Sprinter 4x4 Wheels

tegan_ca

Build Planning
Put on the Hankook ATM 235/85/R16 . Great so far, quieter than the stock Vanco four seasons. Only a couple hundred miles so far on them. Will be heading for a trip next week so should get some various terrain miles on them.

TaoOfWoo

Put on the Hankook ATM 235/85/R16 . Great so far, quieter than the stock Vanco four seasons. Only a couple hundred miles so far on them. Will be heading for a trip next week so should get some various terrain miles on them.
Any clearance issues? What year and type sprinter? Lifted? I am thinking of LT235/85r16 hankook ipike winters on stock wheels. 2016 2500 bone stock no lift

TaoOfWoo

Any clearance issues? What year and type sprinter? Lifted? I am thinking of LT235/85r16 hankook ipike winters on stock wheels. 2016 2500 bone stock no lift

235 85 16 hankook ipike fit with no clearance issues, turning lock to lock. About 1" to front strut and front plastic

Chad L.

Checking back in after I received the Black Rhino Warlords today. Took them to the tire shop and had them mounted with BFG 275/70/17s. Mounted up really well with the exception that the wheel studs that carid.com sent with them were indeed the wrong size. After calling them three different times (before everything arrived and after the studs showed up) and them assuring me they were sending the correct lugs I still ended up with 45mm lengths. My local tire shop that I have done a ton of business with (Discount Tire) told me they had no idea why they would send that length. The correct length for these rims are as Monsterdood said, 35MM, the shop said 30/35MM would work. Luckily my tire guys had a set of what we needed on hand and were able to make everything work. Not sure why Black Rhino has such a disconnect but if you decide to run these rims you need to insist that they send the 14x1.5 with a 30-35mm stud length. At the end of the day they look pretty bad ass and have zero clearance issues. Van is starting to look a little less like a cargo van.

Edit* Per a couple requests here are the exact tire wheel and lug bolt specs.

Wheels are Black Rhino Warlords 17" X 8"
Lugs Bolts to mount correctly are GOR 14x1.5 BLTSTD 30mm CL ZN 5L From Discount tire these are hardware Lug Bolt Kit 17019SDZ-20D
Tires BFG All Terrain K02 size 275/70R17

Vehichle is a stock 2017 MB Sprinter cargo 4x4 144" wheel base.

Attachments

Last edited:

tegan_ca

Build Planning
Tires did really well on a trip that went from 75MPH freeway to Berdoo Canyon going out of Joshua Tree. Got in a bit of a tight spot in Berdoo but just required a different steering direction to pop out.

None. Plenty of room on bone stock alloys 2500.

archermvp

In case anybody prefers the standard width using these wheels I can confirm the proper bolts are: R14 ball seat - 14 x 1.5 - 45mm shank.
I actually just ended up ordering that same set of wheels for my 2017 4x4 Crew Van to use as my winter set and have been similarly having some difficult sourcing the proper spec lug bolts.

I have a few questions, if you don't mind:

1) Any idea if they had to be a special narrow diameter head to fit with the aftermarket wheels?

2) Since the Toils leave the bolt heads visible - were you by chance able to find them in chrome or black so they'd look nicer?

3) Any recollection where you ordered yours from or if you'd have a link?

4) I've seen a lot of people claiming the threaded section needs to 50-55mm for aluminum wheels, making the total bolt length similar to the stock "74mm bolt" for aluminum wheels supplied by the dealer. But if you feel the 45mm shank has been the ticket them I suppose I'll trust your experience!

Thank you so much for letting me pick your brain about this!

Factory order not due until May/June. Ordered without factory aluminum wheels. Will likely go with 17in. Methods or Moto metal 0970's in black. Have read the entire thread and have a question for the collective wisdom. Notice very little inclination for folks to stay with factory diameters / widths when upsizing the wheels. From tire size calculators it appears that LT 245/70r 17 is the straight across conversion for the stock LT 245/75r16 yet very few opt that way in here. A little wider might be nice but when I plug 265 into the calculator the overall diameter goes up as well, throwing the calibrations off. I'm going with both dedicated winters and a set of AT's and will sell the stock wheels and tires. Just looking for input on sticking with stock diameters using 17in wheels vs a LT265/70r17. As I type this I'm thinking maybe 245's for the winter wheels and 265's for the off season. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks

err

Just looking for input on sticking with stock diameters using 17in wheels vs a LT265/70r17. As I type this I'm thinking maybe 245's for the winter wheels and 265's for the off season. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks
EDIT - I just re-read your post and realized you were asking about tire diameters, not wheel diameters. You can go on up to a 33" tire with no clearance issues as long as you go no wider than a 265. I'll leave my below comments on 17's vs 16's.

You're on to something here. In the context of Sprinters, 17's are for looks, 16's are for performance unless you are going to 35's. These vans ride really rough out of the box and the major contributing factor is the lack of tire sidewall. 17's just amplify the problem. It's near to impossible to get a vehicle designed to carry heavy loads to ride comfortably without adding tire sidewall height. If I were you, I'd go to 255/85/r16's for your AT and then find a nice winter tire in 16" as well.

The only case where moving to a 17' wheel makes sense from a performance standpoint is if you are going to 35's + Van Compass lift.

And, because I know it will come up, no upgrading your suspension will not help with smooth out all the little imperfections in the road nearly as much as tire sidewall unless you give up load capacity. Suspension upgrades will add control and reduce sway. Tire sidewall (and appropriate tire pressures) will improve ride comfort, traction, and all-around performance.

