your smartphone as its screen/buttons) does a decent job of *reading* T1N stuff,
but it doesn't have the full diagnostic exerciser functions of a more expensive unit.

--dick

I would advise against the AP200 as you can't use it freely with any car. You get one car free and have to pay up for using it on additional cars. Pay the 150 - 250 and get one that you can you can use on unlimited vehicles. Just my two cents.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
I would advise against the AP200 as you can't use it freely with any car. You get one car free and have to pay up for using it on additional cars. Pay the 150 - 250 and get one that you can you can use on unlimited vehicles. Just my two cents.
But, I believe the AP200 has powers over and above the 150 - 250 range of Autel scanners, eg the ability to talk to the eSpar heater and command regens on later models.

IMO worth getting for those two reasons alone if you need to do either of the above.

Then get an MD802 or MD808 for 'everything else'!!!

Just my :2cents:

Keith.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
At $60 each, I’d buy another AP200 dongle for another free brand before I signed up to “rent” a second vehicle’s code set - assuming the phone app allows you to do this? Haven’t had to try that...
Another “gotcha” is the requirement to be signed into the app before using the Benz-sprinter module. Not sure how that works if you are in the boonies and don’t have a cell phone signal? Might be fine, but haven’t tried that either.

I’d prefer that Autel simply sell the ad-on modules and leave them signed in on your phone, but that’s not what they chose to do...

-dave

Another “gotcha” is the requirement to be signed into the app before using the Benz-sprinter module. Not sure how that works if you are in the boonies and don’t have a cell phone signal? Might be fine, but haven’t tried that either.

-dave
I was wondering about that too. Easy enough to check by just turning off Wifi and Mobile Data access before plugging in the AP200 dongle.

In my opinion anyone concerned with accessing multiple vehicles would be better of with the Autel MD802 All Systems or the MD808 Pro as the first choice. It is not limited to one vehicle and is completely stand alone.

If the AP200 provides some features an owner would like which aren't offered by the other Autel unit, then get one and assign it to the Sprinter.

Because I am a hoarder I now have enough scan tools that the iCarsoft MBII always rides in the 2004 and the MD808 Pro rides in the 2006. They are kept in the lower door pockets. (Just discard the MD808 plastic blow mold huge case. :professor:) The AP200 dongle is in a camera case (more a spare cell phone and battery case) which usually comes with on trips.

:2cents: vic

As an aside. I always carry a spare cell phone on trips. I is very easy to swap over to another phone if something goes wrong with the main one. Swapping over is especially easy if the phone was at one time used on the account. In that case it may just involve scrolling to the carrier phone info and clicking. I believe that any spare cell phone will work with 911 even when not assigned to a provider.

Top Bottom