Varta Battery Origin-stamped on Neg. Post

I drained the battery on my 2012 Sprinter because I wanted to start packing for a trip to Maine with frozen green chile and I do not yet have a 30 amp plug to hook up my shore power. And I did not want to run my propane Generator. So I had my propane fridge running and I did not realize that it would drain my chassis battery. I have ended up removing the battery and I will have it checked today. But I wanted to know if it was the original battery or had been replaced at some time before I bought the Sprinter in April. On another website, I found out that the date of origin for the Varta battery is stamped on the Neg. post of the battery. In my case there is the number 21 for the week of origin and then 12 for the year of origin.

And I will find out later if my generator will charge the battery if I end up putting this one back in. Roger

Davydd

You don’t need 30A to charge your battery. Use a 30a to 15a adapter and plug in any regular household outlet.

I have a 30 to 15 dog bone adapter, but even with that, I trip a breaker every time I try to hook up my shore power. At an RV dealer, they were able to hook up the shore power and my electrician was able to hook it up without any problem when he created a 30 amp connection. So I am waiting for him to create a permanent connection that I will be able to hook up to. But I am actually more concerned about whether there is still life in my battery that is now seven years old. Roger

glas1700

I have a 30 to 15 dog bone adapter, but even with that, I trip a breaker every time I try to hook up my shore power. At an RV dealer, they were able to hook up the shore power and my electrician was able to hook it up without any problem when he created a 30 amp connection. So I am waiting for him to create a permanent connection that I will be able to hook up to. But I am actually more concerned about whether there is still life in my battery that is now seven years old. Roger
Turn off all of the breakers in your converter, then connect to shore power. If it still trips the shore power breaker, your adapter or wiring is bad. If not, switch on the main breaker in the converter and then switch on each of the other breakers to check for a short. Some 15A to 30A adapters are poorly made and can short internally.

You should be able to run the converter to recharge your coach battery, but it usually wont recharge chassis (starting) battery without a device like a Trik-L-Start.

Top Bottom