NCV steering wheel upgrade

guydewdney

Fyi the W211 steering wheel is a direct swap for the sprinter. I had a burl walnut one with buttons.no airbag connection issues or lights on.

Fyi 2.... The steering buttons work with Sound 5 volume even though I have poverty spec dash and no coding. The lights even work on the buttons.

2007 UK 313cdi 906 sprinter, unknown year steering wheel but facelift W211

modernvagabond

random hero
By facelift you mean 2006-2009, right? Cuz I accidentally bought an 05 and it has two airbag connections and different control connections. Any other info you may have would be fantastic. Or if you have photos of the connections that would obviously be best. Thanks for your help!

SeattleMatt

Interesting that this is the only mention of this I could find. Anyone else try this swap or can confirm what years of w211 match?

Mickyfin

So what your saying is your original steering wheel had now button controls, but the new one does, and they all work and illuminate without modification?

Mickyfin

So if I purchase one of these steering wheels to replace my non-buttoned steering wheel, all will work as it should?

hippy

Hardware Modifier
I think he means the bloby type mickyfin.
I'll go to the scrap yard and try some on and find out.

SeattleMatt

Damn, those are some ugly buttons, what were they thinking? I've been looking, when I find one, I will install it and update.

hippy

Hardware Modifier
So far that model and version isn't looking good.
I just searched eBay for "Mercedes airbag" which gave me loads of pictures I can reference against model/numbers and see if they have one single airbag plug like mine or a huge connector
Is the green plug for the buttons?
Check item 253747307325 on eBay
It's the same shape, facelift etc but it has 2 airbag sockets

Last edited:

djomlas

08 2500 DPF MALONE TUNED
my wheel is really worn out and im not interested at all in airbag replacement or any buttons, so will the w211 wheel just bolt on and retain the stock airbag? (2008 model)

hippy

Hardware Modifier
To update this thread for future searching peeps I have sourced a sprinter airbag with the buttons and fitted it to my standard steering wheel.
Only the audio controls work at the moment with my poverty audio 5 system but I can see all the other buttons functioning on xentry.

No wiring mods, no coding instant volume control for £20 GBP second hand airbag from eBay.
When I do update the steering wheel to my dream walnut or s class AMG bling I'll come back and let you know.
Mark

austn436

any updates on this? from my research the ncv3 sprinter like my 2012 has only one green plug for airbag. the w211 airbags seem to have 2 plugs for the airbag? any one have any clarification on this?

hippy

Hardware Modifier
any updates on this? from my research the ncv3 sprinter like my 2012 has only one green plug for airbag. the w211 airbags seem to have 2 plugs for the airbag? any one have any clarification on this?
I did find w211 with single airbag connections but you would need to take the w211 cable and plug and swap with your original one as the plug is different.
I bought a sprinter airbag with buttons and fitted on original 2007 wheel, that gave me the volume control back then on the old radio, I now have the highline dash and full screen mercedes posh MP3 playing head unit and they are all controlled by the steering wheel including loads of dash menus etc.

Not sure I would have a resistor mod Infront of my face just in case.

modernvagabond

random hero
A picture tells a thousand words
Is it the type where the buttons look like they are 1 price per side like this

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachme...ort-leather-flat-bottom-steering-wheel_02.jpg or are they the separate little oval blobs like this one.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/151218773289-0-1/s-l1000.jpg
Sorry for reviving a dead post but I was looking at my messages concerning this swap for a different active post on the forum. I couldn’t remember which wheel I tried. It was the first wheel in the quoted post. The top one. It had two air bag connections. It sucks cuz it’s really pretty. And real leather. And I still have it. So if someone knows which resistor I would need to make it work on my 2008 ncv3, I’d be much obliged. I upgraded to the highline gauge cluster and the regular sprinter wheel with buttons (I removed it from an e series I think). But I also can confirm that it all plugged right up and worked out of the box. No mods necessary. I love it compared to the factory freight liner crap.

modernvagabond

random hero
Use one put the resistor on the second one.
And the Ohms of said resistor? Danger is my first and last name. Yep I’m Danger Danger cuz my parents suck and they hate me. They were anti hippies. I’ll be the guinea pig. I have this fancy wheel and I’d rather use it. Let’s roll the dice and see if it ‘splodes in my face.

Top Bottom