E-Bike Fever

glasseye

It's only January, but I got it bad. Have you guys seen this?

OMFG, I want this. It's basically an electric motorcycle, as long as you're happy with 20 mph or so. Twenty inch wheels, front suspension, fat tires, should absolutely go far enough to really get in trouble.

It folds, too; right in front of the battery, which means it'll easily fit crosswise inside Frito's rear doors. Fifty kilometers or so on a battery charge, depending on how hard I pedal and how steep the hills.

A couple of fenders and a rear trunk and I'm gone. :rad:

Two grand, once the smoke clears.:2cents:

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/pages/2019-radmini-step-thru-electric-folding-fat-bike

Last edited:
That's fine if you want to use it on your own property, but they're illegal for use on public roads in many states- you can go to jail.

Aggie

2010 Roadtrek SS Ideal
Looks like a nice bike and I see they have agreement with mobile bicycle service chain Velo Bike for service. However, considering the growth of the e-bicycle sector, will this company be in business or provide parts in two or three years when you need them or is it a $2000 “throw away item” when it gets to that stage ?
My wife recently asked our son, who has worked in the e-bike industry for about 12 years for advice in sourcing an e-bike. His response was unexpectedly vague. First let me say that the business he works for doesn’t sell e-bikes but rather designs and makes parts and accessories for after market conversions of traditional pedal bikes. The business has grown steadily since startup and now sells direct and through a network of independent dealers literally around the world.
He noted that several manufacturers of ready to ride e-bikes have “dissapeared” leaving owners with no parts supplier.
This reminds me of what early automotive owners must have experienced about 100 years ago now.
Something to think about when plopping down your two grand.

TheHerd

You can ride a (class 1) e-bike almost everywhere you can ride a regular bike. Each state is a little different.
http://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/state-electric-bicycle-laws-a-legislative-primer.aspx

If your serious about an e-bike, I would personally recommend looking at a Specialized. They are about a year ahead in development of all the other major brands. The seamless Brose motor comes with a 2 year warranty. Class 1 ebikes:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/shop/bikes/turbo-e-bikes-its-you-only-faster/c/ebikes

glasseye

You can ride a (class 1) e-bike almost everywhere you can ride a regular bike. Each state is a little different.
Thanks, TheHerd. That was my understanding, too.

If your serious about an e-bike, I would personally recommend looking at a Specialized. They are about a year ahead in development of all the other major brands. The seamless Brose motor comes with a 2 year warranty. Class 1 ebikes:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/shop/bikes/turbo-e-bikes-its-you-only-faster/c/ebikes
Thanks again. While undoubtedly more advanced tech, those Specialized bikes are a totally different animal from what I've linked to above. My use case requires "sit up straight" posture (I'm old) some degree of cargo transport and off-pavement capability.
FWIW, I've owned a Specialized Rockhopper for years.

Last edited:

canyoneer

2017 144 High Roof
http://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/state-electric-bicycle-laws-a-legislative-primer.aspx

Agreed, I've got a Specialized Turbo Levo Expert and love it. But the only reason I got it was to be able to ride serious mountain bike trails and be able to keep up with friends who race regular mountain bikes. I can train with them and keep up, for as long as a 45 mile ride if I keep it at about 10-15% power.

But if I just wanted a bike for street riding, and occasional off-road trails, I'd go with a Rad bike. I have several friends who have Rad Rover bikes and love them. One was even able to do Slickrock, Steel Bender, and Poison Spider in Moab with us.

One note on the fenders for the Rad bikes, though, they have all removed them. Don't even bother. They rattle, bounce, and are just useless, unless you plan stay on pavement or do some pretty significant mods to them to get them to work.

Last edited:

Jakelake

I have two Rad Bikes, the folding Rad Mini model and the Rad City. The fold up goes in the back of my Sprinter and the City mounts to the bike rack on the back of the Van along with my Traditional Mountain bike. My wife and I have used the E bikes in several different cities, Park City Utah, Salt Lake City, Moab Utah, Boise Idaho, McCall Idaho, and we have never been arrested. If you are concerned about legalities you can remove the battery, takes about 10 seconds, and put it in your backpack. Then ride it like a regular bike. It has 7 gears and works just like a normal bike. If it's illegal to ride a regular bike than it's probably illegal for an E bike. I paid $1500 each for the bikes and that included shipping. My mountain Bike cost $4500 so I consider the Rad Bike a bargain. ( I think there was a price increase in the last few months.) The bikes are nicely designed and constructed. I have ridden them on trails, roads, and bike paths. They are great for a quick trip to the store when the van is set up in a camp area and you don't want to repack for a grocery store run.

