EV2, 2019 4x4

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
As always, 100% transparent with my builds that roll out, so heres another one! EV3 is shortly after on a 170 2019 2wd

Untitled by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
Interior color selection.
Walls
Floors
Countertop
Cabinet faces are the white scroll pattern, and sides and bottoms are white
White powdercoat

BFG 285/75-16
Gotta pull the mudflaps and no issues. They do rub on the flaps

Buildout includes:
200 watts of Renogy solar
Adventure Wagon RUV Interior Kit :
Electrical – A complete wiring harness and accessories to power the van cabin. The fully assembled and loomed harness connects to the stock Sprinter battery and includes leads for two fans, six lights, four UBS ports, four 12v ports, and two accessories (heater, sink, etc.). The included LED lights are dimmable and can switch to red. The eight included power ports are marine grade. All installation hardware is included and all wire ends connectors are installed.
Insulation –Hushmat sound deadener, 3M Thinsulate wall and ceiling insulation to match the Sprinter interior cavities, and double-sided tape for installation. All interior panels also have reflectix installed on the backside for added sound and heat insulation.
Ceiling Fans – Two Maxxair ceiling fans, with mounting base, trim ring, weather seal, electrical connections and installation hardware.
Wall and Ceiling Bracers – Powder-coated, pre-assembled bracers used for L-track installation points and to support our optional bed and storage systems. Includes all hardware.
L-track – Aircraft-style L-track pre-cut and pre-drilled. Four (144WB) or six (170WB) vertical wall tracks, four horizonal wall tracks and three ceiling tracks with mounting hardware.
Wall and Ceiling Panels – Cut-to-fit 6mm marine-grade, plywood panels, upholstered in your choice of 4 standard fabric colors, and backed with Reflectix insulation. Pre-drilled for mounting power outlets. Ceiling panels are cut out for fans (if needed) and the six LED lights are already installed. All installation hardware is included.
Molded Trim – Custom-made, upholstered interior panels to complete areas above sliding door, behind driver’s head, and driver’s side crew window. Mounting hardware included.
Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
Under Floor Insulation
Aluminum Framed Interior Components:
Wheel well covers with hinged lid
Queen Bed Platform, north to south
Fridge slide mounted cabinet with drawer
Galley Unit with 3 drawers, 2 doors
3 Upper Cabinets (exchangeable for Soft sided Upper Cabinets)
Laminate cabinet doors, sides and bottom
Galley includes:
Plug and play to a 12v source
Dometic Sink and Stove Combo
Water Pump
1lb Propane Tank holder
All Plumbing and propane regulator
12v Water pump
2 5 Gallon Tanks
Quick Disconnect for water tank
Switch for Water Pump
Ability to mount Lagun table already engineered, just add table and mount
Dometic CFX50 Fridge unit
Dometic CFX50 Slide
Alpine Mechanism Seat Swivels where applicable
AMAuto OEM Style Bonded Sliding Passenger window with screen
Ctek DC to DC charger under driver seat
Ctek Bluetooth Battery Monitor
100AH Renogy AGM Battery under passenger seat, optionally in engine bay (required for heater installation)
All Marine grade wire, heat shrink terminals

Upgrades:
Flarespace with tern window
BFG Tires
Owl Vans Tire carrier and Sherpa
Goal zero yeti 1400 with vehicle integration wiring

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
Just random update as im prepping for parts to get here.
Finished up a Revel on 35s, and took some side by side

Resetting the shop with two vans (ev3 is here soon as well)
Nice and clean now

Adding mount tabs to all the framing in order to have hidden fasteners on all future interiors for a cleaner look. Not everyone is like me and likes having pretty screws. So chopped, and punched a ton of tabs
and all welded up.

ill drop them off at powdercoat and start putting it together

Flarespace flares and tern overland windows came in as well, dropping them off to paint today as well as finishing registration.

Floor is being built by my cabinet guy, 3/4 cabinet grade ply flooring for awesome screw bite and mounting.

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
Trim rings came in for the Flarespace flares.
Took the old walls, and made a new template combining them, and with the trim ring, so now I can have some templates made with my CNC guy to have them around. I have three sets of vans to install currently so it works out well.

Need to wrap everything with fabric and get it installed!

VanGoSki

So two fans plus 200W of solar, on a 144"? I'd be interested in seeing how you fit panels on that.

GSWatson

2013 144
I did the same on the last conversion. The Renogy slim panels, at a little over 19 inches with each, just fit between two MaxxAirs
. I can’t find a better picture, but this gives you an idea. I’m sure Grant has a better shot of one of his vans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VanGoSki

Thanks, Greg. Very helpful. Still quite a bit of roof left to puzzle in some smaller panels as well I imagine. How do you like having two fans in a 144?

GSWatson

2013 144
It’s nice to be able to have one push and one pull and create a cross-breeze in the van.

And yes, lots of room still up there; I could probably fit another panel in front, and maybe a 50w beside the rear fan, although I’m thinking a custom road shower can go there...

