Ducato spotted in Lincoln NE

blakej59

wonder what the timing is for this Sprinter competitor? Anyone know details of this van? Knew it was coming but surprised to see it on the streets of Lincoln NE last Saturday. Driver was in a hurry. Wish I could have captured a front shot for ya'all.

2007 144" CDI Low Top.

EFM1

EFM1
Can wait for Daily to come out. Much better then Sprinter. More cargo capacity (sprinter is 3.5 where daily max is 7t) and WAY less issues. I spoke with many drivers in Europe and many say that Sprinters are good vans but constantly have issues where Daily is very solid. All we need now is MANUAL transmission :cheers:

NYC SPRINTERS

Can wait for Daily to come out. Much better then Sprinter. More cargo capacity (sprinter is 3.5 where daily max is 7t) and WAY less issues. I spoke with many drivers in Europe and many say that Sprinters are good vans but constantly have issues where Daily is very solid. All we need now is MANUAL transmission :cheers:
i love to see daily too but i dont thing they are comming here with daily!!! only ducato and watch them stick it with auto transmission with no choise to have manual!!!

EFM1

EFM1
NO ONE... i think chrysler just made a deal with UPS to test them before selling them to the public

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
DSC01558 (Custom).JPG
Iveco 7 Metric Tonne SV order.
DSC00403 (Custom).JPG
DSC00401 (Custom).JPG
The last two photos Fiat Ducato as shown, are not a 7Metric Tonne unit.
3500Kg front wheel drive

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
It looks quite functional. It also looks a lot like the body form of similar vehicles (Sprinter or Ford Transit van). Businesses want functionality, reliability and economy. From what others have commented, the Ducato may be available with higher load capacity than others in its class - that's a solid sell point for them. I welcome competition.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Seen on May 12th in Lincoln NE. Note the Michigan Manufacturer plates.
Michigan... interesting.

source:

http://www.inautonews.com/chrysler-to-build-ducato-van-in-mexico

Chrysler Group will expand its current plant in Saltillo, Mexico, to accommodate the production of the Fiat Ducato commercial van under the Ram brand.

The Ram version of the Italian van will be sold in North America from 2013. Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne said that the expansion of the Saltillo plant will make it “the center for production of light-commercial vehicles in North America for us.” Although the size of the investment hasn’t yet been made public, company sources told Automotive News it was expected to be about $500 million.

Chrysler already has a truck assembly plant, a stamping plant and two engine plants in Saltillo, located about 180 miles southwest of Laredo, Texas. The front-wheel-drive Fiat Ducato commercial van shares its platform with the Peugeot Boxer in Europe. “It’s designed perfectly to try and deal with the market segment here in the United States, so we think it will grow,” Marchionne said.

Ram currently offers a modified version of the Dodge Grand Caravan, called the Ram C/V, as a commercial cargo van, but it lacks a full-sized commercial van. In the DaimlerChrysler days, Ram offered the Sprinter. Ram sold only 691 units of the C/V in 2011, while Ford sold 91,305 units of the Econoline van and 31,914 units of the Transit Connect
The Transit Connect outsold the commercialized Grand Caravan 46 to 1.... (I'm so surprised). If you worked for Chrysler on the Ram C/V, how demoralizing would that be to know that Ford's smallest commercial offering out sold your product by nearly 50 to 1 in 2011? I'm not sure I could get out of bed in the morning if my job involved the Ram C/V.

-Jon

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I would expect the Ducato styling to be revised before they throw a Rams head on the front of it so the look should change.

The existing Ford Connect would sell in higher volume if they were to offer a diesel and manual transmission. If it got 40 mpg instead 22/27 mpg then sales would increase. The manual transmission is not as important as the mileage.

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
Michigan... interesting.
The Transit Connect outsold the commercialized Grand Caravan 46 to 1.... (I'm so surprised). If you worked for Chrysler on the Ram C/V, how demoralizing would that be to know that Ford's smallest commercial offering out sold your product by nearly 50 to 1 in 2011? I'm not sure I could get out of bed in the morning if my job involved the Ram C/V.
-Jon
Jon, getting out of bed in 2012 with a viable job is an achievement.

MB offers us a unique product.
In 5 years I have yet to see a viable Sprinter replacement.
Nissan's updated Econoline and Ford's Transit Connect are both good products serving a niche.
I can't imagine what Dodge/Fiat customer service means, Ford service depends on the dealership and the tech, sound familiar?
Just mark me down for not yet exited.

EFM1

EFM1

MB offers us a unique product.
In 5 years I have yet to see a viable Sprinter replacement.
Nissan's updated Econoline and Ford's Transit Connect are both good products serving a niche.
I can't imagine what Dodge/Fiat customer service means, Ford service depends on the dealership and the tech, sound familiar?
Just mark me down for not yet exited.
Lets be specific here... Mercedes does not offer anything other than engine transmission and suspension. Everything else is a third party company that makes Sprinter and crafter. The engine itself on the sprinter is great but everything else sucks. Cargo capacity i low, sensor constantly go bad and other silly stuff brakes causing constant problems.
If dodge brings Daily on the market and not will ruin it by making any modifications, it will kill sprinter in every aspect.
Fiat Ducato is a nice van to compeat with fords E-line not really Sprinter. A true competition the the sprinter will be Iveco Daily.

johnshmit

:bounce:
If my grandma had balls she would be my grandpa
It is very hard to compare US Sprinter (available since 2002)
with a vehicle which you cannot buy yet with or without manual transmission.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Hey... isn't this Pope a Nazi? I guess he's suffers from 'mixed emotions'. He's in the vatican so Fiat... but his heart say's MB!

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
<snip>
Very true.

After 13 years, six job titles and essentially two, maybe three job descriptions at the same company, sometimes I struggle to remember my own tougher times, when I lived in my car for six months just so I could save enough money to buy an 80286 PC; maybe make something of myself. I guess it worked.

I was reminded of those times this morning on the way to to the office. I saw a hand reach out from behind thick, dark cloth - a moving blanket hung from the A and B pillars of an ancient and beaten Japanese import car - fingers pulling the edges of the fabric closer to one another, just to fend off the morning sun, keep yet another day from happening for just a few more minutes.

The top of a child seat was visible from the rear window.

I hope the next generation of cargo vans is a more affordable, durable generation of better work horses; I don't care whose name is on 'em.

-Jon

if these ducato vans are like the ones in the UK they will be dead by the time they get to 80,000 miles, you can buy second hand ones of these for the same price as a bag of chips! if you are considering one you cant possibly have driven a sprinter

Top Bottom