Winegard ConnecT 2.0 on new Unity models

Peter Tourin

2020 Unity RL, ex 2012 Unity MB
I've been driving a '12 MB and carrying a Netgear JetPak with a small MIMO antenna - this has worked fine and I haven't paid much attention to other solutions. Both of us have had jobs that allowed us to work remotely, and for the most part we've been satisfied working with the JetPack on Verizon.

I see that the new Unity models come with the Winegard ConnectT as standard equipment. So I want to make sure I understand what it does and what the tradeoffs are.

Am I correct that it is good at grabbing nearby WIFI signals, if any? Is this very useful in real life? My experience with campsites and WIFI is basically that service is almost always slow and unreliable - thus the JetPak.

Am I correct that to use the Winegard's 4G LTE capabilities I have to have a cellular account and a SIM card? So if I wanted to run off Verizon I'd pull the card out of my JetPack and place it in the Winegard? Or if I wanted to use AT&T, I'd have to expand my AT&T account and get a SIM card for the Winegard? That is - you must pay for a data account in order to use the 4G capability.

If I have this correct, is the connectivity likely to be any better than using the JetPack?

And finally, what's the story on the no-contract 30-day data plans that Winegard advertises? Do I purchase these through Winegard, and does Winegard in turn have their own arrangements with cell providers to provide the service? Again, is this cost-effective and is the coverage good?

Thanks for any comments, pros and cons, etc. I'm not very good at reading company advertising and figuring out what they're really selling - hard for me to make sense of it until I've had my hands on it. So a bit of discussion here will go a long way towards helping me understand whether this gadget is a Genuine Good Thing or not.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
I don't know this device, but unless it has a better MiMo antenna than you do, I see no way how it could improve your cellular connection.

As for "nearby WiFi", if you want that, just get yourself a Ubiquiti WiFi receiver. These are external WiFi antennas with little routers built right in. This avoids having the push the WiFi signal through a long wire to get it inside the van. Instead, it is converted to Ethernet right at the antenna, and you run it into the van via Cat-5. You can get either directional or omnidirectional versions, as you prefer. These devices do require some skill at setting up a router, but they are very, very good at receiving distant WiFi. A pair of them can send WiFi for miles.

Are they worth it? Depends on where you camp. But I have one and have pretty much never used it. As you say, cellular MiMo rules.

RV2019

2017 Wonder MB
There is a Togo Roadlink 2 that is similar to the Winegard connect 2 (almost a copy but doesn't include TV antenna which I think the connect 2 has). Togo has an AT&T plan that is $360/year or $30/mo for unlimited data. Some users report using 200+GB monthly with no throttling.

Here's more info:
Roadlink Info

My plan is to purchase and install once the weather cools down.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
There is a Togo Roadlink 2 that is similar to the Winegard connect 2 (almost a copy but doesn't include TV antenna which I think the connect 2 has). Togo has an AT&T plan that is $360/year or $30/mo for unlimited data. Some users report using 200+GB monthly with no throttling.

Here's more info:
Roadlink Info
As the article explains (if you click on the links), this plan (like all other hotspot plans) is NOT "unlimited data", except as defined in cell-provider fantasy land. It is subject to "network management", which is another name for "throttling". NO non-dedicated 4G device is truly unlimited, and never will be. If such a product were offered, people would instantly start using them for their home Internet service, and the market would fall apart.

Simplified

2019 Unity TB
There is a Togo Roadlink 2 that is similar to the Winegard connect 2 (almost a copy but doesn't include TV antenna which I think the connect 2 has). Togo has an AT&T plan that is $360/year.

We’re using the AT&T $360/year unlimited plan on our Connect 2.0. Works great as long as we’re in their service area.

You wouldn’t want the Winegard plan. Very expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RV2019

2017 Wonder MB
We’re using the AT&T $360/year unlimited plan on our Connect 2.0. Works great as long as we’re in their service area.

You wouldn’t want the Winegard plan. Very expensive.

So how much data are you using and does it get throttled?

