16" wheels for a 118"

$5pergallon

Sorry for another tire thread but I can't find a straight answer.

Will 225/75 R16 fit on my 118" wheelbase 2006 sprinter.
It currently has 225/70 R15 but they cost $350 each and thats more than
a 16" rim and tire cost together.
I really want to be sure before I pull the trigger.

Thanks

shortshort

Dis member
Yup. I have 235/75 15 tires on my 118 and they JUST fit. You can get 16" tires that pencil out to the same dimensions or smaller (28.9" diameter, 9.6" width). Go bigger at your own risk. Others have and trimmed mudflaps, etc, but those dimensions fit like a condom.

$5pergallon

Thanks for the reply shortshort.
The thing is that the 16" sprinter wheels have the 225/75 R16 tires and the diameter on that is 29.3".
So theres a difference of .4".
I don't understand why it wouldn't fit. Why would they make the wheel well for the 118" different from all the other ones?
Thanks for the help.

sailquik

$5pergallon,
Interesting....
Where are you going to get nice looking (or new 16" T1N wheels) for < $100 each?
Where are you going to get quality D rated tires in the 16" size for < $200 each?
Oh, and you do understand that all 4 wheels and tires + the spare need to be the identical
diameter, right?
You also realize that by up sizing your OEM factory wheels/tires, you may have issues getting
anyone to sell you the tires as they won't match the OEM placard requirements.
You also realize that your speedometer and odometer are going to be affected so that your
speedo will read slower than you are going, and your odometer will read significantly less miles
traveled than you have actually traveled?
Hope this helps,
Roger

$5pergallon

Those are good points sailquik.
I bought the 16" wheels on ebay for $119 each . They are not nice looking but that is not important to me.
I understand that they need to be identical.
My speedo is off anyway as is everybody else's apparently. Never checked the odometer accuracy though but I think that is something I
can live with.
The tire shop I'm talking to quoted me $175 with install for a LT 225/75 R16 with 10ply walls.
The only thing they are worried about is me buying tires that wont fit.
From what I've read on this forum most 118" sprinter are ignoring the OEM factory tire recommendation by getting the 235/75 R15 and I don't blame them at all. $350 per tire? I'm not trying to film a balling rap video.

I still want to know why the 118" wheel size is different from the others.

Thanks

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974

Thanks
You didn't search the message archive hard enough. :bash: :laughing:

The 118" do not have the extra shim spacers that were added to the longer wheelbase models when they started coming from the factory w/ 16" rims. Our little 118" vans ride closer to the ground, and the body is also closer to the frame.

Going by memory, solutions are many: add shims, change springs, run lower profile tires, install air suspension, or even just deal with occasional rubbing. There may be other answers but I didn't feel like searching the forum and reading thru the posts on this topic all over again. HTH. :thumbup:

If you determine an ideal 16" rim solution, I'm all ears. I like the idea of having more tire options to choose from. However, I'm OK with 235/75 R15 tires. As you did learn, the right 235/75 R15 tires work very well, and make the speedo more accurate, not less.

shortshort

Dis member
Those are good points sailquik.
I bought the 16" wheels on ebay for $119 each . They are not nice looking but that is not important to me.
I understand that they need to be identical.
My speedo is off anyway as is everybody else's apparently. Never checked the odometer accuracy though but I think that is something I
can live with.
The tire shop I'm talking to quoted me $175 with install for a LT 225/75 R16 with 10ply walls.
The only thing they are worried about is me buying tires that wont fit.
From what I've read on this forum most 118" sprinter are ignoring the OEM factory tire recommendation by getting the 235/75 R15 and I don't blame them at all. $350 per tire? I'm not trying to film a balling rap video.

Thanks
I run the Maxxis Bravos and pay about $120 a tire. Being slightly loopy I put them on myself and then "buzz" over to Discount Tire and get them balanced for about $25 for all four. A quick look at the parts list will show you what changed on the 16" version. Somebody else has the link to the parts list. With the 28.9" diameter the speedo is very accurate but the odo, which was surprisingly accurate with the stock tire size, will now understate the distance traveled. They could have made the speedo as accurate but were forced to err on the side of caution by big brother.

Edit: If you want to fit a 235/75 15 or a 16" in the spare tire carrier, you will have to let the air out of it and carry a pump.

Last edited:

$5pergallon

Thanks for all the advice everybody.
I ended up putting 16" ex fedex rims with 225/75 R16 tires on.
Good fit and no tire rubbing.
Also makes for a smoother ride.

Attachments

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974
Thanks for all the advice everybody.
I ended up putting 16" ex fedex rims with 225/75 R16 tires on.
Good fit and no tire rubbing.
Also makes for a smoother ride.
No tire rubbing ever? Cool! :clapping: I think the 16" rims do look better.

Can you share what brand and model tires you bought?

and... what's the story on the custom paint job?

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
My 2002 won't fit any bigger than LT225/75 R16 tires (Load Range E, Michelins). The 2002 T1N models were originally all equiped with 15 inch tires. Sometime during the 2002 run the 2500 series 140 WB amd 158 WB models went to 16's. But, without a spacer (that was added in the 2003 2500 series 140 WB and 158 WB), you can't put bigger tires on the 2002's.

The T1N 118 WB always came with 15's. I doubt that the spacer that added for the 2500 series starting in 2003 was ever added, so the LT225/75 R16 tires maybe as big as you can go,

I got my tires at CostCo.

$5pergallon

They are Eldorado sport fury tires.
Load range E.
LT 225/75 R16.
10 ply.
They were the cheapest 10 ply tires and I didn't want to go all out incase they wouldn't fit.

$5pergallon

Oh yes the custom paint job...
My wife turned right with a car in the blind spot and banged up the sliding door so I let my kids have some fun with it.

Top Bottom