Oh and the steel wheels look great IMO, paint/powder them black if that's your thing.

Last edited:

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
EDIT - I just re-read your post and realized you were asking about tire diameters, not wheel diameters. You can go on up to a 33" tire with no clearance issues as long as you go no wider than a 265. I'll leave my below comments on 17's vs 16's.
i mean

You are wrong, but i wont tell you that

I have a 285-75-16 on my 17 and ZERO rubbing

err

i mean

You are wrong, but i wont tell you that

I have a 285-75-16 on my 17 and ZERO rubbing
I believe you (kinda). I stuck with a conservative number since I didn't get into offsets and other factors. I put my van into situations offroad that most don't so my standard for "no rubbing" might be a bit different than for others.

Or I might just be full of myself :laughing:

Just thought that 17 in wheels would look better on the 4x4 so started down that road. Like the look of black aluminums but can change my mind before the van goes to the assembly line and go with the factory alum wheels. Your explanation of the effect on ride quality is the type of feedback I'm looking for, thank you! Based on that I'm still leaning towards 17 in. Wheels but with 265/70 and live with the speedo offset.

I went with the OEM wheels and found a nice set of aftermarket wheels to run in the summer. For me, the price wasn't worth buying the alloys to use in the winter.

OEM Steelies are also 16" diameter.

The focus for my build is as much on building a rolling ski accommodation as for a summer touring van. Up here the winter wheels are on for 50% of the year, don't want ugly steelies for that long. Might go with Methods for summer and Moto Metals for winter. figure if I cross border shop using my Scottish heritage, skirt sales tax at the border (wife will have to use her exemptions on van stuff, not wine), Pirate ideas from the Internet, and DIY my build, I'll be happy with the outcome and still have good value. If I sell the stock wheels and tires I shouldn't be out too much.

The focus for my build is as much on building a rolling ski accommodation as for a summer touring van. Up here the winter wheels are on for 50% of the year, don't want ugly steelies for that long. Might go with Methods for summer and Moto Metals for winter. figure if I cross border shop using my Scottish heritage, skirt sales tax at the border (wife will have to use her exemptions on van stuff, not wine), Pirate ideas from the Internet, and DIY my build, I'll be happy with the outcome and still have good value. If I sell the stock wheels and tires I shouldn't be out too much.
Hey Neighbour!

Oh c'mon! They don't look that bad!

Nice van! your right they aren't terrible, I just have a little quirk about not red heading my winter wheels cuz I love Snow, ice and winter sports. I will put a Steelie on for a spare and do without A/C to justify spending $2000 on two sets of aluminum wheels. This baby is going to be a snow goer!

MotoXPress

After extensive testing, we choose the Falken Wildpeak in 265/75 16 ( keeping in mind that in Quebec we are not able to legally run over size tires )
That's the tire I want to use as well. Did you mount them on the stock 6.5" rims, do they fit? Any pics?

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
Factory order not due until May/June. Ordered without factory aluminum wheels. Will likely go with 17in. Methods or Moto metal 0970's in black. Have read the entire thread and have a question for the collective wisdom. Notice very little inclination for folks to stay with factory diameters / widths when upsizing the wheels. From tire size calculators it appears that LT 245/70r 17 is the straight across conversion for the stock LT 245/75r16 yet very few opt that way in here. A little wider might be nice but when I plug 265 into the calculator the overall diameter goes up as well, throwing the calibrations off. I'm going with both dedicated winters and a set of AT's and will sell the stock wheels and tires. Just looking for input on sticking with stock diameters using 17in wheels vs a LT265/70r17. As I type this I'm thinking maybe 245's for the winter wheels and 265's for the off season. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks
Why not use the stockers for Winter wear, and get the custom wheels for fun and games?
I guess I am just cheap. I ordered my Revel with factory steelies (Black).

OffroadHamster

If you know the weights front and rear, you can go to page 22 for a chart to give you a starting place.

https://toyo-arhxo0vh6d1oh9i0c.stac...ication_of_load_inflation_tables_20170203.pdf
That is incorrect.

They are talking about permissible load and N2 design loads. Meaning, required psi for MAXIMUM design load at a specific load range (C, D, E ) You will not achieve optimal tire wear going off of that chart in the way you are trying to interpret it.

My van has 4300lbs over the back axle, that chart would put me at 35 psi for my tire size. At 55psi I have inner and out edge wear in the back (under inflated for load). I need to push my rears to 65psi to get even wear, which that chart would "suggest" (using your interpretation to select based on your axle weights to select pressure and not the other way around) I dont need until I add another 2000lbs.

Put simpler, that chart is giving you the max carrying capacity of specific size and load range tires and the pressure required at max carrying capacity. It is not possible to interpolate between pressures because the load specification is also changing. Those are Load limits at various pressures, but also notice the load index changes, ie not the same tire.

I hope that is clear.

A good place to start is 40-45psi for the front of the van. The weight of the front of the van doesnt change much. If you have a very heavy van bump them to 50. I have a very heavy van and run 45psi in the front.

An unloaded van 40-45psi rear. If you have 1000lbs back there push it to 50-55. If you have 2000+ lbs back there push it to 60-65.

Any recommendations on tire pressure? I am running the BFG Ko2 /moto metal rim 245/70R/17.
Thanks
Those are E load tires. In that size you should do well with my above recommendations. K02s run well at slightly lower pressures than their AT brethren as they have VERY stiff sidewalls. You may do ok 5psi below my recommendations.

Last edited:

Top Bottom