Natuzzi

I had the Winegard ConnecT 2.0 added to my 2018 UMB and have had mixed results after much trial and error. I won’t go into my early trials as a lot has changed and would no longer be relevant. First of all, it is an excellent wifi booster for any nearby signals available and for which you have the password. Even on public wifi without passwords, it creates a secure connection so you can do personal and private business without fear of being hacked. This part of the Winegard requires no subscription or fees and is well worth having in my opinion on it’s own. It will boost campground wifi systems significantly even though most of them are marginal at best. As for the 4G part, it’s a different story. The Winegard is superior to jetpacks, at least my Verizon jetpack. You do need a data plan either from Winegard (a very expensive AT&T version), an AT&T plan or a Verizon plan. The SIM card is a different size than your phone or tablet plus you won’t want to be climbing upon the roof to install/uninstall the SIM card each time as the card is in the Winegard device. After much wrangling and arguing, I was able to get the Winegard setup on my Verizon Unlimited Plan for $20 per month for the same amount of data as my jetpack which is 15GB unthrottled and then reduced to 660kbs afterward. This is not a lot of data especially for things like streaming movies. So I now use the 4G part as a hotspot while traveling in remote locations primarily for phone use or just surfing the net when wifi is not available. And again, it’s far superior to a jetpack. I know this is lengthy and hopefully I have covered the big chunks but this has been my personal experience.

TampaSteve

2018/2019 Unity CB
I have the Winegard Connect 2.0. The WiFi router is quite good. It can pick up distant Wifi that none of my phones can see.

You are correct that its of little value if the Wifi you are connecting to stinks, which is typical. If you park in a Mcdonald's parking lot though its probably great.

I don't use that feature though, because I have the Verizon prepaid $65 Unlimited plan (true unlimited, no throttling, I have put over 100 gig a month on it and could have used way more if I wanted to). As far as that part of it, I never bothered to try my Verizon sim on the rooftop Winegard. Too much bother to change the sim when needed, so instead I put a router inside the RV with an antenna on the roof.

So I ended up never using the Winegard. If you are staying somewhere that has good Wifi but just a bit too far away it could be beneficial. For cell signal usage I wouldn't bother. Any hotspot or router will do just as well. You will just get the same results you already have with your jetpack most of the time.

Last edited:

Simplified

2019 Unity TB
So how much data are you using and does it get throttled?

We're just part time and use it to stream Netflix and YouTube TV. Haven't figured out yet what we'll use monthly when we're out for a couple months later this winter. No throttling, but it is subject to Network Management after 22 GB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Simplified

2019 Unity TB
I don't use that feature though, because I have the Verizon prepaid $65 Unlimited plan (true unlimited, no throttling, I have put over 100 gig a month on it and could have used way more if I wanted to). As far as that part of it, I never bothered to try my Verizon sim on the rooftop Winegard. Too much bother to change the sim when needed, so instead I put a router inside the RV with an antenna on the roof.

I wouldn't try that. They might cancel your plan if they found out. I tried to get that $65 plan on the Winegard and they wouldn't let me. I'm really happy with the AT&T plan that was designed for this purpose.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
I don't use that feature though, because I have the Verizon prepaid $65 Unlimited plan (true unlimited, no throttling,
Could you send a link to the T's & C's of this alleged plan? For the reason I have stated, I simply do not believe that such a plan exists. Many, many people have made this claim. None has ever held up.

By "unlimited", I mean not data cap, no throttling, no network management. If you mean something else, then just ignore this.

Simplified

2019 Unity TB
Could you send a link to the T's & C's of this alleged plan? For the reason I have stated, I simply do not believe that such a plan exists. Many, many people have made this claim. None has ever held up.

By "unlimited", I mean not data cap, no throttling, no network management. If you mean something else, then just ignore this.

The Verizon unlimited plan is no longer available. They cut it off last spring. But it was truly unlimited with no throttling.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
The Verizon unlimited plan is no longer available. They cut it off last spring. But it was truly unlimited with no throttling.
Can you point to the Ts&Cs of this no-longer-available plan. My apologies, but I simply don't believe you.