Jakelake

As an additional note. In Park City, Utah it is not illegal to ride an E bike on mountain bike trails but The Mountain Trails Foundation, which has developed several hundred miles of single track trails in Park City, has requested E bikes stay off the trails. I only ride my regular mountain bike on the trail system here. I live in Park City and personally don't care if someone passes me on an E bike but the problem Mountain Trails Foundation has with E bikes is that rental facilities in town will rent to people who don't understand bike trail etiquette and ride in places that their physical capabilities and expertise level would not normally allow them to go. These people can, and have, injured themselves and others. I'm all for getting out on the trails and exercising as much as possible, and yes, riding an E bike will still get your heart rate up, but there are always a few that will cause problems and ruin it for everyone. I have yet to see any peace officers on the trails writing tickets and making people get off their E bikes, but, as I said, it's not illegal.

Matt Foley

Down by The River
As an additional note. In Park City, Utah it is not illegal to ride an E bike on mountain bike trails but The Mountain Trails Foundation, which has developed several hundred miles of single track trails in Park City, has requested E bikes stay off the trails. I only ride my regular mountain bike on the trail system here. I live in Park City and personally don't care if someone passes me on an E bike but the problem Mountain Trails Foundation has with E bikes is that rental facilities in town will rent to people who don't understand bike trail etiquette and ride in places that their physical capabilities and expertise level would not normally allow them to go. These people can, and have, injured themselves and others. I'm all for getting out on the trails and exercising as much as possible, and yes, riding an E bike will still get your heart rate up, but there are always a few that will cause problems and ruin it for everyone. I have yet to see any peace officers on the trails writing tickets and making people get off their E bikes, but, as I said, it's not illegal.
Yea, but did you ever stop to think that the reason that you never saw police writing tickets for them is because riding an e-bike will get you arrested and thrown straight into jail?!

I have it on one forum member's clear and present authority that the bowels of every county jail and every prison in the land are currently filled to capacity with terroristic e-bike riders who would not get off of his lawn.

:smirk:

Can you electorate on this legislation? Where are those prohibited? And why?
Where? Which state? I see them all the time on the streets here in California. And Jail? Like as serious as driving drunk?

Thanks, Gary
Each state has their own laws. Depending on the wattage, they can be considered mopeds, motor scooters, or motorcycles. You are required to have a motorcycle license to operate e-bikes on public roads in several states (to include Alabama and Alaska) of ANY wattage. Operating one on public roads without a motorcycle license, in a state that requires a motorcycle license, even if you have a regular driver's license, is the criminal offense of driving without a valid license. And yes, you can get arrested and go to jail for it.

At least one state also requires insurance, which you aren't going to be able to get.

And numerous states require safety equipment inspections that e-bikes are incapable of passing, so even though they are not specifically outlawed in and of themselves, you're never going to be able to legally use one on public roadways.

http://peopleforbikes.org/our-work/...MI2Orupbfa3wIVMxh9Ch0IVQXHEAAYASAAEgI0_PD_BwE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws#State_requirements_for_use

And keep in mind that DUI laws are enforceable even on private property, so if, for example, you were staying in a private campground and used your e-bike to get to the bathroom after having some wine with dinner, you could end up going to jail for DUI.