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
I did the same on the last conversion. The Renogy slim panels, at a little over 19 inches with each, just fit between two MaxxAirs
. I can’t find a better picture, but this gives you an idea. I’m sure Grant has a better shot of one of his vans.

that is a horrible location
the forward fan wlll kill efficiency depending on how the sun is

EV1 by Grant Wilson, on Flickr

GSWatson

2013 144
So far, three months, no problems. She’s back to 100% by 2pm even on an overcast day, usually by 11. 220ah Agm bank. That’s running lights, 110v fridge, two or three cups of tea at night and a coffee or two in the morning from an electric kettle. I think by the time the sun is low enough to shadow the forward panel, it’s not doing much anyway.

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
So far, three months, no problems. She’s back to 100% by 2pm even on an overcast day, usually by 11. 220ah Agm bank. That’s running lights, 110v fridge, two or three cups of tea at night and a coffee or two in the morning from an electric kettle. I think by the time the sun is low enough to shadow the forward panel, it’s not doing much anyway.

you just have to make sure that you are parking hte correct way. If you dont, and hte vent is up, that forward panel will always have shadow if you arent.

VanGoSki

This is also one of Hein's suggested layouts for a 144 with dual vents. I think I like it better than having one forward of the front fan which looks from the picture to be more visible and less aerodynamic.

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
Lol. why are you worried about more visible. None of these things are stealth.

Regardless of who suggests it or not, it hinders efficiency if you arent parked correctly.
I personally would rather have a setup you never have to worry about what direction you park

GSWatson

2013 144
you just have to make sure that you are parking hte correct way. If you dont, and hte vent is up, that forward panel will always have shadow if you arent.

Theoretically, yes. But my experience with her van, and my own, is that modern equipment is efficient enough to it have to make such worries be at the forefront. She lives in San Francisco, which as any resident can tell you, is not ideal summer weather. Mark Twain once said ‘the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco...” The Fog can turn day and tonight, or at least into swirling cold where you can barely see 50 feet in front of you at times. Not ideal sore conditions, but with average equipment, there’s just no problem in keeping up with her electrical demands. No fancy 12 or fridge, just a regular 120 V dorm fridge running off of a 2000 W inverter, which is also not ideal for that loads because of efficiency losses, but she has an electric kettle for tea and coffee. I think that at times on this forum people get lost in chasing efficiencies without looking at real life conditions for where they live. My experience with my own van is based on living In Northern California for nine months out of the year, and then traveling to Florida to visit my mom for a couple months. I often stay places for days at a time while traveling. I do pretty much all electric for my system; a 120 V dorm fridge, electric kettle for at least two large mugs of coffee per day, and a 2 quart instant pot. I have 300 W of solar on the roof, and 220 amp hours of lifeline AGM’s. The only time I’ve run into real trouble was in Telluride, after a couple days of snow. I have a Dell laptop power supply that is hooked into my solar controller to trick it into thinking that there are 12a of solar coming from the panels anytime I am not in the sun, which mainly was in the carport of my mother’s house. I just run an extension cord to that when I’m there.

Anyway, not to hijack the thread, but my experience is that for the modest equipment I have, I’m doing just fine without worrying about which way I park.

As always, YMMV.

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
alright alright alright
Ive been a little MIA because big things happened!

Uprooted and moved my house, and workshop to Jacksonville, Fl.
Why you ask?
I'm glad you cared!
I have been working with Freedom Conversions in jax for a bit helping them with some electrical and other situations, and the time came, where it made sense to team up and be awesome together.
So, made a decision to go big or go home (as i always do), doubled down, bought a house and we got a 4,000sqft workshop
The cool part, is it just lets us do more of what we already do! No big changes, just the ability to help more people get into vans, finish parts of their DIY builds they dont have the skill to do, mods for people with a badass van already (revel owners of course) and make cool products!
Ev2 Moving to new workspace by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
New Shop Space by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
New Workspace Un Packing by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
New Workspace Organization by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
New Workspace by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
EV2 in workspace by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
EV2 in workspace by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
we always keep fridges and some other stock on hand as well!

so then that brings us to the progress of EV2, which will be at Expo along with the Blue van
Its super close to being done. Just gotta line the flares, throw the back walls and bed in, and connect the solar to the panels. Super duper close!
Ev2 20019 4x4 144wb Interior by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
EV2 2019 4x4 144wb Power Area by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
Got tired of measuring for 110 plug and USB stuff, so made a template so its the same every time.

Ev2 2019 4x4 144wb galley build by Grant Wilson, on Flickr
EV2 4x4 144 WB Galley Build by Grant Wilson, on FlickrUntitled by Grant Wilson, on Flickr

So super excited ot get it done and hit the trails. we will have it as a demo van for a few months at least, adventure wagon is behind on kits, so the 170 i ordered for the shop van isnt quite done yet.

Top Bottom