TwoClinks

2016 Unity TB
Talking with the LTV tech last week at Winkler...it's possible that Winegard 2.0 may go obsolete as telecom companies develop 5G. Leaving you with a high priced television antenna attached to your roof.

Natuzzi

Can you point to the Ts&Cs of this no-longer-available plan. My apologies, but I simply don't believe you.
Sorry but Simplified is correct. I looked into the plan at the time but it didn’t meet our needs usage at the time when factoring in $20 vs. $65 per month. Believe it or not, there was such a plan. It was subject to throttling during heavy congestion but how much data congestion is going to occur in the areas where most RV’ers are parked. Several folks on the Leisure Travel Vans Enthusiasts group got in on this deal while it lasted.

Natuzzi

Talking with the LTV tech last week at Winkler...it's possible that Winegard 2.0 may go obsolete as telecom companies develop 5G. Leaving you with a high priced television antenna attached to your roof.
We will all be in the home gumming our food before 5G is operational on a large scale.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Sorry but Simplified is correct. I looked into the plan at the time but it didn’t meet our needs usage at the time when factoring in $20 vs. $65 per month. Believe it or not, there was such a plan. It was subject to throttling during heavy congestion but how much data congestion is going to occur in the areas where most RV’ers are parked. Several folks on the Leisure Travel Vans Enthusiasts group got in on this deal while it lasted.
Yes, I totally believe that. But that is not what Simplified said. He said:

But it was truly unlimited with no throttling.
Such plans do not exist, which is my only point. There are many plans around that are labeled "unlimited", but are in fact throttled.

I am not at all saying that this isn't a good plan--especially for RVers, as you say. But the posted claim is inaccurate. There are many situations where throttling is problematic. But I agree that RVing is generally not one of them.

Simplified

2019 Unity TB

There is a difference between Network Management and throttling. Throttling makes it pretty much useless and occurs in some plans when you go past their 15 or 20 GB limit in a month. Network Management only happens in congested areas and is still at least a useable speed. The Verizon plan was Network Managed.

I don't know where to find the T and C for an expired plan but I studied it carefully back when it was being offered and heard many good reports from those using it.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
There is a difference between Network Management and throttling. Throttling makes it pretty much useless and occurs in some plans when you go past their 15 or 20 GB limit in a month. Network Management only happens in congested areas and is still at least a useable speed. The Verizon plan was Network Managed.

I don't know where to find the T and C for an expired plan but I studied it carefully back when it was being offered and heard many good reports from those using it.
Network management can be just as bad as throttling if the conditions are right. For example, if everybody in a neighborhood dropped their cable modems and FIOS service and switched to G4 (which is exactly what would happen if true "unlimited" plans existed).

I have defined my terms. "Unlimited" as I mean it means, no data limit, no throttling, and no network management. I don't care how the service providers define the term. They are all "limited".

Again, I am not saying that this isn't a great plan for a typical RVer, just that it is not unlimited.

TampaSteve

2018/2019 Unity CB
There is no such thing as a non network managed plan, meaning you could run it 150 Mbps, 24 hours a day, 7 days of week. Not sure how many terabytes a month that is I don't have a calculator handy.

That said, not all network management is created equally. Most plans today are not really unlimited, but have some hard cap beyond which most streaming is impossible, say 22 or 50 GB.

I have 2 sims in my router that are truly unlimited. One is the Verizon $65 prepaid, no longer available. You run at the lowest priority on the cell. That usually means I still get 30-50 Mbps unlimited, as long as the tower is not overloaded in which case I can become deprioritized but certainly not noticeable while streaming video.

The other one is the AT&T prepaid SIM I have is the infamous "ipad" plan, $34.99, unlimited, no throttling, no caps. also subject to "deprioritization". I have a neighbor that uses 100-200 GB every month and runs his whole house with it. I'm sure that violates TOS.

Top Bottom