How to Upload Pictures

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Might be a problem with compatability with Safari(Apple).
That would certainly be an easy guess...

You can download a number of other browsers and do the same test... if you find that the (free) "market leaders" also cannot upload photos, it's not Safari at fault.
Otherwise... well...

Among the many Mac-compatible browsers are: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox,
and those listed here (just for starters): http://blog.triphp.com/reviews/products/10-of-the-best-web-browsers-for-mac.html
You could also check out the ones listed here: http://download.cnet.com/mac/web-browsers/

You could just use a 3rd party browser for the forum, or you could wonder what else Safari is impeding...

--dick (who recently retired from supporting many Macs as well as Windows and Linux systems.
It was always a problem to convince Mac users that they were not being well-served by being all-Apple,
but they'd eventually hit some wall (like this) and have to muddy their desktops. (Safari's built-in PDF viewer failures were the usual trigger).
Me? I run Windows out of convenience/need to run specific Win-only applications. I haven't yet turned on my Mac this year.
But i *do* have four browsers installed: Firefox (my usual), IntExp (used primarily for banking), Chrome (for videos: Firefox and Flash occasionally have hissy-fits), Safari (for testing website issues. Safari frequently has issues with generated or client-side content).

IPAD test upload
IMG_0137.JPG
Great Ocean Road

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0106.PNG
Success at last
Turns out it was the ipad that wasn't compatible, turned on the PC (also Apple ) and five pictures are worth 5000 words.
Thanks everyone for your help.
May you all have a merry Christmas and a happy new year

Last edited by a moderator:

notnowgus

Could someone please help me understand why my photos are saved on my computer right-side-up, but when I upload them to my thread, they post upside-down?
Thanks

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
The easiest thing to do is to take your pictures one way. I forget whether it's horizontally or vertically. I believe it's horizontal with the lens on the left side.

Otherwise, you will need to strip the code found in the image file that causes the browser to orient it not right side up.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Otherwise, you will need to strip the code found in the image file that causes the browser to orient it not right side up.
... or take them "upside down" (i.e. invert the phone)

Some phones/cameras allow you to set whether or not the photo "metadata" includes information derived from the phone's gravity sensor.

--dick

Jodean

Let's say you're in Paint. Click on Image, Attributes (Cntrl-E). With your file, it should read Width=1296 and Height=972.

The forum is set to a Maximum width of 900 pixels. To decrease your 1296 value or any value, divide the number by 900. For example, 900 / 1296 = 0.694 (0.694 * 100 = 69.4%). Go back to Paint and click on Image, Stretch/Skew (Cntrl-W). In BOTH the Horizontal & Vertical boxes, enter 69. Hit OK or Return. Paint will resize your image to some 900 width value or lower.
how about just click on pixels instead of percentage and change the larger one to 900???

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
For you Mac users:
An easy way to resize images in OSX is to open it in the PREVIEW app. In the TOOLS menu, there is an item "Adjust size..." which does the job.
--Pete

GaryJ

Here since 2006
I could use a little help in discovering an easy way to resize photos from an iPad for posting on this forum. The search block didn't turn up anything specific to iPad. I asked in another thread, but no reply, and I'm just sure sombody has the answer out there, so I'm asking again here.

Thanks, Gary

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
I could use a little help in discovering an easy way to resize photos from an iPad for posting on this forum. The search block didn't turn up anything specific to iPad. I asked in another thread, but no reply, and I'm just sure sombody has the answer out there, so I'm asking again here.
There is no really good way to do this without downloading a 3rd party app. There are several hacks, though, that work ok. The best one is to use the "sharing" button to email the photo to yourself. In doing so, you have the option to resize the images being mailed.

Lighthawk

I'm still trying to learn a way, any way, to insert an actual image into the post.

I'm used to another forum where you can insert a BBC code and the picture will be visible! Easy.
Or, I can upload my images to that site, and insert them again, and the picture will be visible!

Here on SS, I can only see ways to insert a link to a photo. I find that to be less desirable.
I also notice when I am reading other posts that I either click a link which may launch a new window, or leaves SS to go to the image.
Then I need to pay attention to whether I back arrow to return or close the tab. Clunky set up, IMHO.

Can someone help me learn how actual images can be posted?
I am a photographer and used to managing attachments, but this one has me stumped.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Can someone help me learn how actual images can be posted?
I am a photographer and used to managing attachments, but this one has me stumped.
Step One: at the bottom of the "quick reply" box are two buttons: "Post Quick Reply" and "Go Advanced"

Click the "Go Advanced", and you're brought to a more fully-featured edit screen.
(animated smileys on the right, more buttons on top)

On the top set of icons, click the PAPERCLIP icon, which will bring up another small window that is the "browse box" for up to five included/attached files (including photos).
The size limits are listed below the button area.

