CTEK Battery Chargers

wayneskid

Has anyone had experience with any of the newer chargers from CTEK? See http://smartercharger.com/battery-chargers/ for the full line of models. I bought the Multi US 7002. I've been reading the documentation and haven't connected it yet. My Interstate will be in long term (indoor, heated) storage in Oregon this winter and I think I will use this one for the coach batteries and perhaps get the cheaper Multi US 3300 for the Sprinter battery. The FAQ page says you don't need to disconnect the battery when charging with these models but I'm wary. Any thoughts from the forum would be appreciated. For those that have their vehicles in long term storage during the off season, what do you do to keep the batteries up?

Thanks,
Wayne

glas1700

I've been using a Battery Minder for years and keep it connected almost continuously to one of my cars that gets driven infrequently. It works very well and I also use it to keep two surplus 12V batteries fully charged. I haven't tried to bring a dead battery back to life and I can't comment on the effectiveness of the anti-sulfation pulses, but it never overcharges, so I'm satisfied.

http://tinyurl.com/3ozfql6

Byron
07 Navion

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Has anyone had experience with any of the newer chargers from CTEK? See http://smartercharger.com/battery-chargers/ for the full line of models. I bought the Multi US 7002. I've been reading the documentation and haven't connected it yet. My Interstate will be in long term (indoor, heated) storage in Oregon this winter and I think I will use this one for the coach batteries and perhaps get the cheaper Multi US 3300 for the Sprinter battery. The FAQ page says you don't need to disconnect the battery when charging with these models but I'm wary. Any thoughts from the forum would be appreciated. For those that have their vehicles in long term storage during the off season, what do you do to keep the batteries up?

Thanks,
Wayne
Wayne:So far I have found the CTEK to be he ultimate charger on the market to date,
I first purchased a lesser CTEK in 2005 but since upgraded as to running a 220amp rear aux battery that needs to be kept on constant trickle charge.
The Marine 300 is as similar to the 7200 series but waterproof.
Terminals must be connected proir to mains electricity being turned on.
DSC01624 (Custom).JPG
The smaller base charger keeps my mains battery on trickle charge or to boost the charge if and when required, as it's under 100amp.
DSC01623 (Custom) copy.jpg
Terminals have since been Hard Gold plated to negate the possibility of corrosion.
Pic depleted are spares if ever needed.
DSC01203 (Custom).JPG
DSC01205 (Custom).JPG

Richard

YouTube - ‪CTEK - The Smartest Battery Chargers in the World‬‏

Last edited:

Oldfartt

Hi Wayne,
There should be no issues with leaving the battery always connected. The unit which is best suited for your house battery is Ctek Muilti US 25000. It has a maximum charge rate of 25 Amps. Once the battery is charged it goes into a maintenance mode.

Quote from Ctek;

" Ripple describes the quality of the current and voltage. A high current ripple heats the battery and shortens its life. A linear charger has a current ripple of 70-400% which is much larger than the maximum 5% for a modern sealed battery. High voltage ripple could harm other equipment that is connected to the battery. MULTI US 25000 delivers voltage and current with very low ripple. The battery has a long service life and there is no risk of damage to other electronic devices connected to the battery."

Richard, The M300 is not available in USA as it is a 220 to 240Volt device.

I have a Ctek D250s Dc to DC charger to go in my new rig. It is designed to charge house and engine battery from solar panels and engine alternator. It is an MPPT device as well as desulphating function. I also have a AC Mains to regulated 15Volt DC power supply which can be switched automatically in place of the solar panels. This technology from Ctek is brilliant. All you need in one box.

Cheers

Ross

wayneskid

Ross,

"The unit which is best suited for your house battery is Ctek Muilti US 25000. It has a maximum charge rate of 25 Amps."

Since I'm looking primarily for a maintenance charge function while the vehicle is in storage, I hope the much cheaper Multi US 7002 which provides 7 A charge current will work for me. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Wayne

Oldfartt

Hi Wayne,

Yes the 7002 will be fine for your application. It will just take longer to do a full charge if the battery is discharged. Good choice. :thumbup:
Cheers

Ross

teamtexas

A Dad owner with a '03
I have and have used the CTEK 7002US for about a year and it has worked great. I keep it connected at least 75% of the storage time. It has maintained my (2) 100 ah agms without fault.
HPIM2429_2546.jpg

Dan

wayneskid

Dan,

Looks good; I think I will mount inside the batt box as well. ! How do you route the AC cable when your van is in storage?

Wayne

teamtexas

A Dad owner with a '03
My routing is very low tech....out in the great wide open! AC cord plugs into the outside inlet for power.
HPIM2038_1913.jpg

Dan

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
CTEK Chargers now available from your Mercedes Sprinter dealership.
Charger 3.6A B6 754 2028
Charger 25A B6 754 2027
Richard

BBQ Ribs

I purchased the ctek 25000 in hopes of mounting it to the battery permanently, however the connectors are clamps.
Has anyone removed the clamp connectors and replaced them with eyelets?

hein

Van Guru
I purchased the ctek 25000 in hopes of mounting it to the battery permanently, however the connectors are clamps.
Has anyone removed the clamp connectors and replaced them with eyelets?
We use one to charge the house batteries in our Transit when needed. We drive it almost everyday and it sits outside (solar) so haven't had it 'plugged in' since last winter when it was parked and the panels were covered with snow. We use the charger for other batteries around the farm/business so wanted to retain the ability to reattach the clamps.

I contacted Ctek's US customer support and they said it would not void the warranty if I replaced the clamps with a Metri-Pack sealed 480 (42A rating) connector. We didn't cut off the temp sensor and just position it close to the battery that is being charged. I have some extra connector sets if you want to use one. Please contact me via DIYvan.com

P.S. Perhaps would be prudent to add an inline fuse holder and 25A fuse on the charger output. Ctek's other chargers have that feature. Not sure why the US25000 does not.

We do also use the Ctek 7002 to maintain the Sprinter chassis battery. I did have that charger plugged in to an outlet all the time but lately I have it set up on a timer where it runs for a few hours each day.

All the best,
Hein

Last edited:

BBQ Ribs

We use one to charge the house batteries in our Transit when needed. We drive it almost everyday and it sits outside (solar) so haven't had it 'plugged in' since last winter when it was parked and the panels were covered with snow. We use the charger for other batteries around the farm/business so wanted to retain the ability to reattach the clamps.

I contacted Ctek's US customer support and they said it would not void the warranty if I replaced the clamps with a Metri-Pack sealed 480 (42A rating) connector. We didn't cut off the temp sensor and just position it close to the battery that is being charged. I have some extra connector sets if you want to use one. Please contact me via DIYvan.com

P.S. Perhaps would be prudent to add an inline fuse holder and 25A fuse on the charger output. Ctek's other chargers have that feature. Not sure why the US25000 does not.

We do also use the Ctek 7002 to maintain the Sprinter chassis battery. I did have that charger plugged in to an outlet all the time but lately I have it set up on a timer where it runs for a few hours each day.

All the best,
Hein

That's exactly how I envisioned I would use it, pm incoming thank you

Top Bottom