In Alabama, an e-bike is defined as a “motor-driven cycle.” E-bike riders must carry a motorcycle operator’s license and are subject to registration requirements. E-bikes are not subject to insurance requirements. However, Alabama's Department of Motor Vehicles does not recognize e-bikes as vehicles with these requirements and has no system for supplying registration and licensing. Therefore, riding an electric bicycle in Alabama is illegal. Helmets are required and there is a 14 year age minimum for e-bike use. E-bikes are not allowed on sidewalks and bike paths.
In Alaska, an e-bike is defined as a “motor-driven cycle.” E-bike riders must carry a motorcycle operator’s license. There is a 14 year age minimum for e-bike use. E-bikes are not allowed on sidewalks and bike paths.
In Delaware, an e-bike is defined as a “bicycle,” so long as the e-bike’s motor is under 750w, has a maximum speed of 20mph and has operable pedals.
In Florida, an e-bike is defined as a “bicycle,” so long as it is capable of being propelled by human power and has a maximum speed of 20mph.
In Georgia, an e-bike is defined as an “electric assisted bicycle,” so long as the e-bike’s motor is under 1,000w, has a maximum speed of 20mph, and has operable pedals. Helmets are required and there is a 15 year age minimum for e-bike use. E-bikes are allowed on bike paths, but may not be used on sidewalks.
In Hawaii, an e-bike is defined as a “moped.” E-bike riders must carry an operator’s license and are subject to registration requirements. However, Hawaii's Department of Motor Vehicles does not recognize e-bikes as vehicles with these requirements and has no system for supplying registration and licensing. Therefore, riding an electric bicycle in Hawaii is illegal. Helmets are required for operators under 18 years of age. There is a 15 year age minimum for e-bike use. E-bikes are not allowed on sidewalks.
In Idaho, an e-bike is defined as a “moped.” E-bike riders must carry an operator’s license.
In Illinois, an e-bike is defined as a “low-speed electric bicycle,” so long as the e-bike’s motor is under 750w, has a maximum speed of 20mph and has operable pedals. There is a 16 year age minimum for e-bike use. E-bikes are not allowed on sidewalks.
In Indiana, an e-bike is defined as a “class b motor driven cycle.” E-bikes are subject to licensing and registration requirements. However, Indiana's Department of Motor Vehicles does not recognize e-bikes as vehicles with these requirements and has no system for supplying licensing and registration. Therefore, riding an electric bicycle in Indiana is illegal. Helmets are required for operators under 18 years of age and there is a 15 year age minimum for e-bike use. E-bikes are not allowed on sidewalks.
In Iowa, an e-bike is defined as a “bicycle,” so long as the e-bike’s motor is under 750w, has a maximum speed of 20mph and has operable pedals.
In Kansas, an e-bike is defined as an “electric assisted bicycle,” so long as the e-bike’s motor is under 1,000w, has a maximum speed of 20mph and has operable pedals.
In Louisiana, an e-bike is defined as a “motorized bicycle” so long as its maximum speed is 25mph. E-bike riders must carry an operator’s license and are subject to registration requirements. However, Louisiana Department of Motor Vehicles does not recognize e-bikes as vehicles with these requirements and has no system for supplying licensing and registration. Therefore, riding an electric bicycle in Louisiana is illegal. Helmets are required during operation, and there is a 15 year age minimum for e-bike use. E-bikes are not allowed on sidewalks.
In Maine, an e-bike is defined as a “motorized bicycle” so long as its maximum speed is 25mph. E-bike riders must carry an operator’s license and are subject to registration requirements. However, Maine's Department of Motor Vehicles does not recognize e-bikes as vehicles with these requirements and has no system for supplying licensing and registration. Therefore, riding an electric bicycle in Maine is illegal. Helmets are required for riders under 16 years of age, and there is a 16 year age minimum for e-bike operation.
In Maryland, an e-bike is defined as an “electric assisted bicycle,” so long as the e-bike’s motor is 500w or less, has a maximum speed of 20mph and has operable pedals. E-bikes are not allowed on sidewalks.
In Massachusetts, an e-bike is defined as a “motorized bicycle” as long as its maximum speed is 25mph. E-bike riders must carry an operator’s license and are subject to registration requirements. Helmets are required, and there is a 16 year age minimum for e-bike use. E-bikes are not allowed on sidewalks or bike paths.

Last edited:

glasseye

Operating one on public roads without a motorcycle license, in a state that requires a motorcycle license, even if you have a regular driver's license, is the criminal offense of driving without a valid license. And yes, you can get arrested and go to jail for it.
I should be okay. I've held a motorcycle license since 1962 and have no desire whatsoever to ride in Alabama. :rad:

Last edited:

GaryJ

Here since 2006
E-Bikes. Another good reason to live in California. Liberal works in many ways.

Gary

Jakelake

I plan on riding my E bike in every one of those illegal States except Alabama and Hawaii. My Sprinter can't make it to Hawaii and I have been to Alabama, once. I will be sure to update the forum on my jail experience in all the states that arrest me for E bike riding.

Most e-bike operators that I encounter, are people who's driver's license is suspended for DUI. They buy e-bikes as a way to try to get away with continuing to using a motorized vehicle on public roads. The methed-out tweakers that sell e-bikes off of Craigslist know this, and sell them as a way to get away with operating a motorized vehicle on a public roadway without a driver's license. They're not hard to spot- a fat guy in street clothes, "ghost-pedaling" uphill at 30 mph while smoking a cigarette sort of stands out.

When the state suspended their driver's license for DUI, they were told by his or her honor that this is the state's way of communicating to them that from now on, they are what we commonly refer to in layman's terms as "pedestrians", and that their transportation is what they lace onto their feet every morning. Most states also have minimum sentencing guidelines (that the judge has no authority to reduce) regarding operating a motorized vehicle on public roadways with a license suspended for DUI. So a Go-Ped, e-bike, motorized skateboard, battery-powered Razor scooter, or any other motorized form of transportation on public roads (including sidewalks and public roadway shoulders), can get them 30 days in jail.

Last edited:

Top Bottom