First you use the BROWSE buttons to identify the photos you want to add,
then (finally, or mid-way) click the UPLOAD button to get them eaten by the forum.
If any of the files don't meet the criteria (more than 900 pixels wide, or too large) this is when it will complain.

(once they've been accepted, you can close the Browse box)((note its ability to Remove uploads if you wish))
---
Now that they're loaded to the server, return to the posting edit window, and click in it to place the cursor where you want the image inserted.
Now click the drop-arrow next to the paperclip.
You'll get the list of uploaded files/photos.
Click the one you want *there* and the mark-up for the insertion will appear in the message.

Any uploaded photos you do NOT assign a specific placement for will be attached at the bottom of your posting when you click "Submit Reply" below the edit box.

When you click the drop-arrow next to the paperclip, one of the choices is "Manage Attachments" ... clicking that brings up the browse box again (handy for changing photos if you edit your message after initially posting it)

--dick
p.s. the first posting in this very thread has an illustrated example: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467

p.p.s. the files you upload can be accessed through your Control Panel: on the forum's top Blue Bar, click User CP, and "attachments" are at the bottom of the left-margin choice list.
The Control Panel menu also (further up) has a "pictures and albums" feature that lets you post photos *there*, for later use in messages, thus getting around the "five attachments per message" (and 900 pixels, i think) limitations.
Note that very wide images (beyond 1000 pixels) make reading your posting slightly difficult.

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
IF you are not seeing *any* images when you're reading postings, that means that your Control Panel settings for "show images" is not turned on.

You should see my attached avatar image here:
av1.jpg
(above this line)

At the User CP, choose "Edit Options" from the left-margin menu, then scroll down to the "Thread Display Options" section.
In there is a tick-box to choose "Show Images (including attached images and images in code)"

--dick

Last edited:

Lighthawk

Super writeup autostaretx! I understand how to upload, although I usually export images wider than 900px wide. So, I can downsize my usual Lightroom exports.

But, how can I link images from my Smugmug account? I've tried inserting the whole URL using the picture icon in the Advanced Mode and it doesn't work.
example:

Bonus points if you can tell me how I can share a pdf off my Dropbox account.
:thinking:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Super writeup autostaretx! I understand how to upload, although I usually export images wider than 900px wide. So, I can downsize my usual Lightroom exports.

But, how can I link images from my Smugmug account? I've tried inserting the whole URL using the picture icon in the Advanced Mode and it doesn't work.
example:

Have you tried that URL yourself in a browser's location bar?

The *problem* is that that URL does not respond with a simple JPEG image... it returns an active *page*.
And the forum's IMG tag does not handle that. (nor should it)

You posted (expanded so it's visible)
http: // www. lighthawkphoto .com/ Other/Exploration-vehicles/Sprinter-4wd/i-n6LSrPz/A

If i chop off everything after the "4wd" ... it works.
OK... it doesn't "work" as an individual image, but it does drop me onto your SmugMug page
(markup change from IMG to URL)
Example:
http://www.lighthawkphoto.com/Other/Exploration-vehicles/Sprinter-4wd

(and when i viewed it, LightHawkPhoto's website added "/i-t4H86L8/A" as the trailing characters)

Have you ever managed to provide a link to a *single image* to someone (say, via email) that worked?
(an image, not a *page* (with the marginal "next image" arrows, etc)

If i click on one of your SmugMug images, it opens an *active page*, not a single JPG file.

BUT .... if, on the "index" page, i choose (from Firefox's right-click menu) "copy IMAGE location", then i get this:

which worked. (as a "postcard" (linked, not attached) image)
That expanded to:
HTML:
https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Exploration-vehicles/Sprinter-4wd/i-G769z3c/0/S/2016-10-06%2015.43.33-S.jpg
If i click on an image on the Index page, and then do the "copy IMAGE location" at the full-sized page, i can do:

which was
HTML:
https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Exploration-vehicles/Sprinter-4wd/i-dPCH9n9/0/XL/2016-10-16%2014.11.43-XL.jpg
... given to the "postcard" prompt.

Bonus points if you can tell me how I can share a pdf off my Dropbox account.
:thinking:
Provide a URL that works, and i'll try.
It would be as simple as putting a [ URL ] and [ / URL ] around the URL.
(without the spaces)

--dick (it's all in the wrist action... :cheers:)

Last edited:

Top Bottom